Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Some of your all-time favorites

Self-Banned

Some of your all-time favorites

Any era, genre, etc.

Some of mine:

Unforgiven
    In the Heat of the Night
    Bugsy
    On The Waterfront
    Mystic River
    State of Grace
    Salvador
    Godfather II
    Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
    American Beauty
    Gotti- made for HBO, Assante
    Pope of Greenwich Village
    From Here to Eternity
    The Graduate
    Shampoo
    Hud
    Hombre

Just for starters-- I'm curious how many of these and others we will have in common

My top favorite films:

2001 A Space Odyssey
    MASH
    Woodstock
    The Shining
    Star Trek The Motion Picture

And I really like Heaven's Gate.
    -

Blog
    Facebook
    Four books at the Absolute Write Library

Currently revising: MOUNTAIN MAGIC
    Currently trying to write: SNOWED IN

Self-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by underthecity View Post
    My top favorite films:

2001 A Space Odyssey
    MASH
    Woodstock
    The Shining
    Star Trek The Motion Picture

And I really like Heaven's Gate.
    MASH could easily make my list. Heaven's Gate was the one that nearly did in Michael Cimino, right? I've never seen it. He did do Deer Hunter as well, another one of my favorites. Maybe I need to give Heaven's Gate a chance. Thanks

They just remastered Heaven's Gate for Blu Ray, and it has a gorgeous picture. The cinematography is breathtaking in HG, but it suffers from a lot of problems that Cimino was responsible for. The movie did almost ruin his career and caused the parent company of United Artists to sell the studio to MGM.

Regardless of the problems, overall I do like the movie because of the things that do work. It doesn't make my top 5 favorite of all time, though.
    -

Blog
    Facebook
    Four books at the Absolute Write Library

Currently revising: MOUNTAIN MAGIC
    Currently trying to write: SNOWED IN

Self-Banned
    I either didn't know or had forgotten that about United Artists. The film must have had a big budget.

A few more of my all-time favorites:

Some of these may or may not be widely considered to be great movies.

Harper- Paul Newman, just love the feel of this- a bit lighthearted- I love the '60's Southern CA atmosphere

Three Days of the Condor- the opening of this movie, or the inciting incident that happens about 10 minutes in, is classic- Redford, a non-operative, CIA researcher comes back from lunch to find that all of his fellow researchers have been killed. He spends the rest of the movie trying to find out who and why, while at the same time trying not to let them finish the job

Affliction with Nick Nolte- James Coburn, his alcoholic, abusive father is perfectly despicable

Nuts with Streisand and Richard Dreyfuss as her court appointed attorney- She's a call girl who kills an attacker, Leslie Nielsen- Karl Malden is her step father who we find had sexually abused her- her mother, Maureen Stapleton lives in denial. The point of this film comes clear when Streisand takes the stand in her own trial to determine if she is in fact, nuts. Who's more nuts, a high priced Park Avenue call girl, or a middle class suburban housewife who sells out her daughter and her soul?

we are the words 'i love you' kuwisdelu's Avatar
    End of Evangelion
    Arizona Dream
    Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind
    Dead Man
    Adolescence of Utena
    5 Centimeters per Second
    (a blog.) ...last updated 15 June 2015

Self-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kuwisdelu View Post
    End of Evangelion
    Arizona Dream
    Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind
    Dead Man
    Adolescence of Utena
    5 Centimeters per Second
    Only have seen Sunshine and Arizona Dream. I want to take another look at Arizona Dream, and I'll try to find Dead Man. That looks like something I'd enjoy. Johnny Depp is to me a great actor, and Vincent Gallo is a talented guy. His Buffalo 66 is a good one. I loved Depp in Blow and Donnie Brasco.

Eternal Sunshine, I really liked. Jim Carey is one of those rare actors equally good in dramas and comedies. I would add Robin Williams and Bill Murray to the list.
    Last edited by Bebop; 01-02-2013 at 04:54 AM. Reason: realized post made no sense

Quote Originally Posted by Bebop View Post
    Unforgiven
    In the Heat of the Night
    Bugsy
    Godfather II
    American Beauty
    From Here to Eternity
    The Graduate
    Hombre
    I would also throw in π (Pi), Suspiria, A Night At The Opera, The Wild Bunch (and Pat Garrett And Billy The Kid if we are allowed two from the same director), Dawn Of The Dead (the original, and the uncut US version at that), Bride Of Frankenstein, Eraserhead...
    The blog, which may not be updated regularly enough. -- I'm linking to other AW blogs here. -- There's some nonsense here when I can be bothered.
    Don't hold your breath...

