Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Y/A-Science Fiction

  1. #1
    Greetings from the Asylum BB_Baker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    33

    Y/A-Science Fiction

    I've been working on a novel that is Science Fiction with characters whose ages are more for Y/A. When submitting should I submit it as Y/A, Science Fiction or Y/A-Science Fiction.

    It really doesn't fit well in regular Y/A other than the characters ages. The story itself is Science Fiction, with Fantasy undertones.

    When asking for critiques is where I've had the most trouble with this. Some people want to critique only Y/A not Science Fiction, but since it's a little of both, I'm not sure what to say when I find someone to critique it.
    WiP - Na'Reth - Fantasy

    Blog Twitter

  2. #2
    Super Browser triceretops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    12,101
    Quote Originally Posted by BB_Baker View Post
    I've been working on a novel that is Science Fiction with characters whose ages are more for Y/A. When submitting should I submit it as Y/A, Science Fiction or Y/A-Science Fiction.

    It really doesn't fit well in regular Y/A other than the characters ages. The story itself is Science Fiction, with Fantasy undertones.

    When asking for critiques is where I've had the most trouble with this. Some people want to critique only Y/A not Science Fiction, but since it's a little of both, I'm not sure what to say when I find someone to critique it.
    Well, if I'm not mistaken, YA is a category and Science Fiction is the genre. So YA-science fiction is okay. I go a bit further and name my sub-genre. Example YA-SF-Distopian. Or it could be space opera, or fantasy.

    Not a huge thing to worry about, really.

    tri

  3. #3
    Greetings from the Asylum BB_Baker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    33
    Thanks for the comment. I've been wondering about that. It's more like Dune or John Carter than Star Wars. More Fantasy.
    WiP - Na'Reth - Fantasy

    Blog Twitter

  4. #4
    Super Browser triceretops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    12,101
    Quote Originally Posted by BB_Baker View Post
    Thanks for the comment. I've been wondering about that. It's more like Dune or John Carter than Star Wars. More Fantasy.
    Good for you. Now, I've read several accounts from reviewers and others that have said that Star Wars is space fantasy. I don't know how I feel about that. I've always considered SW a SF space opera. Dune and John Carter are definitely off -world and could be tagged SF adventure. Heck, I don't know. I'm not really a genre expert except for some basics. Hang tight and see what others say.

    tri

    And good luck. I love and write this stuff too.

  5. #5
    Who rules?! Hyrules! Liosse de Velishaf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
    Posts
    9,372
    Have you posted some in any of the SYW forums?



    A first step might be leaving out that slash in YA.

  6. #6
    The colors! THE COLORS! leahzero's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    2,193
    Subgenre isn't really a big deal at this stage--I'd be more concerned with figuring out whether it's YA or adult. You said the ages of the characters are the only thing that makes it seem YA, so it's not likely that it is YA. YA focuses pretty strictly on coming of age issues.
    UNTEACHABLE
    BLACK IRIS
    CAMGIRL - 2015
    Untitled Book #4 - 2016-ish

    My self-publishing saga, in all its gory detail, is here.

  7. #7
    Greetings from the Asylum BB_Baker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    33
    The MC is 17, and most of the story is about her finding out who she is and if she handle the responsibilities that are suddenly thrust on her. It's kind of a coming of age type story. She finds something out about her family she never knew, through a tragedy, and the story takes off from there.

    In response to Liosse de Velishaf, I don't have the 50 posts to share my work.
    WiP - Na'Reth - Fantasy

    Blog Twitter

  8. #8
    Who rules?! Hyrules! Liosse de Velishaf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
    Posts
    9,372
    Quote Originally Posted by BB_Baker View Post
    The MC is 17, and most of the story is about her finding out who she is and if she handle the responsibilities that are suddenly thrust on her. It's kind of a coming of age type story. She finds something out about her family she never knew, through a tragedy, and the story takes off from there.

    In response to Liosse de Velishaf, I don't have the 50 posts to share my work.

    Sounds like YA to me.

    And yeah, I realized that after I posted. Sorry.

  9. #9
    Super Browser triceretops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    12,101
    I disagree about sub-genre not being important here. The Hunger Games is obviously YA, yet it if you left it at that you would be tagging it as contemporary. Contemporary it is not. It has been described (unfortunately) by slew of readers and reviewers as, YA Science Fiction (Future), YA Distopian, YA Speculative, YA Post-Apocalyptic, and YA Science Fiction Adventure.

    Correct me if I'm wrong here. Isn't YA a category? Not a genre?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Custom Search