What's the most romantic thing you've ever experienced?

Chiquita Banana

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
libby-mercer.blogspot.com
Happy new year all!

I'm musing on blog post topics for the tail end of my book tour, and I thought it would be fun to do one on real life love stories. If you wouldn't mind sharing your romantic experiences, I'd be super grateful. :)

And also if you would include some kind of way to credit you, that would be great: Jane from Sydney, John from South Dakota or something. No need to use real info. You could make up a name if you want.

Thanks in advance!

Chiq

Chiquita Banana

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
libby-mercer.blogspot.com
To clarify, are you expecting people to write and submit the stories, or do you plan to interview them?

Hi Cath. I thought people might just post little tidbits I could use - not stories really, just little 1-2 sentence responses. That's okay though. I went ahead and wrote a post about a real life romantic hero from my past. :)

Parkinsonsd

Registered
Reaction score
I spent an evening in the back of my pickup listening to an Eddie Money tape eating Hostess blueberry pies and drinking champagne. My arm was around the most wonderful woman I've ever known, and we watched shooting stars flash across the crystal clear night sky. The pies were her idea.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
The first step onto the tarmac at the Oakland, California, airport, upon disembarking from the Army-chartered plane that brought me back from the Republic of Vietnam, 1 July 1970.

caw

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My husband all but crushing my hand when his oncologist told him he was in remission. My hand hurt for days, and every twinge reminded me that we once again had a shot at a long life together.

So far, so good.

Maryn, happily married

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
In high school, my girlfriend had a rough home life. I wrote her bedtime stories every night, so she could sleep more easily. Sometimes she would just read them as I wrote them over IM. Sometimes I would read them to her over the phone. They all were usually 1,000+ words each, all ending happily ever after.

We broke up in college, but I still have all of those stories saved as text files. Over a hundred of them.

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
Night in Montana. I was in my pjs watching tv in some cheesy little motel. My husband had gone out for a ride. He came back, told me he had to show me something. What about my pjs? Nobody will see, he said. Wait, I need my coat. He said he'd keep me warm.

He started driving, turned right onto a mountain road, drove a few minutes, then he slowed the car. Pulled over. This is it, he said. We both got out. He stood behind me, wrapped his arms around me.

Whispered, Look up.

Last edited:

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

KEEP IT CLEAN, WOMAN.

I'm Chinese-Indonesian. When my now-hubs and I were still dating, we got into a huge fight and I yelled, "You're not serious about us!"

He gaped at me for a bit and then said, "Ask me a mathematical problem."

"What's 27 times 15?"

"Okay something simpler."

"What's 27 plus 15?"

And, hesitantly, mangling the words, he said, "Empat puluh dua."

Turns out he'd been secretly learning Indonesian for me.

(Of course, he totally gave up a few months later. Until now the only things he can say in Indo are "I have a red car" and "I have two chickens", neither of which he has.)

crunchyblanket

the Juggernaut of Imperfection
Registered
Reaction score
"I have a red car" and "I have two chickens", neither of which he has
Maybe that's what he aspires to :D

I guess the most traditionally romantic thing I've ever experienced was Mr C sourcing a Claddagh ring from an Irish jeweller's just outside of the village my family come from in Co.Galway and having the words 'Is tú mo ghrá' inscribed on the inside. He bought it because I wanted to send my wedding ring away to be cleaned, and I don't have any replacement rings to wear (I don't really wear jewellery.)

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
In high school, my girlfriend had a rough home life. I wrote her bedtime stories every night, so she could sleep more easily. Sometimes she would just read them as I wrote them over IM. Sometimes I would read them to her over the phone. They all were usually 1,000+ words each, all ending happily ever after.

We broke up in college, but I still have all of those stories saved as text files. Over a hundred of them.
Wow. That's both amazingly creative and incredibly sweet.

My ex was in a bad situation too and I used to read him stories and poems over the phone because he liked to hear my voice, but they were all either not mine or stuff I'd written at other times and was just reading off the screen.

lastlittlebird

avem narrans
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lastlittlebird.blogspot.com
I haven't really had any romantic relationships, and I hope this doesn't sound creepy, but this thread made me think of holding my father's hand in the car after I got back from the Peace Corps, and singing "Dream a Little Dream" with him.
He'd never been a touchy feely kind of dad, so it made me realize he must have missed me.
His hands were so calloused they felt like they had been carved out of wood. He kept repeating the song, so we could keep singing it, even though neither of us can sing (it was his favorite song).
He died unexpectedly a few months later so I guess that's why the memory is so vivid.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe that's what he aspires to :D

The red car I won't mind so much. The chickens...as long as they're featherless and nicely packaged so as to be ready for the oven (this is the natural diet of hippos), then I'm all for it. :D

I guess the most traditionally romantic thing I've ever experienced was Mr C sourcing a Claddagh ring from an Irish jeweller's just outside of the village my family come from in Co.Galway and having the words 'Is tú mo ghrá' inscribed on the inside. He bought it because I wanted to send my wedding ring away to be cleaned, and I don't have any replacement rings to wear (I don't really wear jewellery.)

Is it a habit of his to get you beautiful replacements while the original item is sent away to be cleaned? 'Cause if that's the case, you should start sending clothes away to be dry-cleaned and letting him know... ;)

Seriously though, that is really sweet!