Quote Originally Posted by AbielleRose View Post
    Dude, I am not that flexible.
    Quote Originally Posted by aliwood View Post
    The SFF Review Educational Supplement is now open. I'll be listing books, podcasts, online courses and anything else that aims to help the SFF writer improve their skills, provided they're free. (the books, podcasts, online courses and anything else, not the writers)

The British Comics Database is growing. Or mutating. I'm not quite sure which, yet.

You're out of your tree... druid12000's Avatar
    The dark side of the moon, making sinister plans...
    This is not a complete list, just off the top of my head:

The Shawshank Redemption
    Cool Hand Luke
    Star Wars
    The Matrix
    Aliens
    The Big Lebowski
    The Boondock Saints
    Young Frankenstein
    Benny and Joon
    Office Space
    ...this could be a long list so I'll just stop there for now
    " My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know. Everybody you see. Everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake and they live in a state of constant total amazement." ~ from 'Joe vs the Volcano'

Creepy Centipede Chasing the Horizon's Avatar
    Flight of Dragons
    Natural Born Killers
    Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl
    American Beauty

Yeah, they have nothing in common except that each of them captured something that amazed me. I can't even say if they're objectively good movies, because I love the stories and characters far beyond the point of objectivity.

There are hundreds of other movies I thought were good and enjoyed. But those are the four that left me feeling like I'd seen something that truly changed my view of the world and storytelling. All four inspired me to immediately play them a second time when the credits rolled, and I still have an emotional reaction to certain moments in them, even though I've seen them all hundreds of times.

March Editing Goal: 8/10 chapters

Dust
    Quills
    Ever After
    Heavy Metal
    Mirrormask
    Prospero's Book
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
    The Red Violin
    Fantasia and Fantasia 2000
    Pride and Prejudice
    Alice in Wonderland (2010)
    The creative writing process is a lot like emotional binge and purge cycles.

Can you find the Pitbull?

WIP ~ The Black Dog Dialogues: At the raw, dark fringes of exhaustion, there is The Black Dog

Quote Originally Posted by Liralen View Post
    Dust
    Quills
    Ever After
    Heavy Metal
    Mirrormask
    Prospero's Book
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
    The Red Violin
    Fantasia and Fantasia 2000
    Pride and Prejudice
    Alice in Wonderland (2010)
    Great film! The animation was lacking somewhat, by today's standards, but the stories were great.
    " My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know. Everybody you see. Everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake and they live in a state of constant total amazement." ~ from 'Joe vs the Volcano'

Quote Originally Posted by druid12000 View Post
    The Matrix
    Watching that is... problematic. I limit myself to one or two viewings a year, otherwise I would start taking it apart and seeing where the Wachowski Bros took all their ideas from. Some of it is really blatant, but the subtler steals take a few viewings to pick up on.

Office Space
    Ah. This.

The Red Violin
    Given how many times I have seen it, that probably should have been on my list as well.
    The blog, which may not be updated regularly enough. -- I'm linking to other AW blogs here. -- There's some nonsense here when I can be bothered.

The SFF Review Educational Supplement is now open. I'll be listing books, podcasts, online courses and anything else that aims to help the SFF writer improve their skills, provided they're free. (the books, podcasts, online courses and anything else, not the writers)

The British Comics Database is growing. Or mutating. I'm not quite sure which, yet.

Casablanca
    The Princess Bride
    Memento
    Lethal Weapon
    The Indiana Jones trilogy - Shut up. There are only three movies.
    LOTR Trilogy
    Arsenic and Old Lace
    It's A Wonderful Life
    Psycho
    Life is Beautiful
    -- Myrea
    "When it comes down to it itís always, always you and the white page. At the end of the day if the page is blank, itís won.Donít let the page win."
    Alasdair Stewart

The Pudgy Ninja Weighs In

Self-Banned
    This is not a complete list, just off the top of my head:

The Shawshank Redemption
    Cool Hand Luke
    Star Wars
    The Matrix
    Aliens
    The Big Lebowski
    The Boondock Saints
    Young Frankenstein
    Benny and Joon
    Office Space
    ...this could be a long list so I'll just stop there for now
    I like a lot of these, too. At this time though, I may have temporarily ruined a couple of them for myself, after just watching them too many times. Cool Hand Luke especially. Paul Newman did a lot of great movies, didn't he? Another one of his I really like is The Verdict.

