• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Sandrilyn Publications / Red-Line Editing Services

bloemmarc

Fantasy writer
Registered
Reaction score
I submitted to this publishing company, and am wondering about them a little. Their business practices and everything seem legit. When I go to their website though, all I find their submission requirements, and other information. I have not been able to locate any paticular authors they have published. I have not heard anything bad against them though. Does anybodyelse know anything about them?

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
They make paid editing referrals. There's at least some evidence to suggest (to me, at any rate) that the person who's running the editing service is somehow related to, or may even be the same as, the publisher.

Even if there were no concerns about editing, fees, etc., Sandrilyn does not appear to have actually published any books. It's a risk to hook up with a small publisher before it has published any books. It's much better to wait a while, and see if the publisher is capable of taking books all the way through the production process (which also allows you to assess things like quality and whether or not the publisher is doing anything to market its books).

- Victoria

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
bloemmarc said:
I submitted to this publishing company, and am wondering about them a little. Their business practices and everything seem legit. When I go to their website though, all I find their submission requirements, and other information. I have not been able to locate any paticular authors they have published. I have not heard anything bad against them though. Does anybodyelse know anything about them?
Friend, for the love of Pete, start researching before you submit. It'll save you so much trouble.

bloemmarc

Fantasy writer
Registered
Reaction score
Aconite said:
Friend, for the love of Pete, start researching before you submit. It'll save you so much trouble.

I have searched on them, thoroughly, but was not able to find ANYTHING about them other than their submission requirements. I thought I'd come here and ask, since their are alot of knowledgeable folk here. Believe me, i am doing my own research.

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
bloemmarc said:
I have searched on them, thoroughly, but was not able to find ANYTHING about them other than their submission requirements. I thought I'd come here and ask, since their are alot of knowledgeable folk here. Believe me, i am doing my own research.
Yeah, but you've already submitted to them before asking about them. Next time, try it the other way around. It saves postage, if nothing else. You want to look at the search in terms of their being proven good enough to submit to, not proven bad enough to cross off your list.

bloemmarc

Fantasy writer
Registered
Reaction score
Aconite said:
Yeah, but you've already submitted to them before asking about them. Next time, try it the other way around. It saves postage, if nothing else. You want to look at the search in terms of their being proven good enough to submit to, not proven bad enough to cross off your list.
Yes, true. I guess I have just been kind of confused by them as to their lack of information, but did not see anything bad about them at all, just that they appear to be new. But, you're right. I really am trying to do exactly what you just said, and thank you.

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
bloemmarc said:
I really am trying to do exactly what you just said, and thank you.
You're welcome, and good luck. Remember: They have to be good enough to deserve your submission, not bad enough to be crossed off your list. And remember to keep writing while you're searching!

Best wishes.

bloemmarc

Fantasy writer
Registered
Reaction score
Aconite said:
You're welcome, and good luck. Remember: They have to be good enough to deserve your submission, not bad enough to be crossed off your list. And remember to keep writing while you're searching!

Best wishes.
Thank you, and I think I have a good story going. I am just waiting for somebody to give me a chance to prove it.

bloemmarc

Fantasy writer
Registered
Reaction score
victoriastrauss said:
They make paid editing referrals. There's at least some evidence to suggest (to me, at any rate) that the person who's running the editing service is somehow related to, or may even be the same as, the publisher.

Even if there were no concerns about editing, fees, etc., Sandrilyn does not appear to have actually published any books. It's a risk to hook up with a small publisher before it has published any books. It's much better to wait a while, and see if the publisher is capable of taking books all the way through the production process (which also allows you to assess things like quality and whether or not the publisher is doing anything to market its books).

- Victoria

Also, thank you Victoria for your advice.

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
bloemmarc said:
To publish is to make things known to the public. If someone says they're a publisher, but you can't find any public information from them or about them, you have reason to feel wary.

