Just watched "Dreams with Sharp Teeth" and am looking for recommendations

GabrielNovo

Cuban Nomad
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gabrielnovo.com
I hate to admit this, but I was previously unaware of the scope of Harlan Ellison's writing. I knew him more as a cantankerous personality. After watching his documentary "Dreams with Sharp Teeth", I became fascinated by the man.

Since I'm new to his work, what would be a good book to start with? There are so many compilations of his stories that I'm not sure what's considered his top stuff or starting material for the new reader.

Thanks in advance for your help.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
I actually think his short stories are the best place to start. See if you can find an anthology of them in your local library. I don't usually go for short stories over novels, but wow, some of his are just riveting.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Find something that has "I Have No Voice and I Must Scream" and don't worry about it. He doesn't write very much that's bad. :)

Blarg

Banned
Reaction score
I'm also a big fan of "Like the Whimper of Whipped Dogs." He's done so many things, including good TV work in the old series like The Outer Limits and The New Twilight Zone and Star Trek. Great to get those episodes on hard disc and listen to commentaries, if possible.

I lost a wonderful book in a move that I sure wish I still had, because people are charging a lot for it these days. No idea why it went out of print, because it was pretty much perfect for what it did: The Essential Ellison. A big fat book full of stories from all phases of his career. Huge book, really. If you ever see it going for cheap, snap it up. Ridiculous that it was only available for a few years and then vanished from the marketplace.

GabrielNovo

Cuban Nomad
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gabrielnovo.com
I ended up clearing out a used bookstore of all their Ellison. And one out of print Lustbader.

12821952905_234f9b8cd5.jpg

CheG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chegilson.blogspot.com
See if you can find "Angry Candy" as I recall several of the shorts in there were made into Twilight Zone episodes. The 1980's Twilight Zone... Anyway I just remember being moved to tears by several stories.