Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Question About an Offer

Question About an Offer

I got an offer of rep. but still have two partials and 1 full out that I'd rather go with. Should I ask the partial requesters if they want to see the full? How much time should I give if I do that? Would having an offer from another agent help make a favorable decision for the others?

This will all make sense tomorrow
    Absolutely let the other agents with your ms know you have an offer. They can then decide if they want to pass/see more/make an offer as well. I think 1-2 weeks is fairly standard in terms of time. It may not get you favourable answers from the others, but it sure as heck speeds up the process when you have an offer on the table.
    Wicked Historical Romance
    ---
    Web: www.nicola-davidson.com
    FB: Nicola Davidson - Author
    Twitter: @NicolaMDavidson
    ---
    His Forbidden Lady (Tudor) available now from Entangled Publishing.
    A Midsummer Night's Kiss anthology (Regency) available now.
    To Love a Hellion (Regency rom sus) NEW RELEASE!
    One Forbidden Knight (Tudor) coming October 2015 from Entangled Publishing.

Who's going for a beer? waylander's Avatar
    What she said.
    You must inform the other agents who are considering your work.

And congratulations
    Behind the smile, there's danger and a promise to be told.

Hopeful romantic/hopeless pedant ARoyce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Undercover View Post
    I got an offer of rep. but still have two partials and 1 full out that I'd rather go with. Should I ask the partial requesters if they want to see the full? How much time should I give if I do that? Would having an offer from another agent help make a favorable decision for the others?
    Congratulations!

(A word of caution: it might not be diplomatic to mention that you'd rather go with someone else. While it may be unlikely that the agents in question would find this, it's not impossible.)

Rather than ask the others if they want to upgrade, I'd email them an update with the subject line "offer of rep." If they're interested, they'll move more quickly.

While 1-2 weeks seems standard, I'm not sure if that's enough due to the holidays...maybe request a response by Jan. 11? Whatever date you suggest, you should also make sure that's okay with the agent who has already offered.

Getting an offer of rep won't necessarily get more favorable responses, but it will get you faster responses than the average querier.

Congrats again and good luck with the others!
    Living my Happily Ever After and writing imaginary ones

Web site ~ Twitter ~ Facebook

Thanks everyone. I informed the other agents and one got back to me right away asking for the full. And we're on the same wave length ARoyce, I asked if it could be read by Jan 10th. The date just popped in my head, probably should have looked at the calender first.

The full request was just earlier today and she mentioned she'd get back to me sometime early January. Should I still mention it to her? I feel weird telling her today when she JUST requested it. Would telling her next week (after xmas) be better?

Recovering adjective addict
    I've read that agents consider it common courtesy to be informed when there is an offer of rep out on an ms they are considering.

ETA: Congrats!

My New Cat Is Too Big for Shoulders Corinne Duyvis's Avatar
    Normally January 10th would be very lenient--one week is standard--but given the holidays, it makes sense.

If you've recently queried an agent you really love and haven't gotten a response yet, you can contact them, as well. I did that when I got my offer, and it resulted in a second offer.
    —Website
    —Twitter
    —Disability in Kidlit

"Subtle, nuanced examinations of power dynamics and privilege." —BCCB ★
    OTHERBOUND, recipient of four starred reviews, is now in stores!

ON THE EDGE OF GONE — coming March 2016

Lurker, now activated. :-) Smiley0501's Avatar
    Congrats! I second all the others above me - let all the other agents know you have an offer (even those with a partial or full). Good luck!
    You can call me *~Smiley~*

practical experience, FTW FCameron's Avatar
    Congratulations!
    Freda Cameron

Thriller: R&R underway for agent
    Thriller: WIP
    Historical Fiction: Researching

When I'm not writing fiction, I blog (unedited) about what I love at Defining Your Home, Garden & Travel

crazy mean SuperModerator Old Hack's Avatar
    Definitely let all the other agents who have expressed interest know that you have an offer of representation. You don't have to tell them who it is who has offered, of course, although some of them might ask.

Don't forget to check out the offering agent, if you haven't done so already. Signing with an agent is a big deal, and you don't want to sign with one who isn't going to do an excellent job for you.