Initial User Experiences on Windows 8.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, more fun with Win8...

So, I couldn't force myself to use my laptop to edit my novel in this heat. Turned the desktop on and got to work.

Towards the end of the chapter, I noticed that the clock was wrong within Win8. It didn't used to be, as far as I know.

So the problem was that it had changed itself to a different region (somewhere in South America, I think). Changed it back, and it's all fine.

Then when I was about to shut it off, I noticed that C drive has more free space now.

Previously, there was about 800 MB, and now there was 3.8 GB. WTF? I didn't change anything on the computer apart from the clock, and my novel file, on a different drive to C.

So I checked if anything had been deleted from C, and nope, it's all there still. Windows was working fine still (apart from the weird clock thing).

So I have no idea what's going on. If it's just freed up some space somehow without my knowing, that's fine. But could it be a virus?

Going to have to check for Defender. I turned the desktop off, because I've decided to only use the Internet on my laptop, as a means of actually getting me to work on my novel.

So yeah... That's weird, and thought I should mention it.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so the extra 3GB was still there when I went back on the desktop. However, something new happened. In the time it took to edit a chapter, on a completely different drive to C, without using the Internet, I lost about 10MB of space on C.

So now I'm thinking that maybe it has something to do with temporary files NOT of the Internet persuasion. Like, my computer was creating temp files so that things worked.

So my current theory is that, a week or so after installing Win8, the temporary files involved in installing the new OS and a bunch of other programs finally got cleared automatically by the computer.

Is that possible?

Either way, I seem to have enough space on C to not hate my computer anymore.

Tirjasdyn

Outline Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michellejnorton.com
Okay, so the extra 3GB was still there when I went back on the desktop. However, something new happened. In the time it took to edit a chapter, on a completely different drive to C, without using the Internet, I lost about 10MB of space on C.

So now I'm thinking that maybe it has something to do with temporary files NOT of the Internet persuasion. Like, my computer was creating temp files so that things worked.

So my current theory is that, a week or so after installing Win8, the temporary files involved in installing the new OS and a bunch of other programs finally got cleared automatically by the computer.

Is that possible?

Either way, I seem to have enough space on C to not hate my computer anymore.

It's possible. Non-internet temp files can fill up a pc. Some of them may be left over from install as well.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I know some people were still using DivX up until recently, but I thought RealPlayer went out in the 90s...

... still is around. Was just an update actually. The only problem with it is that it doesn't play all types of files. Kinda aggravating actually. So what I did a few months ago was to install another: BS Player. Very minimalistic. Not many controls, but it works well. Between the two I get along okay.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
It's possible. Non-internet temp files can fill up a pc. Some of them may be left over from install as well.

Oh, good, thanks. :)

I was hoping that was what had happened. Either way, free 3GB of space! Woo! :D

I'll still be using my laptop a lot more until I get my desktop running how I like it, though.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Okay... So 2 more things.

1. I got a message on Win8 saying that there was an update and it would restart my computer in 10 minutes. There was no option to say "Restart later." So I had to close the message, save my work, and restart. Is there a way to stop this from happening? I don't mind updates, but I'd like to be able to restart the computer when *I* feel like restarting it!

2. After the update installed itself and the computer restarted, I figured I'd go check how much space was on C drive, to see how much the update used. Curiously, I now have an extra 2.5GB on top of the extra from before! 2 days ago, I had 800MB, now I have 6.3GB free space on C. What?

I had checked the free space when I first turned the desktop on this morning, and it was at 3.8GB.

Does anyone know how temp files get automatically deleted? Like, my current guess is that they get deleted 1 week after being created, which might explain why I got more free space today, and that they get deleted on shutdown/startup, which would explain why it happened after the restart.

Final question is, how do I check what the Win8 updates have actually done? I'm assuming I *can* check, but I'm also assuming I probably wouldn't know what I'm looking at.

In any event, I now have plenty of free space on C. :)

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
The moral of the story is that users installing Win8 should be prepared for things to be a bit cluttered for about a week (if they don't have a lot of space) but it will resolve itself.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, that's cheap. :)

If you have more than 1 computer, I'd recommend trying Win8 on the one you use least first. Because if you wind up having to dick around with your main machine too much, it could get really frustrating.

Honestly, I don't think Win8 is all that different to Win7 (except uglier with a few annoying quirks that are easy enough to get used to or simply solve).

Then again, if you plan on using the Start page a lot, your user experience would vary from mine. I only use it to launch the desktop. *shrug*

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
... still is around. Was just an update actually. The only problem with it is that it doesn't play all types of files. Kinda aggravating actually. So what I did a few months ago was to install another: BS Player. Very minimalistic. Not many controls, but it works well. Between the two I get along okay.

I have the feeling you might be much happier with either VLC or MPlayer2. Or maybe Media Player Classic and a codec pack.

I can't think of any other combination that's even usable (by my standards).

