Status
Not open for further replies.

pinkrobot

I poke badgers with spoons
Registered
Reaction score
Website
impossiblewords.wordpress.com
I'm working on a book that I'd like to self-publish, and I'd really like to include some of the content I've posted on my personal blog over the years. I know you can't try to get published by an agency using content you've published online, but can I use it if I'm self-publishing?

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
If it's your content, it's yours - do what you want to with it!

But remember the old "won't buy the cow if they can get the milk for free," idea. You might want to take down the blog content if it's a significant part of your book.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I'm working on a book that I'd like to self-publish, and I'd really like to include some of the content I've posted on my personal blog over the years. I know you can't try to get published by an agency using content you've published online, but can I use it if I'm self-publishing?

My bold.

Agents don't publish books: they work for authors and help them find publishers for their books.

Trade publishers do publish books which started off as blogs: it's similar to publishing books compiled from newspaper articles. Consider Ben Goldacre's Bad Science, which started off as articles for the Guardian and for Mr Goldacre's very popular blog of the same name. The important part is that your writing is good.

If you still want to self publish then you have no problems. You own the copyright to all your own work: you can do what you like with it.

valeriec80

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
But remember the old "won't buy the cow if they can get the milk for free," idea. You might want to take down the blog content if it's a significant part of your book.

I have nine books available free on the internet. Six of them are my very best sellers.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Another example of someone who published a novel online that was later picked up by a publisher is John Scalzi. He had a recent post about it, for the 10th anniversary of getting the offer on Old Man's War.

The caveat is that this method of getting a publishing contract is far more rare than the submitting to agent/publisher route. And as Old Hack points out, the writing has to be *really really good*.

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
I have nine books available free on the internet. Six of them are my very best sellers.

Do you have a theory about why that is? It seems strange that people would buy something they could get for free...

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Valerie, do you include your free downloads towards the numbers your best-sellers shift? If so, might that explain why they're your best sellers?

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
I put the first few chapters of any book on my web site. I try to make them good enough to be enjoyed by very critical readers, but they ARE drafts and I expect to get some negative comments. Sometimes they are very helpful and I re-write the draft.

Then when the book goes on sale I'll take down all but the first few chapters and link to where the book can be bought. They are never more than the first third of the draft. Too much work to put up more, and MAY take away from sales.

As for putting up entire free books. They can take away from sales of the books. But at least as often people will go ahead and buy the book anyway. There are several reasons. One is that some books bear reading over and over again; it's handy have them already. For others it's because to them hard copies have several advantages over ebook copies.

There's another reason for putting up free books. They act as advertising for all the other books from a writer. Especially if the free book is the first of a series.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
There's another reason for putting up free books. They act as advertising for all the other books from a writer. Especially if the free book is the first of a series.

My bold.

I've seen this work really well in promoting a series; but it can work against you if that first book opens with too much scene-setting, for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.