Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Culture Research

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Post Culture Research

I wish to try and aquire either a site about other cultures or some cultural encyclopedias to help me research other cultures for writing purposes...anyone here got some recommendations?

we are the words 'i love you' kuwisdelu's Avatar
    Which cultures? There's no such thing as a "cultural encyclopedia."
    (a blog.) ...last updated 15 June 2015

practical experience, FTW
    Quote Originally Posted by kuwisdelu View Post
    Which cultures? There's no such thing as a "cultural encyclopedia."

This...and what do you mean by 'acquire'? Do you wish to take it over, or just get info from it?

God of the Oceans
    That idea of a "cultural encyclopedia" is interesting. There probably would be a market for it.

You'll need to be a lot more specific to get an answer here.
    Cath
    www.cathsmith.net - my photos
    www.cathsmith.com - my website

"Many and various, strange and multitudinous are the friends that befriend me in this world, yet I never found one false or that did not surpass me in some virtue."
    Wilfred Owen in a letter home.

practical experience, FTW benluby's Avatar
    This is a lot like saying I have food. What is the best way to prepare it?
    We need a lot more information to provide any assistance.

practical experience, FTW
    The dearth of specificity in your question suggests that you might want to start here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_anthropology

That may help to point you in your intended direction... Best of luck!

Keeper of Fort Blanket L.C. Blackwell's Avatar
    Alex, I know you don't want special treatment, just be aware that the Aspergers is going to cause you some problems communicating in here, and you'll have to be patient with yourself and us.

Culture is such a big subject that it's not usually covered by one book or set of books. The closest thing I can think of would be at your local library in the children's or young readers' area--there are often series written for youngsters that discuss countries or cultures in a basic way. For example, when I wanted to read about Finland, I found a series of books that included Finland, Sweden, Norway, etc.

That's only the beginning however, and how much research you'll do depends on how deeply you want to study into a specific culture.

Best wishes, and I hope you find what you're looking for.
    I am sometimes here. You can also find me at: First They Came for the Communists, a human rights blog.

"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can't think what anybody sees in them.

-JRR Tolkien
    The Hobbit

Alright then, currently I'm intending to learn more about Afghanistan...largely so that (partially for fanfiction reasons and plans I have for the future) I can expand on the characterization of the X-Men character Dust (one of my favorite characters in the series too) so if anyone here would happen to know of a website or book I can use to research this I'd appreciate it.

For a website, you can start with the CIA's World Factbook here:

https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...k/geos/af.html

I am sometimes here. You can also find me at: First They Came for the Communists, a human rights blog.

"We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can't think what anybody sees in them.

-JRR Tolkien
    The Hobbit

Thanks...now,do you know any books that could help me?

Not right in my mind. That's why I'm suggesting a trip to your local library if you can do that. Librarians know the books they have and are great at making suggestions.

-JRR Tolkien
    The Hobbit

Mentoring Myself and Others Debbie V's Avatar
    http://www.culturegrams.com/

These are four page snippets that give a good very basic knowledge of many cultures. My edition is from 1995. I bought it when I was teaching English as a Second Language. You never knew where your next student might be from and you had no time to research every country extensively. Sometimes you had less than a day's notice of a new arrival. I hope they help.