Ever have a "crush" on a fictional character?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I got impatient and skipped to the end :D, but yeah, I've had crushes, a few of which have been mentioned already, I see. Harry Dresden, the Doctor, Sherlock Holmes as played by Benedict Cumberbatch (and not just because I've got a tiny crush on Benedict, heheh) and the first literary love I can remember - Nick Andros, from The Stand. I have no idea why I crush on him so hard, but wow. I was heartbroken when King killed him off. :( Oh, and another King character - Roland Deschain. *swoons*

ccarver30

Nicole Castro
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Jamie from the Outlander series is my biggest crush. It will be weird to see the TV series and who they put to portray him. It will probably ruin my whole fantasy, TV/Movies tend to do that to book characters.

This was the whole reason why I wrote The Duchess' Ring. When I saw Rob Pattinson was playing Edward in Twilight, I thought: That's not Edward. Henry Cavill is Edward (you sons of &^%#^@!!). Fine, I'll write my own Edward novel!

Note: TDR is a regency romance that has zero to do with vampires. :p

chicgeek

Registered
Reaction score
The two Spikes.

Cowboy Bebop Spike and Buffy the Vampire Slayer Spike. The latter in particular -- James Marsters made platinum blond hair hot. Plus he's a great actor and his character was the epitome of bad guy gone good (because if you think about it, he was a good guy gone bad gone good again).

Also, totally on board with David Tennant as Doctor Who.

EvilPenguin

Registered
Reaction score
I usually get really attached to the main male love interest in books I read but the one that always pops into my head when I hear someone ask this question is Etienne from Love Bites by Lynsay Sands. I don't know what it was about him but I sure did love him.

Also, Kisten from Kim Harrison's books was a pretty big crush.

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
So I bought Dragon Age Origins yesterda, ands I'm hooked. Alistair is such a hunny. He's gorgeous, and sweet, and handsome and lovely and when he woke up to me having a nightmare I thought it was the sweetest thing ever.
I'm in love with a fictional character! And it's all thanks to this thread that I was even introduced to him.

sennydreadful

X-Box Fancier
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sennydreadful.com
So I bought Dragon Age Origins yesterda, ands I'm hooked. Alistair is such a hunny. He's gorgeous, and sweet, and handsome and lovely and when he woke up to me having a nightmare I thought it was the sweetest thing ever.
I'm in love with a fictional character! And it's all thanks to this thread that I was even introduced to him.

*feeling all the Alastair love* <3

I just want to smoosh him, he's so adorable.

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score
I jeep freaking dying! And my heart breaks a little everytime he dies too. I'm in the redcliff castle atm and I'm getting my ass handed to me.

sohalt

Registered
Reaction score
Website
notsosilentsister.tumblr.com
First fictional crush? Probably some boy in an Astrid Lindgren Novel - Borka Borkason in Ronja Robber's daughter, Kalle Blomquist (although I could never really choose between Anders and him; poor Eva-Lotta!), Madicken's Abbe. Astrid Lindgren could write rather crush-worthy boys... Sensitive, but courageous they were always up for anything fun, but could be quite mature when neccessary.

And of course a lot of cartoon crushes - I'll join the Disney foxy Robin Hood harem. I also kinda liked Mowgli. And Bernhard from Bernhard and Bianca. Was always rather bored by most of the proper princes though (except for Mulan's captain, but I guess he doesn't really count as proper prince). (I'm still not quite over crushing on cartoons... Spike Spiegel, Mugen, Jin from Samurai Champloo)

Literary crushes, maybe not entirely designed to be crushed upon:

1) Ulrich in Man without Qualities. The very definition of every conceivable kind of privilege, he finds his life so lacking in any kind of challenge, that he sets himself an artifical one by deciding to kill himself if he doesn't succeed in giving his life some purpose in the span of a year. I was very impressed because I found him so intellectual. Yeah, I was in my late teens, early twenties then... (I still love the book. No longer crushing on Ulrich though).

2) Hans Castorp in The Magic Mountain. He also wants to be an intellectual, but he doesn't quite get there, before he's - Spoiler Alert - tragically probably killed in the First World War. Lots of tender feelings for poor Hans. His cousin Joachim is even more heartbreaking in his dutiful simplicity, but he's consequently quite a bit more one-note.

3) Robbie Turner in Atonement. Another tragic young man, felled in his prime. Persecuted innocence. And a bit like an Astrid Lindgren hero grown up, I imagine. Portrayed by James McAvoy in the movie, certainly a contributing factor.

4) Don Gately in Infinite Jest. A thief, murderer and ex-junkie, probably the closest thing to a bad boy on my list. But, yeah, tragic childhood and everything and also he's in rehab and he's struggling so heroically. Writing it down makes it sound so trite. It's not the "uh, sexy" kinda crush; he's just gving me all kinds of feelings.

I also had a bit of a soft spot for Holden Caufield and Angel St. Claire and Peter Walsh (the returning expat in Mrs. Dalloway), who are all ultimately rather disappointing - a certain weaknness for the self-righteous judgey types, I guess. But that's often the problem if you get too much of their perspective - it can nip the blossoming crush in the bud.

Ralyks

Untold stories inside
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.editorskylar.com
I had a huge thing for Stu.....but Nick came in a close second.

Major crush on Stu, but never Nick.
I've had a few fictional crushes. My longest lasting one was on Mr. Darcy, but I think I'm finally over him. A girl has to move on eventually.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
My newest crush. I'm actually a little bit in love.

Raylan Givens, KY US Marshal on Justified.

Holy moly...him in that hat with that slow, sexy, slightly southern accent...

Shara

Fix it in the Rewrite
Registered
Reaction score

And so the Alistair fan club grows...

After this thread I had to go back to the game. And I've not been doing much writing for the last two weeks because of it.

I have now managed to entice Alistair into my tent...heh heh heh...

French Maiden

Registered
Reaction score

After this thread I had to go back to the game. And I've not been doing much writing for the last two weeks because of it.

I have now managed to entice Alistair into my tent...heh heh heh...

You little hussy, you, :tongue
This game is depriving me of a life!!

It's ruined my writing routine and my eyes are burning because I'v been starting at a computer desk too long.

Dang Dragon Age.

crunchyblanket

the Juggernaut of Imperfection
Registered
Reaction score
and the first literary love I can remember - Nick Andros, from The Stand. I have no idea why I crush on him so hard, but wow. I was heartbroken when King killed him off. :(

Me too. I still adore Nick to this day and cringe on every re-read as 'that scene' approaches.

(Roland's great, but I kind of like Eddie more.)

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score

Alistair's probably my favourite male love interest in any video game. Not exactly a crush (mainly because I don't swing that way... #^_^#); he's an awesome guy, like Edward Chris von Muir.

As for my crushes? I've had a few. My biggest ones are Liara T'Soni and Lightning. I've also taken quite a liking to Isabelle Sinclair, one of the characters in the upcoming game Fuse. Ali Hillis just happens to voice a lot of hawt female characters. =^_^=

ArachnePhobia

Registered
Reaction score
Since the subject has turned to video games, y'know who I am totally shocked nobody's mentioned? Lucien LaChance. He's not my type*, but I was under the impression I was epically in the minority on that.

*Falcar is the ES character who should've had a courier serve me an in-game restraining order. I get a little blushy when I have to break into and search his bedroom, I still wish the game gave me the option of lying about what I found there, and I always spare his life. Somebody strike up Van Halen's "Hot for Teacher."

Status
Not open for further replies.