Changing My Avatar To My Own. (solved)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChristinaLayton

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Hi.

I need help because, while my avatar of Taz is freaking adorable, I would like to change my avatar to replace it with a photo of Adam Lambert.

The problem is that every time i try to upload an image for an avatar it tells me that the upload failed. Does the avatar need to be a certain size? Please help.

Sincerely
Chris.

Last edited:

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Adam Lambert sang on American Idol, runner up. Don't know about the photo copyright, though...

ChristinaLayton

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Who's Adam Lambert? And is the photo copyrighted?

Runner up of Season 8 of American Idol. His debut album went on to sell over 1 million copies worldwide. Nominated for a Grammy for his hit Whataya Want from Me in 2010. Kissed his bassist at the 2009 American Music Awards, giving us the first male on male kiss ever on live television. Had a mega-successful first world tour, Glam Nation Tour, and recently became the first openly gay man to have a #1 album on the Billboard hot 200 chart with his sophomore album "Trespassing". Has scored 10 #1 hits so far since 2009.

Adam Lambert sang on American Idol, runner up. Don't know about the photo copyright, though...

I didn't think that'd be an issue since I saw an AW member who had a photo of a famous actor as her avatar. I'll look into it. If all his pictures are copyrighted then I'll ask a fellow Glambert to draw me a picture so I can use it on here. :)

Thanks.
Chris.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I didn't think that'd be an issue since I saw an AW member who had a photo of a famous actor as her avatar. I'll look into it. If all his pictures are copyrighted then I'll ask a fellow Glambert to draw me a picture so I can use it on here. :)

The copyright may lie with the photographer or a third party, not the subject. Wikimedia Commons often has lots of photos you can use, released under the Creative Commons licence (which means you can reproduce them freely). I think you can also do searches on places like Flickr for Creative Commons-licenced pictures.

Last edited:

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure hundreds of people here at AW have avatars of celebrities, paintings, photographs, movie stills, and more to which they do not own the copyright. While finding one you can legally use is ideal, my impression as a long-time member who changes avatars twelve or fourteen times a year is that nothing at all happens when you use an image you don't own the rights to.

Of course, if the copyright holder asked you to remove it, you'd do so at once, but I don't know of that ever happening. Nor do I recall the site owner, present or past, getting into trouble over copyrighted imaged in avatars.

Hot-linking, on the other hand, has caused much grief for AW. Learn what it is and don't do it.

Maryn, whose present avatar is undoubtedly a copyright violation

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I never worry about it. While probably not technically correct, I think an image for personal, noncommercial use such as an avatar is very close to being fair use (I have no idea what a higher court would say if the issue was brought before it). It would be another thing if the forum itself was offering copyrighted images for members to use.

Deleted member 42

The copyright lies with the photographer, not the subjec

You can't possibly know that since the license depends on the terms of the agreement between the photographer and the subject; much photography is in fact work for hire.

If the owner of AbsoluteWrite or the Admin receives a notice of takedown we will comply, as we have in the past and remove the avatar in question.

ChristinaLayton

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I'm going to bookmark this page for future reference, this particular thread, and I'm going to look closely at the size of the images because it seems to be more an issue about the size rather than copyright itself. I'm sure that if there is an issue with my avatar because of copyright, a moderator or an administrator would ask me to remove it and I would do so without hesitation. :)

Thanks everyone for your help and I consider this matter resolved, so I'm going to edit the original post and mark it as such in the title.

You guys are so helpful.
Christina.

ChristinaLayton

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
OK, the matter is solved for now because I just changed my avatar to the one I wanted.

Thanks
C.

Status
Not open for further replies.