Crossfit anyone?

mackandblues

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone here do Crossfit and really like it? I'm doing some research for my next book. Thanks!

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I don't do CrossFit, but I do power lifting. What sort of information are you looking for?

Elhrrah

Summon Bigger Fish
Registered
Reaction score
Among the exercise physiology and biomechanics people I know, Crossfit has a horrible reputation. The problem with it, as it has been described to me, is the fact that it places a greater priority on the number of reps completed than the form maintained during those reps.

A prime example of this is the prevalence of kipping pullups in Crossfit programs, where participants are encouraged to kick their legs (to 'kip') so as to lessen the upper-body strain. The problem with this is that it actually places greater strain on one's joints, which isn't really a good thing.

I've also seen a fair number of Crossfit videos where people use improper form in benching (bouncing the bar), squatting (knees too far forward), deadlifting (rounded backs), and the like.

I hope that helps!

melindamusil

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Depends on your coach. A good coach won't allow the bad form. Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater. Crossfit rocks!

I read a review/editorial about crossfit awhile back that says their problem is not requiring enough training for the coaches. According to this writer, the coaches trained in Crossfit's early years predominantly already had additional fitness training and experience, so they tended to emphasize doing the movements with proper form. As Crossfit grew in popularity, though, the newer coaches didn't have that experience. Those coaches did not encourage correct form, thus causing injuries and giving Crossfit a bad name.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a parkour instructor who has had some contact with Crossfit gyms. One allows us to use their equipment and whatnot, and we've done demo's/crossovers with them. I've also assisted during another instructor's Crossfit/Parkour/Natural Movement seminar.

I have not enjoyed the mentality I see at Crossfit gyms. There's a lot of competition and dick swinging going on, and far too many of the guys think "jerk" and "snatch" jokes are funny enough to put on their T-shirts. I see a lot more arrogance there than in parkour groups, and bragging is encouraged in at least some groups - one gym that I've visited has a giant whiteboard where everyone is encouraged to brag about their latest accomplishments.

The participants do seem to be in good physical shape, for the most part. They bulk up well and their bulk is more functional than I've seen out of more typical weightlifters. I'm sure people's experiences will vary from gym to gym, and from participant to participant, though.

Sorry I can't be of more help or answer your original question more directly. If you ever want any info on parkour let me know. :)