Some of your all-time favorites

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Oooh...did it say only movies in the OP? Sorry if I missed that.

I'm thinking of another...

Oh! Fight Club.
And American History X.

I love Edward Norton.

No, that's okay- no worries. Yeah, he is something else, this guy. I remember the first time I saw him was in that one he did with Richard Gere- can't think of the name, but he was an altar boy who kills a priest. Norton was great in that Spike Lee thing, too- 25th Hour. And American History X, wow, just great. Great call on Edward Norton

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
The Verdict
Fandango
Diner
The Graduate
Wall Street
Animal House
The Godfather
The Culpepper Cattle Company
Just Like Heaven
Easy Rider
Annie Hall

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
The Verdict
Fandango
Diner
The Graduate
Wall Street
Animal House
The Godfather
The Culpepper Cattle Company
Just Like Heaven
Easy Rider
Annie Hall

Alotta great calls, Vito- Bravissimo!

So, you prefer God I to God II? I wonder if you've ever seen the one they put together chronologically called The Saga.

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
So, you prefer God I to God II? I wonder if you've ever seen the one they put together chronologically called The Saga.

I've caught a few scenes of the saga, but never watched it all the way through. Probably will, someday.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
I've caught a few scenes of the saga, but never watched it all the way through. Probably will, someday.

It's interesting to see it in order- Split II in half, put the De Niro stuff up front, the Vegas/Havana stuff, etc, in the back, and I in between. If I'm not mistaken (I often really am) there are some previously cut scenes in there as well.

Another one I really like, but isn't necessarily a great movie...

Family Business, starring Sean Connery, Dustin Hoffman, and Matthew Broderick- Connery is perfect as a career thief and father to Hoffman, ex protege of Connery's now in the meat business trying to keep his nose clean, and father to Broderick who idolizes Connery.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
I may have talked up these on here before, but a few that are relatively unknown but worthy as any, and worth mentioning if you've ever complained that the best movies, books, music, sometimes doesn't get its due.

Always Outnumbered, Lawrence Fischburne

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Always_Outnumbered

Panic, William H. Macy, Donald Sutherland, Tracey Ullman

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panic_(2000_film)

You Can Count on Me, Mark Ruffalo and Laura Linney

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_Can_Count_on_Me

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Well, part of my love for American Beauty is probably that it was an *exact* portrayal of my life as a teenager (minus the dramatic ending). I felt like I knew all the characters personally, but yet that story let me see it all from another perspective which was so much more enlightening. It just captured that combination of soullessness and beauty that was middle America at the turn of the millennium in such a potent way.

I can't say anything about Ricky's family surprised me. I knew what was going on there very early in the film, because that *was* my ex's family. But I was very surprised by the honesty at the end of the movie, when Ricky's father puts the moves on Lester and Angela turns out to be a virgin. The scope and simultaneous pettiness of the deceptions. There's also the way Jane hates her parents, not for anything terrible, but just because they're so ordinarily flawed. And the movie never tries to make her out to be a bad person for that, or to redeem the family. It just *is*.

I should add that I saw American Beauty for the first time when I was 15 and I hated it. I was still deeply immersed in the dynamics the movie portrayed and couldn't stand that level of honesty, so I wrote it off as artsy crap. I saw it again by accident when I was 22 and it remains the only movie I've ever 100% changed my opinion of on the second viewing.

Something about the way American Beauty was made is so unpretentious, if that makes sense. I've seen other movies that tried to capture the essence of the struggles of ordinary middle-class America and they were all boring or laughably dramatized or just plain wrong. I'm doing a lousy job of explaining this, lol.

Myrealana, I almost put Lethal Weapon on my list too. The performances in that movie are incredible. If only the action sequences themselves lived up to the same quality as the writing and acting.

Just want to mention up front that Peter Gallagher, The RE King, is someone whom I've never seen turn in a bad performance. Caught him the other night in one with Billy Baldwin, a white supremacist movie that wasn't all that good but Gallagher was good.

For me, with American Beauty, I think I related to much of what Kevin Spacey was feeling. Nothing horrible, but dead, or, as he said "sedated". I think it's just the nature of being a family man, a husband, a father, and maybe it's a certain type of personality. And the feel of this flick- to me surreal- and that is how it feels to be in that state of mind. Here, but not here, a bit of a glaze over everything. When he first spots the Mena Suvari character at the basketball game and goes into a kind of trance, I know what that feels like. It's not about lusting over an underage girl as much as it's lusting over your lost youth.

When he talks about flipping hamburgers for an entire summer so he could by a tape player for his car, also the way he talks about his cousins car, smoking pot and listening to the music of his youth, that whole sequence in the end after he's been shot, lying in the grass staring up at the starry summer sky. I guess we all feel that way at times. Has something to do with spiritual escape and survival.

druid12000

You're out of your tree...
Registered
Reaction score
The dark side of the moon, making sinister plans..
No, that's okay- no worries. Yeah, he is something else, this guy. I remember the first time I saw him was in that one he did with Richard Gere- can't think of the name, but he was an altar boy who kills a priest. Norton was great in that Spike Lee thing, too- 25th Hour. And American History X, wow, just great. Great call on Edward Norton

The name of that movie is 'Primal Fear', and yes, it was awesome!

