What'd You Get?

cmi0616

Registered
Reaction score
I can't be the only one who got books for Christmas. What did y'all rake in?

I was given a collection of essays called Arguably by Christopher Hitchens (started reading them yesterday, the writing is fantastic). Also received some of the works of Daniel Silva, which is not exactly my kind of thing, but I'll probably check out a couple of them.

Belle_91

With her nose stuck in a book
Registered
Reaction score
Book wise I got Monsterous Beauty by Elizabeth Famaand American Heiress by Daisy Goodwin. I also got a season of The Office and a new purse! Santa was very good to me yesterday. :)

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Pearls Freaks the ^&*^ Out - Stephan Pastis. It's a Pearls before Swine treasury, and the cartoonist's commentaries on the strips are as good as the strips themselves. I'm surprised more cartoonists don't do this.

Birds of East Africa - Princeton Field Guides. Wow, a lot of these little dudes look alike!

Hologram for a King - Dave Eggers. Don't know what it's about, I just read everything of his.

Best American Non-required Reading 2012 and Best American Short Stories 2012. Tom Perrotta, another of my faves, edited the short story one.

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey;
Collected Poems of Oscar Wilde, Philip Larkin and John Berryman (three separate books);
Writing 21st Century Fiction: High Impact Techniques for Exceptional Storytelling in Modern Fiction by Donald Maass;
Snuff by Terry Pratchett.

They're all books I wanted, and I'm really looking forward to reading them. :)

Nick Rolynd

50% Dark, 50% Snark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
knitewrites.wordpress.com
Oh, boy. Here we go...

1.) The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
2.) I am Not a Serial Killer (the entire trilogy) by Dan Wells
3.) Delirium and Pandemonium by Lauren Oliver
4.) 11/22/63 by Stephen King
5.) The Golden Lily by Richelle Mead
6.) Days of Blood and Starlight by Laini Taylor
7.) Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
8.) The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer and The Evolution of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

That takes quite a chunk out of my to-read list. I still have a long way to go though. :)

Last edited:

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Medusa's Gaze and Vampire's Bite: The Science of Monsters, by Matt Kaplan
Ballyhoo, Buckaroo, and Spuds: Ingenious Tales of Words and Their Origins, by Michael Quinion

Also got a new journal and three giftcards--one for B&N, two for Amazon.

virtue_summer

Always learning
Registered
Reaction score
The Talisman by Stephen King and Peter Straub, and an Amazon.com gift card.

Ellaroni

Registered
Reaction score
I read so much that people are afraid of giving me books because I have usually read the ones I get.
So this year I got only three books. I had already read two of them... I'll pass one on to others and then keep the factual one at work for history lessons.

Ian McEwan: Sweet Tooth (read)
David Van Reybrouck: Congo - a history (read)
C.J. Samson: Dominion

TNK

Registered
Reaction score
I got Witch and Curse by Nancy Holder and Debbie Viguié and the complete The Parasol Protectorate series by Gail Carriger.

I also got Cold Days by Jim Butcher on my birthday. It was on the 5th so it totally counts. :D

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
The Life of Alexander, by Plutarch. Don't have the book with me to give you the translator - it's the Penguin classic one.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
The Day the World Ends by Ethan Coen of the Coen brothers. This book of Coen's poetry has reviews that range from bad to awful but since I'm basically an adolescent boy in an old man's body, I enjoyed the hell out of it.

The Art of Power--Thomas Jefferson, by Jon Meacham. Looking forward to this one.

Eisenhower, the White House Years, by Jim Newton. Starting this one today. It's interesting how historians who once considered Ike a doddering, bumbling old fool now seem to think there was a hell of a lot more substance to the guy than they thought.

And a bio of Julia Child, whose title and author I forget, but as Julia is one of my favorite people ever I'm convinced I'll love the book.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a Kindle, so people tend not to give me books unless I ask for them now. But this year, I got:

-The Compleat Ankh-Morpork, which is just so beautiful I want to lick err, stroke it.

-The Enormous Crocodile by Roald Dahl, a childhood favorite which I unfortunately lost many years ago.

-Where's My Cow? by Pratchett. So cute and so goshdurned pretty! I need to pounce on my niece and force-read it to her.

-The Dinosaur that Pooped Christmas. I think the title speaks for itself.

Also bought The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns for myself on the Kindle. :D

Wind Ann Wise

The Quiet One
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't get any books, but I did get a Kindle as a late Christmas present night before last. I've only downloaded one book, and have started reading it.
The Complete Adventures Of Sherlock Holmes.
It's awesome so far!

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't get any books, but I did get a Kindle as a late Christmas present night before last. I've only downloaded one book, and have started reading it.
The Complete Adventures Of Sherlock Holmes.
It's awesome so far!

Oo, you're going to have so much fun with your Kindle! I take mine with me everywhere I go. It's really quite a life-changing little device.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Would you believe I didn't get a single book for Christmas? :e2bummed:

My kids, however, got literally boxes and boxes of them, between me and my parents. :) Makes me happy to see them read.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
My kids, however, got literally boxes and boxes of them, between me and my parents. :) Makes me happy to see them read.

Yay. :hooray:

Christmas is one of the few times of year you can dump a pile of books on a kid and not get funny looks from them. Of course, I have conditioned Zoe that books are something to be cherished, so I get away with the goodies (I went overboard when I discovered there were lists of "best childrens books of the year").

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... reading is forbidden in my town. "Only wastrels and ne'er–do–wells engage in the pastime." Didn't get any books from anyone as such :-(

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Yay. :hooray:

Christmas is one of the few times of year you can dump a pile of books on a kid and not get funny looks from them. Of course, I have conditioned Zoe that books are something to be cherished, so I get away with the goodies (I went overboard when I discovered there were lists of "best childrens books of the year").

:D

I asked on the kids' forum here and got tons of great recommendations.

And the girl is in an AR race, so she's always looking for something new to read. So far she's read about ten books since Christmas.

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
101 Breakfast & Brunch Recipes by Gooseberry Patch. It's chock-full of different items so I'm excited. My mom gave me Walmart gift cards. I hope to transfer them to Amazon.com gift cards, and stuff my Kindle!

crunchyblanket

the Juggernaut of Imperfection
Registered
Reaction score
I got some national book tokens (whoo, free reign in any UK bookstore!) I also got the Walking Dead Compendium 2, which I'm already halfway through, and 'Rivers of London' by Ben Aaronovitch.