Culture Research

A.Fox

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
I wish to try and aquire either a site about other cultures or some cultural encyclopedias to help me research other cultures for writing purposes...anyone here got some recommendations?

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
That idea of a "cultural encyclopedia" is interesting. There probably would be a market for it.

benluby

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
This is a lot like saying I have food. What is the best way to prepare it?
We need a lot more information to provide any assistance.

L.C. Blackwell

Keeper of Fort Blanket
Registered
Reaction score
Alex, I know you don't want special treatment, just be aware that the Aspergers is going to cause you some problems communicating in here, and you'll have to be patient with yourself and us.

Culture is such a big subject that it's not usually covered by one book or set of books. The closest thing I can think of would be at your local library in the children's or young readers' area--there are often series written for youngsters that discuss countries or cultures in a basic way. For example, when I wanted to read about Finland, I found a series of books that included Finland, Sweden, Norway, etc.

That's only the beginning however, and how much research you'll do depends on how deeply you want to study into a specific culture.

Best wishes, and I hope you find what you're looking for. :)

A.Fox

Registered
Reaction score
Alright then, currently I'm intending to learn more about Afghanistan...largely so that (partially for fanfiction reasons and plans I have for the future) I can expand on the characterization of the X-Men character Dust (one of my favorite characters in the series too) so if anyone here would happen to know of a website or book I can use to research this I'd appreciate it.

A.Fox

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks...now,do you know any books that could help me?

L.C. Blackwell

Keeper of Fort Blanket
Registered
Reaction score
Not right in my mind. That's why I'm suggesting a trip to your local library if you can do that. Librarians know the books they have and are great at making suggestions.

:)

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.culturegrams.com/

These are four page snippets that give a good very basic knowledge of many cultures. My edition is from 1995. I bought it when I was teaching English as a Second Language. You never knew where your next student might be from and you had no time to research every country extensively. Sometimes you had less than a day's notice of a new arrival. I hope they help.