And 'Bringing Out the Dead' is pretty awesome too...

Good lord, 'Leaving Las Vegas', another Nicholas Cage that was brilliant :)

Liralen

Miss Conceived
Registered
Reaction score
The Invention of Lying. A truly wicked little film.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Like many, I treasure a lot of the highly popular classics, which is why they have become highly popular classics. So I'll confine my list here to less-known movies deserving a wider audience:

The Man Who Would Be King, a swashbuckling big-screen adventure film starring Sean Connery, Michael Caine and Christopher Plummer, directed by John Huston.

Sorcerer, a noir re-telling of a 1950s French film titled The Wages of Fear (a better title). Stars Roy Scheider and a cast of little-known foreign actors. Gritty and brilliant.

The Wrong Box, a 1960s slapstick farce starring Michael Caine, Peter Cooke, Dudley Moore and Sir Ralph Richardson, with a wonderful cameo appearance by Peter Sellers. Based on a tale by Robert Louis Stevenson. Laugh-out-loud stuff the Monty Python guys would have been proud of.

Posse, a 1960-ish Western, in black-and-white, starring Kirk Douglas and Bruce Dern in unexpected roles.

The Fixer, starring Alan Bates, based on a great novel by Bernard Malamud. Tale of a persecuted Jewish merchant in eastern Europe, who triumphs through personal virtue.

The Chosen, based on the Chaim Potok novel of the same title, starring Robbie Benson, Barry Miller, Maximilian Schell and Rod STeiger. Tale of the post-WWII conflict between two sons of very different Jewish traditions. Steiger, who was not Jewish, should have got an Oscar for his dead-on portrayal of a Lubovitcher Hasidic rabbi.

The Illustrated Man, based on stories from Ray Bradbury's collection of the same name. again starring Rod Steiger and a little-known actor named Robert Drivas.

Matewan, one of the first major roles for the excellent Chris Cooper, based on the true story of an early 20th-century labor dispute in the coal fields of Appalachia.

October Sky, another Chris Cooper starring role, along with the big movie break for Jake Gyllenhaal. Based on another true story out of Appalachia.

Mystery Men. For me an oddly under-appreciated satire ranking up with the much better-known Galaxy Quest as an affectionate put-down of genre clichés. GQ was a hit on Star Trek and other SF tropes, Mystery Men goes after superhero movies with the same gusto. And a stellar cast: William H. Macy, Greg Kinnear, Jeanine Garofolo, Hank Azaria, Eddie Izzard, Ben Stiller, Tom Waits, Wes Studi, Paul Reubens and, wonderfully, Geoffrey Rush in full bloom.

Chinatown. Just had to mention this. Possibly my all-time most favoritest movie ever.

caw

druid12000

You're out of your tree...
Registered
Reaction score
The dark side of the moon, making sinister plans..
Like many, I treasure a lot of the highly popular classics, which is why they have become highly popular classics. So I'll confine my list here to less-known movies deserving a wider audience:

The Man Who Would Be King, a swashbuckling big-screen adventure film starring Sean Connery, Michael Caine and Christopher Plummer, directed by John Huston.

Sorcerer, a noir re-telling of a 1950s French film titled The Wages of Fear (a better title). Stars Roy Scheider and a cast of little-known foreign actors. Gritty and brilliant.

The Wrong Box, a 1960s slapstick farce starring Michael Caine, Peter Cooke, Dudley Moore and Sir Ralph Richardson, with a wonderful cameo appearance by Peter Sellers. Based on a tale by Robert Louis Stevenson. Laugh-out-loud stuff the Monty Python guys would have been proud of.

Posse, a 1960-ish Western, in black-and-white, starring Kirk Douglas and Bruce Dern in unexpected roles.

The Fixer, starring Alan Bates, based on a great novel by Bernard Malamud. Tale of a persecuted Jewish merchant in eastern Europe, who triumphs through personal virtue.

The Chosen, based on the Chaim Potok novel of the same title, starring Robbie Benson, Barry Miller, Maximilian Schell and Rod STeiger. Tale of the post-WWII conflict between two sons of very different Jewish traditions. Steiger, who was not Jewish, should have got an Oscar for his dead-on portrayal of a Lubovitcher Hasidic rabbi.

The Illustrated Man, based on stories from Ray Bradbury's collection of the same name. again starring Rod Steiger and a little-known actor named Robert Drivas.

Matewan, one of the first major roles for the excellent Chris Cooper, based on the true story of an early 20th-century labor dispute in the coal fields of Appalachia.

October Sky, another Chris Cooper starring role, along with the big movie break for Jake Gyllenhaal. Based on another true story out of Appalachia.

