My first round of querying :)

merlot143

Registered
Reaction score
I was so pleased I was asked for full manuscripts on my first round of querying. I rarely celebrate myself like this, but I thought I'd post it here as an end of year event. (Unfortunately I saw the thread about Laura's four offers of rep, which kind of minimized my own woo-hoo, but ah well...)
So I submitted to about 10 agents in Canada, some of whom I had met before. I got 3 requests for fulls. Then I started submitting to American agents before Christmas and got another request. I haven't heard back from many of these agents, so I don't know if they passed or haven't looked at it yet.
But it has felt good to see that people are taking notice of my stuff. I know it's still a leap before getting an agent, but I will enjoy this feeling :)

haunted

Now is the winter of my discontent.
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations!

merlot143

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm more relieved than anything else. I'm hoping to hear back from others, and hopefully will get an offer of rep at some point.

Purple Rose

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alxblog.net
You're off to a bright start. Let us know when you get an offer :)

merlot143

Registered
Reaction score
I was actually kinda surprised when people asked for the ms. But it seems like that's a relatively common occurrence based on the AW forums. Any pitfalls next?

ARoyce

Hopeful romantic/hopeless pedant
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amararoyce.com
Congrats!!

I wouldn't say it's common for AWers to get requests...there are lots of "Rejection and Dejection" threads that would say otherwise. But it sounds like you have an appealing query, which is a great advantage in this process.

Pitfalls? I suppose watch out for exclusive requests, which you wouldn't be able to grant at the moment anyway. It's not a problem, per se, but if you were to accept an exclusive request, you'd want to place a time limit on it so that the material wouldnt be tied up with that one agent indefinitely.

And I'm guessing you've already researched the agents you're querying. If you haven't, check out the Bewares section here and sites like Preditors & Editors to make sure they're reputable agents.

And I guess my last bit of advice is to be cautiously optimistic. On one hand, even a bunch of full requests can end up with rejections. But on the other hand, it's GREAT that you're getting requests. So enjoy the good but don't count your chickens...

TorontoGirl

Write on, write on...
Registered
Reaction score
You should enjoy the feeling. I know you must have worked your butt off for it. The offers are coming, just you wait and see :)

merlot143

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words. Yes, I put a lot of prep work into this -- I tried to be as ready as possible when the book was done.

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations! :)

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
smiley-bounce017.gif