Status
Not open for further replies.

asmira

Mid-Leap
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamiebreedlove.com
Do any other short fiction writers find titles nearly impossible? I can never figure out how to come up with something that it catchy without giving away too much of what is to come.

What tricks do you guys use, or what advice do you have about naming your works?

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I always, no matter what I'm writing, start with a title I like. The title itself generate steh story.

I come up with titles much teh same way Ray Bradbury did. In fact, I stole his method, and di just a bit of adapting. I make a list of nouns verbs, and lately, colors, Then I mix and match until something sounds good.

It's always title first, story second.

MJNL

A Little Lost
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lostetter.wordpress.com
Who is Ray Bradbury? Guess you're not a sci-fi fan.

I often don't tile until the end. And I try to title along thematic lines, if I can, and sometimes look for double meanings. Other times, if there's some unique noun in the story, I just use that unique noun.

Personally, Philip K. Dick's titles are my favorite. They say so much, yet give away little, and are always intriguing.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's not any one way I've come up with titles. I've gotten some story ideas from a title generator (http://www.mcoorlim.com/random.html) we were using for a game here on AW, and sometimes the title comes first on its own. Other times it comes from the story, and I am curious about the method James described.

For a while, I was really fond of two-word titles, and half the time one of the words was an article. The title was very plain and described the overall story (The Governor, The Rescue, etc.). Lately I've been more creative, but there's not any particular method I use.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... the good news is that there's really no pressure. View titles for short stories you've read. Are they really anything spectacular? Not really. A few capture your attention and are concise summaries of the story as a whole. (Not to say they even have to be, to begin with.) Most titles are just titles. "Here's my story. Gotta name it something. This title is as good as any. Take it or leave it..." So don't be so hard on yourself. If you come up with a good title, fine. If you don't, don't sweat it. It'll due. Your story is what's gonna get you an acceptance.

asmira

Mid-Leap
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamiebreedlove.com
Who is Ray Bradbury? Guess you're not a sci-fi fan.

*lol* No, I meant my character beat. Who is the character, and what or why are the questions I ask myself as the seed for my works of fiction. I'm actually quite the sci-fi fan.. although, I would think that particular name would be pretty recognizable even outside of the genre. He did quite well for himself, for sure!

asmira

Mid-Leap
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamiebreedlove.com
... the good news is that there's really no pressure. View titles for short stories you've read. Are they really anything spectacular? Not really. A few capture your attention and are concise summaries of the story as a whole. (Not to say they even have to be, to begin with.) Most titles are just titles. "Here's my story. Gotta name it something. This title is as good as any. Take it or leave it..." So don't be so hard on yourself. If you come up with a good title, fine. If you don't, don't sweat it. It'll due. Your story is what's gonna get you an acceptance.

Yeah, but it almost seems like with a short story the title is even more important. Obviously, you are right.. the majority out there are not precisely awe inspiring! I'm a worrier and perfectionist to be sure.

magicmint

Registered
Reaction score
I create titles by taking a specific image from the story itself. Usually works.

I actually think titles to short stories is very important. When reading magazines, I read the stories that interesting titles first.

lolabelle

Registered
Reaction score
As a previous poster said, I wait to title until the very end. Usually, I find a line or an object or a term that was important/pivotal to the story and I use that as a title.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
If I don't have a title by the time I finish writing, I go through the story and highlight interesting words and phrases. Sometimes the title will be a direct phrase. Sometimes a combination of some of the interesting words.

I do think it's worth some thought, as an interesting title can help you stand out on a table of contents. But no one's going to come up with awesome and unique titles all the time.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I come up with titles much teh same way Ray Bradbury did. In fact, I stole his method, and di just a bit of adapting. I make a list of nouns verbs, and lately, colors, Then I mix and match until something sounds good.

Bradbury was good with titles, and yet, some of his finest stories have very simple titles:

"The Lake"
"The Dwarf"
"The Vacation:
"The Jar"
"The Women"
"The Crowd"
"The City"
"The Night"
"The Emissary"
"The Cistern"
"The Scythe"
"The Traveler"
"The Aqueduct"
"Embroidery"
"Homecoming"
"Uncle Einar"

etc.

You can overthink titles, trying too hard for clever, much like you can overthink other things in writing. One of my rules of thumb is, When I have to strain to come up with something, chances are what I'll come up with won't be very good. At which point I try to simplify.

Sometimes titles come to me, and sometimes those generate a whole story, as JAR has said. Sometimes not. I've also been known to change titles after a story is finished.

caw

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Yeah, but it almost seems like with a short story the title is even more important.

... you may be right about that. And another thing is that with novels an author's choice of title may wind up being changed by editors, as I've read here on AW. That probably doesn't happen much with short stories. So in that sense they may be more important, too, as there's more permanence to them.