Mystery Men. For me an oddly under-appreciated satire ranking up with the much better-known Galaxy Quest as an affectionate put-down of genre clichés. GQ was a hit on Star Trek and other SF tropes, Mystery Men goes after superhero movies with the same gusto. And a stellar cast: William H. Macy, Greg Kinnear, Jeanine Garofolo, Hank Azaria, Eddie Izzard, Ben Stiller, Tom Waits, Wes Studi, Paul Reubens and, wonderfully, Geoffrey Rush in full bloom.

Chinatown. Just had to mention this. Possibly my all-time most favoritest movie ever.

caw

Excellent film and, yes, underrated and under-appreciated. Paul Reubens tends to be underrated as an actor, I'd like to see him in more roles. His 'death' scene in 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer' was one of the campiest, funniest things I've ever seen :)

Another one I forgot, 'Fargo'.
Ah, Geez!

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
The African Queen
The Quiet Man
Fantasia
Fried Green Tomatoes
Momento

Oh, and. . .

Terms of Endearment
Shane
Dog Day Afternoon
Marathon Man
The Breakfast Club
Twelve Angry Men
Frenzy
Midnight Cowboy. . .

Last edited:

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
One that I love but haven't ruined for myself- since it's rarely on- is Save The Tiger with Jack Lemmon. Jack's owner of an L.A. garment business in trouble, and is planning to torch the place. This was a book which I've read. The book written by a screenwriter is not very well written, but the story on screen is pretty much in tact.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Save_the_Tiger

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
Family Business, starring Sean Connery, Dustin Hoffman, and Matthew Broderick- Connery is perfect as a career thief and father to Hoffman, ex protege of Connery's now in the meat business trying to keep his nose clean, and father to Broderick who idolizes Connery.

That sounds pretty good. I'll check it out.

I've actually only seen a few Sean Connery movies -- a couple Bond films, and "The Anderson Tapes", which came out in 1972. Sean plays an ex-con who leads a gang of oddball thieves in an outrageous robbery caper. Definitely worth a look! :Thumbs:

Camilla Delvalle

Dreaming of other times
Registered
Reaction score
Some of my absolute favourites, unordered:

Kimi ni todoke
Maria sama ga miteru
The Fountain
What Dreams May Come
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
Fucking Åmål
Juloratoriet
The Neverending Story

Quantum1019

Registered
Reaction score
Just a handful of movies off the top of my head that I never seem to get tired of:

Laura
Arsenic and Old Lace
The Searchers
The Adventures of Robin Hood
The Silence of the Lambs
the first three James Bond films (Dr. No, From Russia With Love, Goldfinger)
the Indiana Jones movies (the first three; I have not and will not see the fourth)
The Maltese Falcon
The Exorcist

Ashwood

supercalifragilisticexpia lidocious
Registered
Reaction score
Anchorman

Please don't let that determine your intellectual opinion of me. :D It's seriously in my top five.

Also:
Empire of the Sun
The Englishman Who Went Up A Hill
The Princess Bride
Run Fat Boy Run
Master and Commander
Elf
Rush Hour
Tommy Boy
The Hunt for the Red October
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
MARY POPPINS! AWWW YEAAH
Empire Strikes Back

K. Q. Watson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Flight of Dragons
The Dark Crystal
Requiem for a Dream
REPO! The Genetic Opera
Suck
SE7EN
Bram Stoker's Dracula
Emperor's New Groove

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
Can't believe I forgot to put "Apocalypse Now" on my list. :e2smack:

And while I'm here, I'll add "Dazed and Confused".

brasiliareview

author of Sweet Bread
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brasiliareview.org
- Cries and Whispers
- Nights of Cabiria
- Richard III (Olivier's)
- My Own Private Idaho
- La Soufriere
- Mouchette
- Children of Paradise
- Stolen Kisses
- Ran
- My Life as a Dog
- O Cheiro do Ralo

FantasticF

Going Ham
Registered
Reaction score
Here's 10 of my favorite films:

Return of the Living Dead
Last Action Hero
The Shawshank Redemption
The Shining
Training Day
Halloween 2 (the original, not Rob Zombie's rendition)
The Lost Boys
Highlander
Cape Fear
FEAR

I tried to provide a little mix in my list but...

You can probably tell that I lean mostly towards horror/thrillers.

But if you asked me my all time favorite action film...

Last Action Hero would be at the very top of that list. Just saying.

Last edited:

Southern_girl29

Registered
Reaction score
Movies:
Shawshank Redemption
Steel Magnolias
Fried Green Tomatoes
Up
Finding Nemo (I haven't seen much animation on anyone's list, but I can't help it. I think these are two of the best animated films ever. Just thinking about the beginning of Up can make me teary-eyed.)
It's a Wonderful Life

TV shows:
The Golden Girls
Roseanne
Frasier
Little House on the Prairie (don't life, I've always loved that show)

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Creature from the Black Lagoon
Them!
The.Thing From Another World
Forbidden Planet
Casablanca
The Maltese Falcon
North by Northwest
Rear Window
The Music Man
Wizard of Oz
Day the Earth Stood Still
King Kong
Harvey
Shane

for some reason I'm having a hard time remembering movies today.