With a few caveats and modifications, this works for agents, too. An agent is an author's representative. Their relationship is necessarily public. If someone claims to have a lot of clients, and be agenting them successfully, but you can't find any mentions of stuff going on, there's nothing going on.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.sandrilynpublications.com/

We have arranged with a professional editing firm to give our authors a discount on their editing, yet the author, of course, may use any editing firm he or she feels comfortable with for their editing needs. We highly suggest having your manuscript edited PRIOR to your first submittal, and if you’d like a referral from us, please contact us at [email protected].
As a rule, if a "publisher" makes no mention of their authors and/or books, they are NOT a company to do business with.

bloemmarc

Fantasy writer
Registered
Reaction score
Sandrylin publications

I posted a question about this publisher a while back, and got told to do my own research about them, which I have done, but still have found absolutely nothing about them but their submission page.
There has been nothing bad printed about them either. Of all the publishers I have looked at good and bad, this is by far the most mysterious of them all.

Popeyesays

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I had their submission page as well. But never got any response to e-mails.

I suspect they never really took off and the page is just out there orphaned.

Regards,
Scott

bloemmarc

Fantasy writer
Registered
Reaction score
Well after 7 months, they responded to my submission. They said they liked it alot, but it was far to short for where their interests were.
In those 7 months though, I had increased my word length by 50,000 words, and is now quite within range of their expectations.
They responded back clearly delighted, and said they would indeed take a second look at my manuscript. They just had a few editing concerns, like my story is to wordy, written in first person and not third, and just few style and puncuation concerns.
They also did mention that if a contract was offered, a full copyright edit would be done by their editors.
They also suggested that I go back and fix a few things myself before they do another full review of my work.

bloemmarc

Fantasy writer
Registered
Reaction score
It seems to me that they operate as a legit company. It just seems that literally no information is out there about them. I submitted to them because Predators and Editors had no negative comments about them.
I also know that Victoria told me that they did indeed have a paid editorial staff, which was the only information I found.

bloemmarc

Fantasy writer
Registered
Reaction score
the owners name is Linda Sandrylin. This lady's name is Saulander Evans who says she's the editor of write side up. So which book are you talking about that Linda Sandrylin wrote?
They could have other books out there, just not listen on their homepage, or they could choose not to have a regular internet site as well, just one explaining their outlines.

veinglory said:
I see that the person who seems to run the company is the author of the only book they have available for pre-order. How legit is that? It depends what you mean by legit.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
If they have other books out there they aren't at amazon B&N or anywhere googleable. Tricky to sell books that way. My intuition is that these two ladies are in fact the same lady--no way to prove that I admit.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
p.s. your failure at googling the name is probably because you keep transposing the y and i -- Sandrilyn

Last edited:

bloemmarc

Fantasy writer
Registered
Reaction score
Oops, my mistake.

I see, that is why I am here to do some research.

How could she be editor n chief of write side up then to? What kind of publisher are they?
I don't find any other books under their name either.
Victoria did tell me though that she knew they had a paid editorial staff.

veinglory said:
p.s. you failure at google is probably because you keep transposing the y and i -- Sandrilyn

Last edited:

bloemmarc

Fantasy writer
Registered
Reaction score
Does the name C.W. Smith ring a bell? That name sound familiar from someplace?

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
bloemmarc said:
Victoria did tell me though that she knew they had a paid editorial staff.
No, what I said was that they refer people to a paid editing service, and that there's some evidence to suggest that the publisher and editor are the same person.

Real publishers provide their own editing, free of charge. If something is submitted to them that's not ready for publication, they simply reject it; they don't point the writer in the direction of a paid editing service. When a publisher refers most or all submitters to the same editing service, the odds are high that there's a financial relationship--for instance, a kickback arrangement. Or else the publisher may own the editor.

Even if Sandrilyn didn't make editorial referrals, the amateurish website, lack of relevant information about staff and their credentials, and lack of any sign of actual published books should prompt considerable caution.

One thing that's not in doubt is that neither the editor nor the publisher can spell prophecy. Not a strong endorsement for either one, IMO.

- Victoria