Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: A Year of Writing Flash Fiction: Week 52!

A Year of Writing Flash Fiction: Week 52!

A Year of Writing Flash Fiction is a new challenge that will be held in AW's Flash Fiction forum.

It will run every week during 2013. Week 1 of the challenge will begin on Saturday 5th January.

To meet the challenge in any particular week, participants must:

1) Write a flash fiction story.
    2) Polish that story.
    3) Submit that story to a market.

Each of these steps must be completed within that week to count.

The aim of this challenge is to help you to develop a regular routine of writing, editing and submitting flash fiction stories.

Resources:

I will post a story prompt every Saturday, at the start of each new week of the challenge. It is not compulsory to use this prompt; it is simply offered in case you would like something to help kick-start your ideas. You are also free to use, at any time, any of the prompts posted for the Flash Fortnight challenge, all of which are listed in the links given at the bottom of this post.

The Polished and Ready room (password: flashed). Once you have edited your story as best you can, you may post your story here for feedback before you send it out.

You might like to mention that it is a story written for this challenge (for example, you could put "YOWFF 1: [Story title]" as the thread title), so that critiquers are aware that there is a time constraint on feedback. If you do post in Polished and Ready, please consider providing feedback on the stories of your fellow members and challenge participants.

The Submitting and Selling Flash Fiction room. Look over the flash fiction markets listed and discussed here to help you decide which ones you would like to submit your story to.

The Flash Fictioners' Corner Booth. Discuss your writing, commiserate with each other regarding rejections, and celebrate story acceptances. This thread is yours to use as you like!

Signature pips:

As you progress in this challenge, you might like to mark your achievements in your AW forum signature. When you reach each milestone, feel free to use the appropriate image from this super special selection:

Best of luck!

yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
    Quote Originally Posted by Phaeal View Post
    The first draft is a huge pile of clay that you've laboriously heaped on your table, patting it into a rough shape as you go along. From the second draft onward, you'll cut away chunks, add bits, pat and punch and pinch, until you finally have a gorgeous figure of, oh, Marcus Aurelius. Or a duck. But a damn fine duck.
    Quote Originally Posted by KTC View Post
    1) Write like your face is on fire.
    I tweet. Not often, maybe not interestingly, but I tweet.
    My sort-of-not-really blog.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Eternally Lost Zeppo's Avatar

Thumbs up

I need to try and get back in the habit of writing stuff, so I might give this a go. Only thing is, I'm not sure I'm confident enough to try getting published yet. ^^;
    Sally Sparrow: I love old things. They make me feel sad.
    Kathy Nightingale: What's good about sad?
    Sally Sparrow: It's happy for deep people.

I'm gonna give all my secrets away Spell-it-out's Avatar
    Hi all,

I am new to the flash fiction section of Absolute Write, but I am here to give it all a go.
    See you soon!

A Year of Writing Flash Fiction: Week 1!

On your marks, flash fictioneers!

Your Week 1 prompt is: Changeling.

You have until the end of Friday 11th January to write, polish and submit your story.

GO!

Fearsome Dragon Mod AW Moderator jvc's Avatar
    This is a great idea and Sophia is brilliant for doing it. She is so brilliant, that I may even try for a few myself.

Changeling. There has to be an idea rumbling around my head for this prompt. Perhaps not with Odo from Deep Space Nine, though.
    Jed.

There comes a time in your life when you just have to run outside and shout 'banana' as loud as you can. Are you there yet?

Come follow me on Twitter (@JedCullan) for random stuff, plus regular #OnThisDay with humour.

My Blog: A Few Random Thoughts - Lots of Fun Facts and Humorous History posts. Parenting: Facts And Advice On Temper Tantrums.

Just a quick question, what counts as the end of Friday 11th/etc for the purposes of this challenge? Is it midnight in EST/GMT/etc, or just for whatever time zone we're in personally?

Quote Originally Posted by Eternally Lost Zeppo View Post
    Just a quick question, what counts as the end of Friday 11th/etc for the purposes of this challenge? Is it midnight in EST/GMT/etc, or just for whatever time zone we're in personally?
    Sophia can confirm this later, but for now I'd say in whatever time zone you are in will be fine.

Or GMT, as that's the one I'm in.
    Jed.

There comes a time in your life when you just have to run outside and shout 'banana' as loud as you can. Are you there yet?

Come follow me on Twitter (@JedCullan) for random stuff, plus regular #OnThisDay with humour.

My Blog: A Few Random Thoughts - Lots of Fun Facts and Humorous History posts. Parenting: Facts And Advice On Temper Tantrums.

