Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Looking for a Beta Reader for 1 chapter/literary fiction

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Looking for a Beta Reader for 1 chapter/literary fiction

I've just recently started working on a new story and I want to know if it's worth continuing. I'm looking for a beta reader who would be willing to read my first chapter (7000 words) and let me know how they feel. This is less about editing and more about whether or not you feel the story has potential. (I only say this because I'm in the middle of the work and I haven't had much of a chance to revise yet so I assume there will be grammar mistakes which I intend to correct later). If anyone is interested, please PM me an email address and I will send off the first chapter. Thanks!

but appreciated anyway... Unimportant's Avatar
    I can answer your question already. Yes, the story has potential.

Every story has potential. It's how it's written that makes the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Unimportant View Post
    I can answer your question already. Yes, the story has potential.

Every story has potential. It's how it's written that makes the difference.
    Ha, that made me feel better right away. I guess I'm looking for someone who can tell me if the style of writing I'm using is conducive to a full length novel or if they think I should rework it or hone my voice first.

but appreciated anyway... Unimportant's Avatar
    In that case, it may be better to get some five or ten, rather than some one, to share their opinion on the writing style.

If you stick around AW and participate, and get your post count up to 50, you can put your first thousand words or so up in the Share Your Work critique subforum, where hundreds of critiquers hang out.

A really good way to get your post count up quickly, and to build up goodwill, is to critique other people's stories in Share Your Work. Double bonus!

Quote Originally Posted by Unimportant View Post
    In that case, it may be better to get some five or ten, rather than some one, to share their opinion on the writing style.

If you stick around AW and participate, and get your post count up to 50, you can put your first thousand words or so up in the Share Your Work critique subforum, where hundreds of critiquers hang out.

A really good way to get your post count up quickly, and to build up goodwill, is to critique other people's stories in Share Your Work. Double bonus!
    All right, I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the advice. I guess you could tell I'm new so I appreciate the help.