Jon M

I against I
Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes a good metaphor or simile works as a title. The Heart is a Lonely Hunter, or The Heart is a Thousand Empty Rooms, or Hills Like White Elephants.

asmira

Mid-Leap
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamiebreedlove.com
If I don't have a title by the time I finish writing, I go through the story and highlight interesting words and phrases. Sometimes the title will be a direct phrase. Sometimes a combination of some of the interesting words.

I do think it's worth some thought, as an interesting title can help you stand out on a table of contents. But no one's going to come up with awesome and unique titles all the time.

This sounds like fantastic advice. Thank you. As to the second paragraph, that's basically my thought process as well. My worry that someone would come across the piece, and say "meh" without giving it a shot.

Thank you to all who have posted for your time! You've given me some new ways to think about it.

Last edited:

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
My titles always come first and often long before I have an inkling what the story will be about. But if you're having a problem, try reading some classic poetry that has the same theme or 'atmosphere' as your story. Something should hit you - a phrase, a few words, whatever. Some great stories and novels have been titled this way.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
My titles always come first and often long before I have an inkling what the story will be about. But if you're having a problem, try reading some classic poetry that has the same theme or 'atmosphere' as your story. Something should hit you - a phrase, a few words, whatever. Some great stories and novels have been titled this way.

Ever been doing something not writing related, and have a title jump into your head and kick you in the cerebral cortex? When the kick comes, the whole story comes with it, and all you have to do is go write it down? Fast, before it goes away?

I've sold stories that came this way. What I really want is a way to make it happen when I need it, rather than the once every year or so it usually takes for a new kick to come.

astonwest

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
More often than not, I come up with titles while I'm writing out a quick plot. I normally start with a few words that seem relevant, then use those as the starting point for brainstorming titles. If something else pops up that I like, I divert down that path for a while, and repeat the process until the point I say "that's the one."

TomW22

Registered
Reaction score
I tend to find the most important thing is that the title reflects the mood or theme of the story. It's pretty impossible to give away plot details in a normal-length title unless you call it 'How I Came to Marry Him' or something like that. For my (sci-fi) titles I tend to go with things that reflect the setting or theme. I'll use the names of locations or allusions to the history behind the story or an event that's set up early on. Equally sometimes I'll go with a title that communicates a character's feelings, like 'Abandonment' is probably the most simple title for any of the stories I'm currently working on. 'Pegasus Sunrise' falls at the other end of the scale - that takes its name from the star that's a major part of the plot.

jack lee

Registered
Reaction score
some good titles can attract huge views and without much content in it. I saw one guy on youtube did this. the guy titled it as someone naked, but inside all his talking. maybe the best is to come up with a title related to what you really talking about and try to make it exciting.

JimHeskett

Writers gon write.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jimheskett.com
A title should be intriguing... create a little bit of mystery and stand out. Ray Bradbury can title a story "The Lake" because everyone knows who Ray Bradbury is. Think of it like your first line... grab someone's attention and stand out.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
A title should be intriguing... create a little bit of mystery and stand out. Ray Bradbury can title a story "The Lake" because everyone knows who Ray Bradbury is. Think of it like your first line... grab someone's attention and stand out.

Ray Bradbury used similar titles before anyone except his mother knew who he was. His very first sale had the title "Homecoming", a plain title that's been attached to quite a few short stories.

I like a good, intriguing title, but I think simple titles sell very well, and sometimes better than fancier titles.

I sold the first short story I wrote to a national magazine. It paid $450, and that was a long time ago. That $450 was equivalent to about fifteen hundred bucks today. The title was "The Ordeal". Simple, and it had been used before. It's also been used since.

My first thousand dollar sale was for a short story called "The Parachute". That story also sold to Cricket for another $350, and has sold to four other magazines since. Almost all my short stories have simple, Ray Bradbury like titles, and I can't say anyone has ever complained.

I think the most complicated title I've ever used on a story that sold was one to Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine. It was called "A few Miles South of Nowhere".

Other than this, pretty much every story I've sold has had a simple one or two word title, though I suppose even simply titles can be intriguing. One of my most popular stories was called "Wild Strawberries", which also sold to Ellery Queen. I cinsidere dit a plain, simple title, but I've had quite a few readers tell me they loved the title because it worked well with the story, but gave nothing away.

MissyLaRae

Total Newbie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I think of it like a blog post.

Take the first chapter. Think of what your meta data would be. Now think of what your key words would be if you were going to be doing SEO work for this piece. Then think of your top 5 key words. Can you spin one or two of those key words into an exciting title?

I think it would be helpful if you thought of it like that. But that's just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.