Oh, and Office Space, which I really like and haven't seen in a while, for some reason reminds me of one called The Baxter- maybe they came out about the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing the Horizon View Post
    Flight of Dragons
    Natural Born Killers
    Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl
    American Beauty

Yeah, they have nothing in common except that each of them captured something that amazed me. I can't even say if they're objectively good movies, because I love the stories and characters far beyond the point of objectivity.

There are hundreds of other movies I thought were good and enjoyed. But those are the four that left me feeling like I'd seen something that truly changed my view of the world and storytelling. All four inspired me to immediately play them a second time when the credits rolled, and I still have an emotional reaction to certain moments in them, even though I've seen them all hundreds of times.
    What do you think it is about American Beauty? Sometimes beyond story and acting, for me it's just the feeling you get. Something about that movie that is totally realistic, yet with a surreal overtone. In that case, I guess it could just be the dreamlike state of the main character. Also, the father and son in that thing, the Chris Cooper and Wes Bentley characters, that dynamic, that family, was so textbook, especially with the compliant, toowornout or beatendown to complain mother- and yet what was underneath, the fear of the father was for me, a surprise.

And I don't know how everyone feels about scores, how important the music is to a movie. My take on it is, great music can not save a bad movie, but bad music can ruin a good one. The American Beauty theme is haunting, and though what's important is of course the acting and writing, that music only adds to the full effect of the film.
    Last edited by Bebop; 01-02-2013 at 10:50 PM.

Creepy Centipede Chasing the Horizon's Avatar
    What do you think it is about American Beauty? Sometimes beyond story and acting, for me it's just the feeling you get. Something about that movie that is totally realistic, yet with a surreal overtone. In that case, I guess it could just be the dreamlike state of the main character. Also, the father and son in that thing, the Chris Cooper and Wes Bentley characters, that dynamic, that family, was so textbook, especially with the compliant, toowornout or beatendown to complain mother- and yet what was underneath, the fear of the father was for me, a surprise.
    Well, part of my love for American Beauty is probably that it was an *exact* portrayal of my life as a teenager (minus the dramatic ending). I felt like I knew all the characters personally, but yet that story let me see it all from another perspective which was so much more enlightening. It just captured that combination of soullessness and beauty that was middle America at the turn of the millennium in such a potent way.

I can't say anything about Ricky's family surprised me. I knew what was going on there very early in the film, because that *was* my ex's family. But I was very surprised by the honesty at the end of the movie, when Ricky's father puts the moves on Lester and Angela turns out to be a virgin. The scope and simultaneous pettiness of the deceptions. There's also the way Jane hates her parents, not for anything terrible, but just because they're so ordinarily flawed. And the movie never tries to make her out to be a bad person for that, or to redeem the family. It just *is*.

I should add that I saw American Beauty for the first time when I was 15 and I hated it. I was still deeply immersed in the dynamics the movie portrayed and couldn't stand that level of honesty, so I wrote it off as artsy crap. I saw it again by accident when I was 22 and it remains the only movie I've ever 100% changed my opinion of on the second viewing.

Something about the way American Beauty was made is so unpretentious, if that makes sense. I've seen other movies that tried to capture the essence of the struggles of ordinary middle-class America and they were all boring or laughably dramatized or just plain wrong. I'm doing a lousy job of explaining this, lol.

Myrealana, I almost put Lethal Weapon on my list too. The performances in that movie are incredible. If only the action sequences themselves lived up to the same quality as the writing and acting.

March Editing Goal: 8/10 chapters

So many movies, so little time in which to watch them...

Okay, pre-80's--which is when they stopped making decent flicks () here are my picks.

The Ten Commandments
    El Hombre Quieto
    The Whole Town's Talking
    Anything with Barbara Stanwyck, particularly Remember the Night, Babyface, and Meet John Doe
    Will Penny
    Bad Day at Black Rock
    The Seven Samurai and Yojimbo, both by Kurosawa
    Detour (always liked Edgar Ulmer--Eugene Levy should play him in a movie if they ever do a bio-flick)
    Night of the Living Dead (the original)

Post-80's

Superman (okay, 1978, but close enough for 80's in my book)
    Raiders of the Lost Ark
    Gangs of New York
    Good Will Hunting
    The Shawshank Redemption
    The Dark Knight Trilogy
    The Spiderman Trilogy by Raimi
    The Evil Dead (#3 in the series, the original one, I mean)
    Bubba Hotep
    Cabin in the Woods
    Ironman 1 and 2--eagerly waiting #3
    The Avengers--eagerly awaiting the sequel

There are more and all of these choices are in no particular order. I just like these films for the variety they give.