Whatever time zone we're in personally, I'd say. However, if we're talking about serious cases of procrastination that require the firm whip of discipline and deadlines, then GMT IT IS, SLACKERS.

Quote Originally Posted by Sophia View Post
    Whatever time zone we're in personally, I'd say. However, if we're talking about serious cases of procrastination that require the firm whip of discipline and deadlines, then GMT IT IS, SLACKERS.
    Alright then, thanks for the clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by Sophia View Post
    I win! Do I get a special thingy to have in my sig for it?
    Jed.

crazy mean SuperModerator Old Hack's Avatar
    This is a really good idea.

Just over two days left! Which is plenty of time! Those members who have leapt to face this challenge - how are you doing?

We have one entry already up for critique in Polished and Ready (password: flashed). Spell-it-out's story is here, if you have a few minutes to read and comment before he sends it out of the door!

is her own imaginary friend Yasaibatake's Avatar
    So I just saw this, but I really want to join! I totally have enough time to pull this off by midnight tomorrow...right? I was going to grade tonight (if you don't know me, I'm a middle school teacher) but maybe my kiddos can wait until Monday to get their quizzes back...

Moi je parle ici pour mes soeurs et frères qui se battent jour et nuit contre l'ordinaire ...je fais ce qu'il faut donc je vise très haut, et plus encore. Tu dis que c'est trop, et alors j'irai jusqu'au fond; et si c'est un mirage, je remercierai le ciel pour le stage. -"Rêves de Star"

Have a few minutes? I'd love some help with a short WIP! Progress (500 words) password: flashed

Quote Originally Posted by Yasaibatake View Post
    So I just saw this, but I really want to join! I totally have enough time to pull this off by midnight tomorrow...right? I was going to grade tonight (if you don't know me, I'm a middle school teacher) but maybe my kiddos can wait until Monday to get their quizzes back...
    .....let em wait

Submitted "Cycle" to Flash Fiction Online, week 1 completed!
    Week one, check.

Quote Originally Posted by Spell-it-out View Post
    Submitted "Cycle" to Flash Fiction Online, week 1 completed!
    Week one, check.
    , and not forgetting, !

Well done, Spell-it-out! I'm really pleased for you.

Yasaibatake, you definitely have enough time, you mad, desperate writer, you! Write! Write like the hounds are snapping at your hair, which is on fire!

It is now exactly 11pm and "The Knock" has officially been submitted! Woohoo! I cheated a bit and re-used an old story idea that never went anywhere before, but this is definitely the best version I've written, so I still have hope

Moi je parle ici pour mes soeurs et frères qui se battent jour et nuit contre l'ordinaire ...je fais ce qu'il faut donc je vise très haut, et plus encore. Tu dis que c'est trop, et alors j'irai jusqu'au fond; et si c'est un mirage, je remercierai le ciel pour le stage. -"Rêves de Star"

Have a few minutes? I'd love some help with a short WIP! Progress (500 words) password: flashed

Woo hoo, Yasaibatake! Fantastic work!

Just in time for...

A Year of Writing Flash Fiction: Week 2!

Rev your engines, flash fictioneers!

Your Week 2 prompt is: Beacon.

You have until the end of Friday 18th January to write, polish and submit your story.

GO!

*Cracks Knuckles*

Here we go...

Hrrm...actually having more luck with coming up with an idea for Chuck Wendig's flash fic challenge than for this week's prompt.

Setting is 'Teen Noir', conflict is 'The character is being hunted' and it must include 'a vengeful god'. XD

I initially read this week's prompt as "bacon"

To my great surprise, I actually have two stories going this week! I had a good rough draft going over the weekend, and then last night's Flash Fiction Challenge produced a second story I like just as much. Maybe I'll get them both out this week...

straitjacket test pilot sunjunkie's Avatar
    Gah! I'm late to the party but I brought this fine Cruzan rum. Can anyone play? Or only those who know the secret handshake?

Sunjunkie

Coming soon to a Facebook near you

Hi, sunjunkie! I commend you on your excellent sense of timing, for you are right on time for...

A Year of Writing Flash Fiction: Week 3!

Gather your milk pails, flash fictioneers!

Your Week 3 prompt is: Pasture.

You have until the end of Friday 25th January to write, polish and submit your story.

GO!

So...I hate to be that person, but how strict are we being about the "flash" part of this challenge? I think of flash fiction as being under 1,000 words, and my rough draft for this week ended up running almost 1200 words (1154 to be precise). While there's a good bit of editing to do, I'll be adding at the same time as cutting...I'm hoping to write two stories again this week, but we'll see what actually happens

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast