Emanuel Church has a donate button on their website, if you'd like to help.

See also the Mother Emanuel Hope Fund

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Converting Home DVDs on Mac

Converting Home DVDs on Mac

OK, here's the problem:

I had my old VHS home movies (mostly of my kids when they were small) converted to DVD. I now want to convert these yet again so I can edit, create clips etc, on my MacBook, perhaps on iMovie.

I searched on the Apple SUpport Forums and it seemed that HandBrake would do the trick, so I downloaded and installed it, slipped one of the DVD's into the drive and followed the instructions. Unfortunately, what I got was the following
    error message:
    HandBrake could not find a compatible version of libdvdcss (32-bit libdvdcss is not compatible with 64-bit HandBrake and vice-versa).
    Followed by an option to download and install said software. When I tried doing that, I got another error message:
    “libdvdcss.2.dylib” can’t be opened because it is from an unidentified developer.
    and that MacOS would not allow the download.

What now? Has anyone here done this before? Do you know an easy way to do it, easy enough for a tech idiot who does not understand the jargon?

Thanks in advance!

The World's First Epic Fantasy -- written 3000 years ago!

Out Now:
    The Small Fortune of Dorothea Q

Website
    Facebook
    Amazon US
    Amazon UK

Do you know what you are? You are a manuscript of a divine letter. You are a mirror reflecting a noble face. This universe is not outside of you. Look inside yourself; everything that you want, you are already that ...
    ~ Rumi

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin ereadergold's Avatar
    Hi Aruna

Can't say I've had the need to do this myself but I did see this application that claims to be able to do it - http://www.leawo.com/dvd-ripper-mac/.

It's not a free program but it's pretty inexpensive and has a free trial so you could see if it is of use to you.

Hope it's of some help to you.

Bill

you didn't come and help me kuwisdelu's Avatar
    You might try to download the 32-bit version of Handbrake. It sounds like you got the 64-bit version.

Also, I think you need to have VLC installed to rip DVDs with Handbrake, if I remember correctly.

Try downloading VLC. Get the version that matches whichever bitness your copy of Handbrake is.

(Check Handbrake->About to see whether you have 32-bit or 64-bit Handbrake, and download the matching copy of VLC.)
    (a blog.) ...last updated 15 June 2015