DIY Solar Panels - Power to the People!

Tyler Danann

Registered
Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VNkFgCjjHc

Building your own solar panel grants you autonomy from purchasing one off the shelf. Bought commercially these can cost a fortune but by being able to make one yourself you can save yourself money, learn and gain knowledge instead of being lazy and having someone else do the work.

P1020699.jpg

The Suns rays are free, in parts of the USA there's an abundance of solar energy.

Yet, to harness them adequately, takes some work. Here's how you do it... :)

Firstly you'll need a small workshop or area where you can work uncluttered. A flat surface is essential. In the shade is important, not only for comfort but you don't want your panel it 'go live' while your working on it. Especially in the case of a very large panel.

The right tools are also necessary.

Solar cells - 0.5 volt 3.6 amp polycrystaline.

At least enough for 7 - 10 volts per array. If you're wanting to charge up a lead acid battery you'll need to build two or more of these. Otherwise re-charging it will be difficult. SOURCE: Ebay.

$0.75 per cell which is 0.5 volts each at peak power.
Be VERY gently handling them as they snap with ease.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/36-3x6-Un...969?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1ac5b1a1

Stuff you'll need for one array / panel.

1. Soldering Iron

2. Thin Solder

3. Clear, see-through perspex in a minimum of 2 equal sections.
Make sure you have the dimensions of AT LEAST 350mm x 750mm x 4mm. Any less and you're cutting it fine for margins to the edge with a 2 column displacement on your cells.

4. EVA (ethal vynal acetate), this what you need to seal in the cells to one another so they are crack resistant and will hold them together if they do crack (thus retaining conductivity.

5. A method to raise the perspex clear of each other. This may involve wooden beading (you'll need a table saw for ultra accuracy),DIY methods or use fine sections of perspex glued together.

6. Araldite glue (plenty of it!)

7. Surgical Gloves.

8. A heatgun (used for paintstripping) or a hairdryer.

First thing you need to do is order in some perspex and source your solar cells.
I used Plastic People for my clear perspex and ordered 2 sheets of equal dimensions.

http://theplasticpeople.co.uk/

Solar Panels being soldered

P1020684.jpg

So by the picture above you can see that I've soldered a fair few and am coming to the end of the main soldering.

You want to have the 2 rows (or more) in a configuration where it runs like a railway track. One-way from top to bottom; The top being where you'll be making a 'bus' wire bridging the contacts, the bottom where you'll have the + and - wires running out of the array to be heatshrinked and joined by your voltage regulator wiring.

Once the soldering is done you need to sort the EVA out.
This needs to be laid out on top of and underneath the cells. Be careful as you'll have to move them back and forth as you go about soldering and placing the eva underneath etc.
You can't solder the cells with the EVA in place though as the heat will melt it.
Once you've got the EVA laid out you need to first get the feel on a sample section by heating it up and seeing how much heat you need etc.

If all this is too much for you to understand I totally agree, which is why I made a video of how to do it at the top of this page :)

Tyler Danann

Registered
Reaction score
For the second stage having heated the EVA up and stuck down onto the plexiglass is to bet the beading in place.

This is what keeps the top and bottom sheet from squeezing down on the actual solar array sandwiched inside both sheets.

Once that's done you need to make sure your panels are working ok (before sealing up the EVA it's a good idea to check then, rather than afterwards just in case your wiring is iffy you can fix it without tearing it open).

If all is good you have just created a fully functioning solar panel for a fraction of the cost buying one in the store will of set you back.

Video below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pf-1Rxmp8MY

Yasaibatake

is her own imaginary friend
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you! This is just about the coolest thing ever. It'll be a while before I'll be able to get around to trying it myself, but I am definitely excited by the possibilities :)

GrouchPotato

Old dog, a few new tricks
Registered
Reaction score
When you say, "a fraction of the cost" of ready made panels, how does that translate into the final cost per watt of your finished DIY panel?