Initial User Experiences on Windows 8.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
> Do you know if it would be installed when Avast updates itself?

Avast will update independently. Just uninstall Chrome if you don't want it.

> So yeah, I'm kind of not sure how Chrome wound up on my
> machine, especially as I didn't see any "Installing" dialog box,
> nor did I need to click on anything.

Some installers have a checkbox, some don't. I installed something from Roxio a few months back and ended up with Chrome as my default browser. No checkbox. And no question asked.

-cb

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
By the way, there's no real disadvantage to just keeping Chrome around.

It's good to have multiple browsers installed.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that Cliff it seems like Windows 8 is giving you nothing but woes. A dvd rom or burner is not that pricey though. You may be able to get a used one from an older computer if you know someone.

To be honest, there's only been a few problems. Disc drive being crap, space issues, live tiles, can't play DVDs (possibly related to the disc drive problem)...

If I had a better computer, I don't think I'd really have any of those problems. So it's more a money thing than a Win8 thing. (Although these issues are only coming out after having gone from XP to Win8.)

And yeah, I know someone who might have an old disc drive they're looking to sell. Or rather, he's the tech guy in mum's circle of friends, so all of them, when they want to upgrade, give him their old hardware to sell on for them (he takes a cut).

Going to check out prices before I ring him, and probably look into drivers, in case it's an easy fix.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
> Do you know if it would be installed when Avast updates itself?

Avast will update independently. Just uninstall Chrome if you don't want it.

> So yeah, I'm kind of not sure how Chrome wound up on my
> machine, especially as I didn't see any "Installing" dialog box,
> nor did I need to click on anything.

Some installers have a checkbox, some don't. I installed something from Roxio a few months back and ended up with Chrome as my default browser. No checkbox. And no question asked.

-cb

By the way, there's no real disadvantage to just keeping Chrome around.

It's good to have multiple browsers installed.

Eh, I uninstalled it yesterday anyway. I do just fine with Firefox. I was only really asking about it because I was trying to figure out how it actually got onto my computer. Which cb pretty much answered for me. Thanks. :)