Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Non-fiction blogs

  1. #1
    New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    4

    Non-fiction blogs

    Hi everyone,

    I was looking at some threads here and made a little search and I figured out that the most of your blogs are about writing or fiction published (and that's perfectly normal, we're in a writers forum). Personally, I prefer fiction just in my own first language (Portuguese). I don't know, it's the opposite of what I read here - Portuguese people that rather write (and probably read) in English. Maybe that's because I'm not very good at it. I don't like English, to be honest.

    So, I was just thinking in found some non-fiction blogs, about, for example, Society, Culture, Economics, Politics, etc. In the last weeks I was searching to new blogs to read to inspire me to think and write about new topics, either in Portuguese, English and Spanish. Maybe even to translate some good posts into my blog.

    If you want to put your links here, I'll be glad in read and comment your creations, thoughts and ideas - or even know you better (I'm new here, as you easily confirm).

    (PS: If I write some errors in English, you're free to correct me. I'm always available to learn.)

  2. #2
    Inappropriately math-oriented. slhuang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    2,613
    Hi there and welcome!

    I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for, but I got quoted in translation in a Portuguese blog today: http://luispascoal.com/oferta-de-pre...egras-sociais/

    I can't read the site except through Google Translate, which is . . . not the best way to read something, but it looks interesting!

    I write in English, sometimes about writing but mostly about life (politics, firearms, popular culture, etc.). Again, not sure what you're looking for, but feel free to check me out here.

    If you check out the "Have You Updated Your Blog Today?" thread you also might be able to skim through and find some nonfiction articles by AWers, though I think you're right that a good chunk of the people here concentrate on writing about writing.

    And again, welcome!

  3. #3
    New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    4
    slhuang, I've already read some of your articles and saved the blog in favorites.

    And I saw the last pages of "Have You Updated Your Blog Today?" before posting this thread. I found two or three about non-fiction, but the majority are about writing, have fiction or are like diaries.

    Thank you for the suggestion, but... What are the odds? That's my blog haha
    Btw, when I have time, I'll translate you the post.

  4. #4
    Inappropriately math-oriented. slhuang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    2,613
    Quote Originally Posted by lufico View Post
    Thank you for the suggestion, but... What are the odds? That's my blog haha
    Btw, when I have time, I'll translate you the post.
    Oh, that is SO FUNNY!

    I would love a translation if you have the time at some point -- I read the whole thing through Google Translate and it looked like a VERY cool article! I wish I could read Portuguese so I could read more of your blog . . . I'll be recommending it to my Brazilian relatives.

  5. #5
    Geekzilla BigWords's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    inside the machine
    Posts
    10,670
    Quote Originally Posted by lufico View Post
    I was looking at some threads here and made a little search and I figured out that the most of your blogs are about writing or fiction published (and that's perfectly normal, we're in a writers forum).
    There are lots of people on the board writing non-fiction, ranging from reviews of beer through to political views, encompassing pop culture, history, music... Click through several of the sub-forums to get a feel of just how many people are on the forum, and the range of views. You will find many worthwhile blogs to follow.

    Quote Originally Posted by lufico View Post
    Personally, I prefer fiction just in my own first language (Portuguese).
    Have a look at the International District.

    Quote Originally Posted by lufico View Post
    Maybe even to translate some good posts into my blog.
    Get permission from the original author of the posts before you start doing this, and include a link back to the post if you are given the all-clear to proceed. Good luck.
    The blog, which may not be updated regularly enough. -- I'm linking to other AW blogs here. -- There's some nonsense here when I can be bothered.
    Don't hold your breath...

    Quote Originally Posted by AbielleRose View Post
    Dude, I am not that flexible.
    Quote Originally Posted by aliwood View Post
    The SFF Review Educational Supplement is now open. I'll be listing books, podcasts, online courses and anything else that aims to help the SFF writer improve their skills, provided they're free. (the books, podcasts, online courses and anything else, not the writers)




    The British Comics Database is growing. Or mutating. I'm not quite sure which, yet.

  6. #6
    New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by slhuang View Post
    Oh, that is SO FUNNY!
    I would love a translation if you have the time at some point -- I read the whole thing through Google Translate and it looked like a VERY cool article! I wish I could read Portuguese so I could read more of your blog . . . I'll be recommending it to my Brazilian relatives.
    Thank you for recommendations. Your blog is very good too. It's probable that I'll quote you more times. I would like to translate mine to other languages. I can do that for Spanish by my own, but English I would need help. Maybe with the help of good people from here.

    Quote Originally Posted by BigWords View Post
    There are lots of people on the board writing non-fiction, ranging from reviews of beer through to political views, encompassing pop culture, history, music... Click through several of the sub-forums to get a feel of just how many people are on the forum, and the range of views. You will find many worthwhile blogs to follow.
    Thank you, BigWords, I'll do that.

    Quote Originally Posted by BigWords View Post
    Have a look at the International District.
    I have already posted there, I'm waiting for answers.

    Quote Originally Posted by BigWords View Post
    Get permission from the original author of the posts before you start doing this, and include a link back to the post if you are given the all-clear to proceed. Good luck.
    Of course. For example, when I quoted slhuang I sent him a message. But actually I never translated a whole post. I prefer just quote and/or recommend good articles related to the topic I'm writing about.


    And I apologize for not presenting myself, but I don't like it very much, as I said in International District. What I think I'm am is not what I really am. But I want to know more people here, have fun and discuss with you some topics about writing, of course.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Custom Search