Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Bskanksters

Bskanksters

Just depositing some thoughts on the topic of banking. In my next life, Id like to come back as a bank. What a life!

But seriously, the shit surrounding so many major corps is really starting to stink!! I'm thinking there should be some type of fee assessed here, since that's the way banks like to handle things. How about "DBT Fee" Doing Business with Terrorists Fee?

Matt Taibbi said it best:

Wow. So the executives who spent a decade laundering billions of dollars will have to partially defer their bonuses during the five-year deferred prosecution agreement? Are you fucking kidding me? That's the punishment?

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics...-joke-20121213
    This type of behavior is waaay worse than bouncing a check, if you ask me.
    2015-AW-POETRY-CONTEST-SPACE

[
    My Best Work Is Done Offline]

Yes, that kind of "punishment" is meaningless. Not a single individual at HSBC was charged with a crime.
    Fiction blog as Manuel Royal: Donnetown Today or Recently (or a Long Time Ago)

Fiction column under my real name: Welcome to Smyrnings ; continued as Spland of the Splost

Six-minute YouTube video produced by SandJack from my short script (NSFW): Make The Baby

What else would you expect of an industry based on the dual frauds of fiat money and fractional-reserve banking, existing only through the largess of a political class declaring their crimes "legal" for a cut of the take? That bit of historical prestidigitation naturally set the stage for a Nixonesque "If we do it, it's not really illegal."

ETA: Extra points for "Bskanksters," BTW.
    I wrote a blog.
    Between a good and a bad economist this constitutes the whole difference - the one takes account of the visible effect;
    the other takes account both of the effects which are seen, and also of those which it is necessary to foresee. ~Frederic Bastiat
    Economics puts parameters on people’s utopias. ~Peter Boettke
    The 'social contract' is to the politician what 'original sin' is to the priest. ~Don
    The vision of the helpful and protective state is the most pervasive and counter-productive ideology in the world today. ~Don

I tend to blame the Feds for Don, actually.
    If they'd get it right, we wouldn't need Don pointing out that they'd gotten it wrong.
    ~ Medievalist

Oh, yes. It's all about "fiat money" and "fractional reserve banking." I mean, without those, it would be impossible to help someone hide the source of their income, right? And no one would ever fund anything shady, like drugs or war or assassination?

Or is this just a paper-thin attempt to derail YET ANOTHER thread onto your own personal hobby horse?
    ---------------------

Website where you can get sculptures made of your (or your child's) drawings.

My favorite indie musician could use some support.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey View Post
    . . . Or is this just a paper-thin attempt to derail YET ANOTHER thread onto your own personal hobby horse?

Gee Monkey, that seems a tad harsh for only the 2nd day of the year. Besides, Don's hobby horse barely rocks these days since he's gone to the gold standard!!

[

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey View Post
    Oh, yes. It's all about "fiat money" and "fractional reserve banking." I mean, without those, it would be impossible to help someone hide the source of their income, right? And no one would ever fund anything shady, like drugs or war or assassination?

Or is this just a paper-thin attempt to derail YET ANOTHER thread onto your own personal hobby horse?
    Fiat money was essentially created to fund warfare, FWIW, because governments couldn't afford wars if they had to be paid for up front with real wealth, so there's a lot of truth in your statement. As for hiding income and drugs, I've got nothing against either one, and it's probably best I not offer my opinion on assassination.

The point was that governments have been turning a blind eye to the machinations of their bskankster buddies in return for their support for about as long as there have been either one, so seeing banks walk away scott-free for things that would put mere mortals behind bars shouldn't be a shock to anybody.
    I wrote a blog.
    Between a good and a bad economist this constitutes the whole difference - the one takes account of the visible effect;
    the other takes account both of the effects which are seen, and also of those which it is necessary to foresee. ~Frederic Bastiat
    Economics puts parameters on people’s utopias. ~Peter Boettke
    The 'social contract' is to the politician what 'original sin' is to the priest. ~Don
    The vision of the helpful and protective state is the most pervasive and counter-productive ideology in the world today. ~Don

I tend to blame the Feds for Don, actually.
    If they'd get it right, we wouldn't need Don pointing out that they'd gotten it wrong.
    ~ Medievalist

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Fiat money was essentially created to fund warfare, FWIW, because governments couldn't afford wars if they had to be paid for up front with real wealth, so there's a lot of truth in your statement. As for hiding income and drugs, I've got nothing against either one, and it's probably best I not offer my opinion on assassination.

The point was that governments have been turning a blind eye to the machinations of their bskankster buddies in return for their support for about as long as there have been either one, so seeing banks walk away scott-free for things that would put mere mortals behind bars shouldn't be a shock to anybody.
    Money was created to fund warfare, Don. Money was also created for other things too as has fiat money. So please, get off that hobby horse and actually stick to the discussion at hand.

This space for rent
    As George Carlin once said, It's a big club and you ain't in it...

Settlements like these happen all the time (and not just for drug-related offenses), or at least it seems that way. If the penalty for robbing a bank was you had to give (some of) the money back, then there would a line of people in ski masks stretching down the block...

Same story, different names.
    Last edited by Johncs; 01-02-2013 at 11:32 PM. Reason: removed Carlin link (forgot how profane he sometimes got)

So, going beyong the "not surprised" reaction, I'd like to once again mention my "fee-based solution". In addition to the (meager) penalty already assessed (1.9 bil = 5 weeks skanky-bank income) I believe a $5 fee on each (deposit or withdrawal) transaction* for the five-year probation period would serve as a reminder as to the level of "trust" involved in financial exchanges. WTF???

Smartphones and tablets, by contrast, are radically changing bank customers' behaviour, causing them to visit their branch far less often but sharply to increase the number of transactions with their bank. When banks first introduced very basic mobile-banking systems that allowed customers to check their balance by text message, interactions went up from an average of nine to 20 a month, says CeCe Morken of Intuit, a maker of personal-finance software used by consumers and banks. When banks started to produce banking applications for smartphones with touch-screens, “we got shocked because engagement went up into the 30s,” says Ms Morken.
    . . . It reckons that the cost of handling a customer transaction via an automated telephone system is just 6% of what it would be in a branch. Some 93% of all of its customer transactions are now self-service.

http://money.usnews.com/money/person...-to-avoid-them
    Excellent article, btw.

*includes both person-to-person & all of those pesky phone app transactions.
    Last edited by Magdalen; 01-03-2013 at 01:40 AM. Reason: It's only a "withdrawl" if you live in TX

[