(Do y'all even 10-bit high profile H.264?)

(What kind of backwater codecs are the non-anime community using these days?)

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I have the feeling you might be much happier with either VLC or MPlayer2. Or maybe Media Player Classic and a codec pack.

I can't think of any other combination that's even usable (by my standards).

(Do y'all even 10-bit high profile H.264?)

(What kind of backwater codecs are the non-anime community using these days?)

... thanks for the info.
I usually just use these players to watch movies I've downloaded.
Mainly, grainy b&w ones from the 1940's.
I'm familiar with that term 'codec.'
Whenever realplayer can't play a flick it says it doesn't have the codec.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I've just packed up my new laptop with Win 8 to send it back.

Win 8 won't work with Dragon NaturallySpeaking, and without that I can't work.

Win 8 might be great if you have a touchscreen computer but for an ordinary laptop I found it intrusive, unnecessarily complex, and often frustrating. I used the laptop for six weeks, to ensure that I was used to it and it wasn't just a resistance to change causing me to not like it; I've just got out my old laptop, which runs Win 7 Pro, and it's so much easier to use.

I'll not get another machine with Win 8 on it if I can possibly help it.

allmywires

Rock-licker
Registered
Reaction score
Good to know I'm not the only one having problems...

I got a Sony VAIO over Christmas which came pre-packaged with Win8. I very nearly sent it straight back when what I now assume to be a corrupted update stopped my internet browsers from working and I had to do a system refresh to factory settings (fortunately I hadn't loaded any of my files on yet). Metro screen - awful and I never use it. The sidebar irritates me because I predominately use the right-hand side of the touchpad, being right handed, so I often unintentionally swipe it and have to click to exit. The lack of a start bar is tedious but I've got used to using the 'computer' shortcut on the taskbar.

I also hate how everything is in apps now, and you have to jump through hoops to use things as normal: ie had to install Skype for the desktop rather than the Win8 app, which doesn't work since it won't allow me to use it until I've updated it, and then won't let me update it!! Setting the defaults for viewing Adobe documents, pictures, and Office files also annoyed me, but now it's sorted it's bearable.

I also still can't figure out how to get apps to stop running without bringing up the black sidebar screen by hovering over the Metro button in the bottom left corner. Argh!

1. I got a message on Win8 saying that there was an update and it would restart my computer in 10 minutes. There was no option to say "Restart later." So I had to close the message, save my work, and restart. Is there a way to stop this from happening? I don't mind updates, but I'd like to be able to restart the computer when *I* feel like restarting it!

Mine seems to update when I turn my laptop on and log in -- I'll type my password in and it just comes up as 'Restarting' which is...annoying. But at least that seems to be the only time it does it. Manually 'install updates and restart' caused all my internet problems so I won't be doing that again. ><

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I also hate how everything is in apps now, and you have to jump through hoops to use things as normal: ie had to install Skype for the desktop rather than the Win8 app, which doesn't work since it won't allow me to use it until I've updated it, and then won't let me update it!!

What is the problem with using the app? It seems like half the problem seems to be trying to force the OS to work like Windows 7, which it is not.

allmywires said:
I also still can't figure out how to get apps to stop running without bringing up the black sidebar screen by hovering over the Metro button in the bottom left corner. Argh!

So don't close them. That's the way Windows 8 works. If you're desperate, use Alt-F4. That's been the shortcut to closing programs since XP and still works in W8.

I'm not an Windows 8 apologist. I get that Windows 8 has been forced on those buying new PCs rather than a conscious choice. But Windows 8 is a lot less annoying when you work with it in the way it's designed.

I am sympathetic to Old Hack's experience. It sucks when the OS bars you from working in the way you have to - it's hardly a case of adapting when things like RSI get in the way. I would point at least half my criticism at Dragon, though - it's not like Windows 8 has come out of nowhere. They've failed their paying customers by not making it work on W8.

allmywires

Rock-licker
Registered
Reaction score
What is the problem with using the app? It seems like half the problem seems to be trying to force the OS to work like Windows 7, which it is not.

Exactly what I said. I open it, it tells me to update, and when I try and update it says 'Update failed' every time. So it's easier to use the desktop program.

So don't close them. That's the way Windows 8 works. If you're desperate, use Alt-F4. That's been the shortcut to closing programs since XP and still works in W8.

Why would I want ten million apps running at once when I could close them? Waste of memory. But thanks, alt-F4 seems to work.

I didn't like Win8 when I first got it but I am getting used to it. It's painfully obvious that it was designed for tablets in mind, though, considering the instructions booklet I got to explain Win8 for me was just in tablet form. I don't hate it, but find some of the decisions the Microsoft tech team have made a bit baffling. (ie removal of the Start button).

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
The sidebar irritates me because I predominately use the right-hand side of the touchpad, being right handed, so I often unintentionally swipe it and have to click to exit. The lack of a start bar is tedious but I've got used to using the 'computer' shortcut on the taskbar.

