Morally Significant Choices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
The structure I've seen more often, especially in action/adventure fantasy, is that the choice comes *before* the climax. It's the choice that causes the final confrontation. The climax itself is discovering how that choice works out. Like, they finally choose to fight, and then the battle itself is the climax, but it comes after the choice.

Of course, there could be morally charged choices at the very end too. But I don't think this is necessary for a strong conclusion. I've seen too many attempts where it ended up sounding contrived. So, if it arises naturally, I would go with it. But I would never force some choice into the very end if it's not a natural out-growth of the events up to that point.

As for my own books, I currently have one of each type that I'm completing. The Nano characters choose to finally embrace the darkness right at the end, while the characters in my other book made the choice to start the revolution way back in chapter 16 and spend the last four chapters making it happen. They don't have a lot of control left by the end, really, because they've started something much bigger than themselves.

ClareGreen

Onwards, ever onwards
Registered
Reaction score
The protagonist should be making morally significant choices regularly. It's part of the job description. The difference at the climax would be the stakes - and even if people are starting something bigger than themselves in the early part of the book, they can still make the choice to do the right thing later.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
My protag makes what seems like a trivial choice in book #2, for which he gets whacked and whacked by his god until he realises what he's done wrong. Then he gets to go back and make the choice again.

Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
The protagonist should be making morally significant choices regularly. It's part of the job description. The difference at the climax would be the stakes - and even if people are starting something bigger than themselves in the early part of the book, they can still make the choice to do the right thing later.

I mostly agree with this, although I find a lot of SFF literature would disagree with the "regularly" part. XD

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
In one of my projects, the morally significant choice comes long before the climax. Maybe I'm doing it wrong.

In the other, a big choice does occur at the climax.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Not necessarily a morally significant choice, but a significant choice.

The structure I've seen more often, especially in action/adventure fantasy, is that the choice comes *before* the climax. It's the choice that causes the final confrontation. The climax itself is discovering how that choice works out. Like, they finally choose to fight, and then the battle itself is the climax, but it comes after the choice.

I suppose it's up for interpretation, but I'd say the choice itself is still the climax. The battle is just the payoff. The decision to fight would still be the apex of tension, but not necessarily action. The climax tends to come earlier than what most people assume.

Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
Not necessarily a morally significant choice, but a significant choice.

I suppose it's up for interpretation, but I'd say the choice itself is still the climax. The battle is just the payoff. The decision to fight would still be the apex of tension, but not necessarily action. The climax tends to come earlier than what most people assume.

The problem is you have both an internal and external climax. To me, the best stories resolve those two climaxes together or very close to each other. But a lot of sf/fantasy stories don't do that.

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Climaxing together is always great.
:Thumbs:

Morals = Subjective.

A character will kill ten people in cold blood because he believes they are the scourge of the earth and the world will be instantly better without them. That's his moral choice.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.