• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Another brand name question (Scotch)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 42

Nope. Just make sure you write Scotch, and not Scottish, because if you write Scottish, we'll all point and laugh.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
You might also wish to research the prices of different brands, to reflect the standard of living of your character. (And perhaps to reflect how far he falls during the course of the story.)

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Any time you need a sippin' partner, Alleycat, I love Tennessee whiskey.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
If you're Scottish, it's whisky.

It's also normally 86 proof and delicious.

As long as its not the cheap stuff.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My wonderful step-grandfather, Jesse Duncan, was Scottish. He was a generous man who loved to tell frugal Scot jokes on himself.

I grew up thinking Scotch brand tape was a joke name for the cheap, see-through, mending tape.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
I had to research Scotch for my Fantasy gambling novel, as the protag's father fancies himself a bit of an expert. Unfortunately, the research was strictly online. I hate the stuff!

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
I had to research Scotch for my Fantasy gambling novel, as the protag's father fancies himself a bit of an expert. Unfortunately, the research was strictly online. I hate the stuff!
If you were forced to buy samples to help with the research, I'd be happy to take them off your hands. Or paws.

Deleted member 42

No, and it's spelled lower case, scotch.

No, no it's not.

A dictionary is your friend.

Single Malt Whisky produced in Scotland.

Scotch is whisky produced in Scotland; it is, therefore a proper noun, and as a proper noun, it deserves the dignity of upper case.

s.v. AHD, OED, CDEL

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If he's an alcoholic I doubt he cares how you spell it, and his preferred choice will alter as the cabinet gets emptier. :snoopy:

Happy New Ye.......:drool

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Spell it L.A.G.A.V.U.L.I.N. and I'll drink all of it you don't want to deal with.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Spell it L.A.G.A.V.U.L.I.N. and I'll drink all of it you don't want to deal with.

Yup. Also T.A.L.I.S.K.E.R or L.A.P.H.R.O.A.I.G.

Which actually brings up a thread-pertinent observation: I don't think an alcoholic would be likely to choose these expensive single-malt whiskies to feed the addiction. They are strongly-flavored beverages seldom quaffed in huge amounts, but rather sipped and lingered over. Then again, maybe you have a really wealthy connoisseur alcoholic for a character.

But whatever favorite liquor you choose will reflect on your character, to some extent. Most alcoholics I've encountered prefer to feed their habit with gin or vodka, usually of cheap varieties. If whiskey is a choice, it tends to be cheap bourbon, the overriding principle being quantity defeats quality.

caw

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
They are strongly-flavored beverages seldom quaffed in huge amounts, but rather sipped and lingered over.

Yes. Too much research into Scotch means I now cringe when people drink it neat on tv.

Jo Zebedee

space opera-popcorn lover!
Registered
Reaction score
Off the shoulder of Orion, not far from Belfast.
Website
Www.jozebedee.com
yep, Ulster preference is for Bushmills, or Black Bush, which is the swankier version. Irish preference is powers, plus some other varieties\\
Scottish is for scotch, and there are loads of breweries, so if they're from a particular area of Scotland, it might be worth doing a wee bit of research on the local types, as it's often a little parochial. EG in Aberdeen, Fettercairn (check the spelling, I might be wrong) is popular and local. If they're a afficiando they will probably have one or other type that they stick to.
And me, being a good Ulster girl, has a very soft spot for... Jack Daniels, straight. (And Bush in a hot toddy. :D)

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
One of my characters is an alcoholic. If I say his preferred drink is Scotch, can I get into trouble?

You can get into trouble if: said characters income level isn't one that would allow him to be an alcoholic with a preference toward scotch. A bottle of so-called 'passable' scotch starts at fifty some dollars (US) and gets more and more expensive* - and that's retail. Bar prices would be outrageous.

*example: Haggis's beloved Laphroaig 18 lists here at 69.99

Nothing like a Chevis and soda after a hard day at work.

*winces, and runs screaming from thread*

Status
Not open for further replies.