Yep, those things drove me up the wall.

I also hate how everything is in apps now, and you have to jump through hoops to use things as normal: ie had to install Skype for the desktop rather than the Win8 app, which doesn't work since it won't allow me to use it until I've updated it, and then won't let me update it!!

I had several issues like that, too.

I found it far more complicated to use than Windows 7: everything took longer to get done. It wasn't just a case of my not knowing my way around the software as I used it for six weeks or more: it just is messier, and more long-winded to use.

I think if you grab them at the top of the screen and drag them down to the bottom they close. But it's irritating not being able to adjust the volume, for example, or to see if your internet connection has dropped without getting that bloody charms bar to appear because of the lack of the taskbar. I found the charms bar (icky name) opened all the time when I didn't want it, but it was difficult to make it appear when I did. Infuriating.

Mine seems to update when I turn my laptop on and log in -- I'll type my password in and it just comes up as 'Restarting' which is...annoying. But at least that seems to be the only time it does it. Manually 'install updates and restart' caused all my internet problems so I won't be doing that again. ><

Oh, gosh, yes! All that restarting! I didn't like that either. It seemed to want to restart every other hour.

That wasn't the problem at all.

If the apps had made it easier, simpler, quicker or more enjoyable to use my new laptop I'd have been thrilled. But they didn't: the apps made using the computer much more difficult, and it all took longer too.

I'm not an Windows 8 apologist. I get that Windows 8 has been forced on those buying new PCs rather than a conscious choice. But Windows 8 is a lot less annoying when you work with it in the way it's designed.

I disagree. The hot corners and charms menu are distracting and irritating, and the lack of a taskbar makes doing all sorts of things far more convoluted and more difficult than plain old Windows 7.

I am sympathetic to Old Hack's experience. It sucks when the OS bars you from working in the way you have to - it's hardly a case of adapting when things like RSI get in the way. I would point at least half my criticism at Dragon, though - it's not like Windows 8 has come out of nowhere. They've failed their paying customers by not making it work on W8.

It will work on the "desktop" screen; it won't work with the apps, or from that appy start screen. So if you land there accidentally you have to use the touchpad to get back to the desktop screen. And bear in mind that my laptop changed frequently between the two even when I didn't want it to, if I happened to brush the cursor near the top left corner.

In my view the problem wasn't with Nuance and their failure to make their product work with Windows 8: it lies with Windows 8, and its habit of swapping between desktop and app almost at random. If that were stabilised then I wouldn't have had a problem using Dragon with it.

Tirjasdyn

Outline Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michellejnorton.com
I've just packed up my new laptop with Win 8 to send it back.

Win 8 won't work with Dragon NaturallySpeaking, and without that I can't work.

Win 8 might be great if you have a touchscreen computer but for an ordinary laptop I found it intrusive, unnecessarily complex, and often frustrating. I used the laptop for six weeks, to ensure that I was used to it and it wasn't just a resistance to change causing me to not like it; I've just got out my old laptop, which runs Win 7 Pro, and it's so much easier to use.

I'll not get another machine with Win 8 on it if I can possibly help it.

Do you have an older version of Dragon? Nuance claims that 12 works with Win 8.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
It will work on the "desktop" screen; it won't work with the apps, or from that appy start screen [...]
In my view the problem wasn't with Nuance and their failure to make their product work with Windows 8: it lies with Windows 8, and its habit of swapping between desktop and app almost at random. If that were stabilised then I wouldn't have had a problem using Dragon with it.

I tend to think that Nuance should have made Dragon work from the start screen! The desktop in W8 is really only for file management - the whole design is built around working from the start screen.

I completely agree with it being rather schizoid in its approach to having "two" interfaces. That's a major failing, but then can you imagine the reaction if they got rid of the desktop altogether?

Anyway, can't type long - Windows wants to restart, and I can't postpone it... :D

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Dragon 12 works fine within the Desktop part of Win 8, but as soon as my laptop switched to the Apps side Dragon wouldn't work. It's a known issue which Nuance was hoping to resolve, and might have been resolved by now: but I found Win 8 so intrusive and clumsy that I've not checked into that, as I've got rid of the laptop and Win 8, and have gone back to my old machine.

Katie Elle

Banned
Reaction score
I'm with Old Hack (don't anyone faint). Saying you can "go along to get along" with Windows 8 kind of misses the point that the previous Windows 7 is actually better. Win 8 is a step backwards in usability by at least 15 years.

I don't think I've had an OS actively get in my way of doing something since I got stuck on a Windows 3.1 after using Macs for years. I had an immediate feeling of "Wow, this is far more difficult than it was on the OS I was using before." Moving from Windows 7 to 8 gave me the same kind of jarring feeling I was worse off than I had been.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Well, a step back for keyboard+mouse usability. It is by far the most usable touch-screen UI Windows has ever had...