I can't believe I forgot to put Sucker Punch on my list.
    The creative writing process is a lot like emotional binge and purge cycles.

Can you find the Pitbull?

WIP ~ The Black Dog Dialogues: At the raw, dark fringes of exhaustion, there is The Black Dog

Self-Banned
    Anyone see that Sydney Lumet film with Nolte, Tim Hutton, Armand Assante, "Q&A"? One of those that I can't figure why it's not better known. To me, Nolte's one of those guys, just gets better with age. And Lumet, well, he did another one of my favorites, "Dog Day Afternoon". But I've seen it too many times, so won't watch it now. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q%26A_%28film%29

Lumet also did "The Pawnbroker" with Rod Steiger, and "Serpico". And one of my definite all-time favorites "Network", written by Paddy Chayefsky. Lumet's last film I believe was "Before the Devil Knows Your Dead"- he passed recently.

Also, crazy, but unless I've missed it, no one's mentioned a Martin Scorsese movie. Anyone got a favorite Scorsese flick?

Either GoodFellas, Bringing Out The Dead or The Departed - tough to make a decision on which is "better".

Self-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BigWords View Post
    Either GoodFellas, Bringing Out The Dead or The Departed - tough to make a decision on which is "better".
    You know, Bringing out the Dead is one I don't know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bringing_Out_the_Dead

Looks like something I'd like, glad you mentioned it.

You forget, or I do at least, all the great movies he did.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_...se_filmography

I'd recommend, for anyone who hasn't seen it, to check out King of Comedy, with De Niro, Sandra Bernhardt, and Jerry Lewis. I just think of some of the scenes in this thing and I laugh. "Mo-om! I'm rehearsing!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3THyEP4c1E

I can't believe I forgot to put Sucker Punch on my list.
    I didn't like it the first time through but decided to give it another chance. So glad I did! Visually stunning and great story once you figure it out

I should be writing. Alpha Echo's Avatar
    The Sopranos
    The Wire
    The Wizard of Oz
    I Love Lucy
    Crash
    My So-Called Life
    The Sound of Music
    Breakfast at Tiffany's
    The Little Princess
    Cheers
    The Cosby Show
    Friends
    The Princess Bride
    Dirty Dancing
    Ever After

I'm sure there are more. But those are off the top of my head.
    "All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible"
    T.H Lawrence

Self-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Echo View Post
    The Sopranos
    The Wire
    The Wizard of Oz
    I Love Lucy
    Crash
    My So-Called Life
    The Sound of Music
    Breakfast at Tiffany's
    The Little Princess
    Cheers
    The Cosby Show
    Friends
    The Princess Bride
    Dirty Dancing
    Ever After

I'm sure there are more. But those are off the top of my head.
    Hi Alpha- thanks for these. A lot of TV shows in there, but I don't mind, especially when you start it off with The Sopranos- in my mind, the best TV drama ever made. Been rewatching lately- The only problem I have with the show, is every time you started to follow a character line, before you knew it, the character got whacked!

Breakfast at Tiffany's, I really like Audrey Hepburn, but then, what red-blooded, American boy, oh never mind... But, I'll tell you, that Henry Mancini theme, is reason enough to love this one.

Nice tribute to Audrey...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6krFBlOx-M

But the Johnny Mercer lyrics, oh my...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGCEH6hpI-Y

I should be writing. Alpha Echo's Avatar
    Hi Alpha- thanks for these. A lot of TV shows in there, but I don't mind, especially when you start it off with The Sopranos- in my mind, the best TV drama ever made. Been rewatching lately- The only problem I have with the show, is every time you started to follow a character line, before you knew it, the character got whacked!

Breakfast at Tiffany's, I really like Audrey Hepburn, but then, what red-blooded, American boy, oh never mind... But, I'll tell you, that Henry Mancini theme, is reason enough to love this one.

Nice tribute to Audrey...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6krFBlOx-M

But the Johnny Mercer lyrics, oh my...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGCEH6hpI-Y
    Oooh...did it say only movies in the OP? Sorry if I missed that.

I'm thinking of another...

Oh! Fight Club.
    And American History X.

I love Edward Norton.
    "All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible"
    T.H Lawrence

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast