Emanuel Church has a donate button on their website, if you'd like to help.

See also the Mother Emanuel Hope Fund

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sound tracks for your book?

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Sound tracks for your book?

So sometimes I like to pretend my book is a movie and when I hear a song imagine a scene from it set to it. I am a nerd like that.

But serious question. Do you find yourself listening to different music as you write? Like music that inspires that particular work or that seems more like your characters would like it then you actually like it yourself?

Just so I feel less odd has anyone else picked out a sound track to their non-existent movie based on their book? lol

I fight like a dairy farmer Corussa's Avatar
    I'm the same, absolutely.

I've relied heavily on a couple of Two Steps from Hell albums to inspire/focus me when writing. I have a favourite track that is the 'trailer music' to one of my WIPs; every time I play it I imagine the trailer. It's always great. Just a shame I can't translate it on to the page in the way that I want! (Yet.)

So I think it's a good thing and not at all nerdy to do.
    'Everything you want is on the other side of fear.' Jack Canfield

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Quote Originally Posted by Corussa View Post
    I'm the same, absolutely.

I've relied heavily on a couple of Two Steps from Hell albums to inspire/focus me when writing. I have a favourite track that is the 'trailer music' to one of my WIPs; every time I play it I imagine the trailer. It's always great. Just a shame I can't translate it on to the page in the way that I want! (Yet.)

So I think it's a good thing and not at all nerdy to do.
    Good to know it isn't just me! I also have an imaginary trailer!

I also belong in this club! I added a number of songs to my playlist for this year's NaNo novel and they keep buzzing in my head whenever I think about scenes for that book (I'm almost at the end now). When I sit down to write, I play that list over and over, and occasionally I add some songs. There are 31 on the playlist right now.
    I really need music to write - and I always prefer with lyrics too, I never think it interferes with my own words.
    Blog * Twitter * Goodreads

Projects:
    Fjord Blue - YA LGBT contemp - coming Nov 2015 from Harmony Ink Press
    P - YA triple POV - 84K - on submission
    FK - YA romance, dual POV - 10K & hiatus
    Mick & Michelle - YA LGBTQ - 75K, with betas

Published:
    SUPERMASSIVE - Contemp LGBT YA (2014)
    Get it at Amazon and Harmony Ink Press

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTY_UKnXd50

I listen to music like this whenever I'm writing my short stories.^^ And yes, I'm an anime fan.

Haven't picked out a pretend movie soundtrack (that's a fun idea though), but I definitely have a playlist for each WIP. When the ideas start brewing for a particular story, I listen to the playlist and the songs inspire me or help me feel the tone of a certain scene. I also recently created a playlist for a character, like one that he'd be listening to on his headphones while doing his job.

practical experience, FTW KSavoie's Avatar
    A big portion of my novel I have been listening to the song Radioative by Imagine Dragons. It just seems to fit what is going on in my story, or at least I imagine it fits well haha.
    New day, new blog.
    kevinwritesbooks.wordpress.com

Or check out my Twitter. I say funny stuff sometimes!
    Here's my twitter!

PURSUIT (YA Urban Fantasy) -- Trunked
    THE OTHER SIDE OF HAPPY (YA LGBT Contemporary) -- Revision Round 4
    (YA LGBT Speculative Fiction) -- 50k/65k
    (YA Sci-Fi) -- Brainstorming

Hero, villain, angel, demon AW Moderator Sage's Avatar
    I make a soundtrack for almost every book I write. The ones I don't, don't usually get to the editing stage.

There's a huge thread of playlists somewhere in here if you want to share

Hero/Villain: Fixing, thanks to betas
    Super/Human: With betas
    Master/Puppet: Ready for betas

This week, I'm in: Ohio

If I'm honest, whenever I'm listening to my iPod, I think of my characters. Different songs remind me of the different stories I have written and plan to right. In my current manuscript, which I'm revising at the moment, the two main characters are piano players, so I'll often listen to a song and imagine that it's one of them playing the music and singing. And I imagine trailers for my books all the time!
    Completed manuscripts:

THE MONSTER IN THE MAN (Thriller)
    JIGSAW BOY (YA)
    HIT THE BREAKS (YA/Mystery)
    BLACK AND BLUE (Mainstream)
    THUNDER AND LIGHTNING (Mainstream)

I am currently working on:

SWEET AND SOUND SHE SLEEPS (Literary)
    THE TENDER WOLF (Literary)

Planning to write in the future:

FREYA AND THE HEATHENS (YA)
    BLANK BOOK BOY (YA)
    SIBLINGS OF SEDUCTION (Erotica)

Listening to Bastille on repeat LadyA's Avatar
    Yes, definitely - I reckon it adds to a scene (reading it AND writing it) if there's an appropriate song playing, and if, say, you're writing a scene full of angst and listening to Carly Ray Jepsen, it's going to put you off your stride

THE BR1GHTEST FELL, which is a pretty dark contemp, involved a lot of angsty emo stuff - Evanescence, You Me At Six, Natalia Kills, etc.
    Plus some Brit chart-folk music - Mumford and Son, Seth Lakeman, Kate Rusby and so on.

YOU, ME AND EIGHT CRAZY GOODBYES is a bittersweet, grief-and-romance beach-y book, so there was happy pop like One Direction, Conor Maynard, Rihanna, and sad songs by people like Cat Stevens, Seth Lakeman again, Emeli Sande, Lady Antebellum and others.
    Amy x

HIS & Y0URS & NEVER MINE - YA Contemp

UNTITLED - YA Contemp (WIP)

twitter tumblr

Represented by L0uise Fury of Th3 B3nt Ag3ncy.

So Goth That I Was Born Black AW Moderator Kitty27's Avatar
    The YA novel in my siggy has a lot of Aaliyah(I don't think I could have written half of this novel w/o her music. RIP.), SWV, Drake, Beyonce, Lloyd, Brandy,basically Hip-Hop&RnB.

The second novel's soundtrack is dark and dense music. Soper Aeternus, Puscifer,Tool, My Dying Bride,Draconian, and more Gothic/symphonic metal.

Two Steps From Hell is awesome! I use them for my epic fantasy soundtrack. I LOVE ES Posthumus and when I write to them,I get quite full of myself and entertain Tolkien-esque delusions of grandeur.
    Last edited by Kitty27; 01-05-2013 at 10:25 AM.
    Tupac Shakur,the greatest rapper of all time,is now in the National Recording Registry

NIGHT CALLS(Finally have a title! )YA Paranormal Romance/YA Novel Coming 2015.(FINALLY.)
    Chocolate&Coffee are necessary for a happy life.

"You've got to stop with this rap crap,Kitty. Put on some blues,gal! Feel that pain,soul and a good old time. Get with some Howling Wolf,Denise LaSalle and Johnny Taylor. Not that Snoopy boy or whatever his name is."
    RC Wilcox,RIP

You go Glen Coco CarysDovahkiin's Avatar
    In a lovely place, in my mind. Would you like to visit?
    Grooveshark.

For all your music needs.

For atmospheric, haunting music -- Florence & the Machine, with a little Evanescence thrown in.
    <---- NEW BOOK (Snazzy new cover coming ASAP.)

practical experience, FTW KSavoie's Avatar
    Florence and the Machine has helped me write a number of short stories for my Creative Writing classes.
    New day, new blog.
    kevinwritesbooks.wordpress.com

Or check out my Twitter. I say funny stuff sometimes!
    Here's my twitter!

PURSUIT (YA Urban Fantasy) -- Trunked
    THE OTHER SIDE OF HAPPY (YA LGBT Contemporary) -- Revision Round 4
    (YA LGBT Speculative Fiction) -- 50k/65k
    (YA Sci-Fi) -- Brainstorming

practical experience, FTW Amynta's Avatar
    I'm actually listening to my WIP's soundtrack right now. The one downside of it is that there are Christmas carols in it. Thematically perfect... it's just awkward listening to them right now. XD

For I am a Rain Dog too LJ Hall's Avatar
    Music is a huge factor when I'm writing. It helps settle the ADHD, ya know?

I like to choose songs that fit a mood, the tone of the book, not songs that would necessarily appear in some soundtrack or on my MC's iPod.

Like right now I'm editing a pretty dark-toned urban fantasy that deals with class issues (using werewolves and vampires) and focuses on the broke and miserable on the scummy side of town. I listen to a LOT of Tom Waits.

My New Cat Is Too Big for Shoulders Corinne Duyvis's Avatar
    I don't listen to music as I write, but I do put together soundtracks for my book. They help me get in the mood and figure out the characters.
    Website
    Twitter
    Disability in Kidlit

"Original and compelling; a stunning debut." —Kirkus ★
    "Duyvis makes ingenious use of a fascinating premise." —PW ★
    "[Its] true strength ... is in its positive portrayal of LGBT issues." —SLJ ★
    "[S]ubtle, nuanced examinations of power dynamics and privilege." —BCCB ★

OTHERBOUND—now out!

I can't write while writing, either. I usually listen to a certain song a few times in a row to get the rhythm in my head, then try and match the words to the beat.

Another one that's really good for this is the soundtrack to the movie The Village.
    <---- NEW BOOK (Snazzy new cover coming ASAP.)

Making friends with the Deadly Sins SAppleyard's Avatar
    Most definitely! Usually I end up hearing a song that just fits the story or characters so well so then I try to incorporate it somehow lol. Usually I have a song for the main character that is the song that describes them best. Sometimes I don't find it until halfway through writing, but when I do it helps me make my character stronger sometimes because I think about the words and what they mean to him or her.
    A Girl Named Love
    86/90K
    Amorette has one job to do on Earth: spread her sin Lust. When Wesley arrives and ignores her advances, he has Amorette's attention. No one’s ever refused her and she isn't about to let him. What neither knows is that Lucifer has lied for centuries to keep them apart.

I've discovered I can't write while listening to music. It's just too distracting nowadays. My multi-tasking skills suck.

A Gentleman of a refined age... thothguard51's Avatar
    Celtic...
    Knowledge is learned while wisdom is earned.

Currently working on...

From, The Tales of Netherron,
    Book 1, A Game of Pawns
    Book 2, Pawn takes Queen,
    Book 3, Pawn's Gambit,

In the pipeline,
    Children of Netherron, follow up trilogy
    Guardians of Netherron, prequel trilogy

http://nickanthony51.wordpress.com (on hiatus)

Nick Anthony

Growing tipsier as we speak DrunkenLilacs's Avatar
    I don't know if it's just me, but when I'm super invested in a particular WIP, it seems like every song I listen to fits perfectly with the characters' situations. The lyrics, the atmosphere. The only time I can really write while listening to music is when I'm writing action-y scenes or emotional scenes. Other than that, nahhh. I start typing the lyrics down by accident.
    what winter left us (tentative title)
    ya contemporary

with the weird fowl in her userpic Nicole River's Avatar
    Harsh industrial. I can't listen to anything else lately. And for once I'm working on a WIP where harsh industrial FITS the WIP...

I've found a lot of inspiration in Lana Del Rey's album Born to Die, but I wouldn't say it's a soundtrack.

Edit: Also, Florence and the Machine. Always.
    Last edited by frankiebrown; 01-07-2013 at 05:27 AM.
    "To a worm in horseradish, the world is horseradish."
    Blog last updated 12/7: On Pacing

on twitter: @frankiebrown25
    Debut novel: UNTIL WE END Bloomsbury Spark, Dec '13. Represented by JL Stermer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast