NRA Response To Newtown School Shooting

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Wayne LaPierre gave the NRA's official response to the Newtown shooting this morning.

He blamed the media and video games and doubled down on the importance that we all have guns.

Also proposed as a solution to gun violence that we set up a national program that would provide for armed guards for every school in the nation.

Full text here.

This is a sick, sick, man.

Last edited:

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
You forgot the real corker.

A National Register of mentally ill people.

That 'press conference' had me frothing at the mouth. Completely out of touch with reality and yet another reason why I hate the NRA.

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
LAPIERRE: The truth is, that our society is populated by an unknown number of genuine monsters. People that are so deranged, so evil, so possessed by voices and driven by demons, that no sane person can every possibly comprehend them. They walk among us every single day, and does anybody really believe that the next Adam Lanza isn’t planning his attack on a school, he’s already identified at this very moment?

My jaw dropped.

I was so hoping that the NRA would...I don't know...be reasonable? Stupid of me.

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
Wayne LaPierre said:
There exists in this country a callous, corrupt and corrupting shadow industry that sells, and sows, violence against its own people.

Through vicious, violent video games with names like Bulletstorm, Grand Theft Auto, Mortal Kombat and Splatterhouse.

It's always amusing how some people whose beliefs are completely disconnected from reality say that other people are unable to disconnect video games from reality.

And obviously armed guards will prevent school shootings. Like Columbine High School.

Sarpedon

Banned
Reaction score
Outrageous.

And to pay for the armed guards, how about a tax on gun and ammunition sales. Do you think he'd agree to that?

Didn't think so.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
He'd like people to admit the "possibility" that lives could have been saved if there had been armed people in Newtown school.

You betcha. It is absolutely a possibility.

The knee jerk response to that? Wonder how many would have been saved if there had been NO guns in the Newtown school?

The more reasoned question? Would he admit, given the number of accidental gun related injuries each year (see Monkey's recent thread) that there is a greater possibility of more gun related injuries and fatalities in schools across the country if there were more guns in schools? (That's some pretty basic math.)
Hey, if you got to sell guns, you got to sell guns.

Yeah, it sounded more, to me, like Mr. LaPierre is using this tragedy to kick off a membership drive.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
So much for contributing to a solution.

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com

That 'press conference' had me frothing at the mouth. Completely out of touch with reality and yet another reason why I hate the NRA.

Did LaPierre advicate such a registry?????

firedrake

Registered
Reaction score

My bad. Mea culpa
This is actually what he said.

"A dozen more killers? A hundred? More? How can we possibly even guess how many, given our nation's refusal to create an active national database of the mentally ill?"

Kinda got the impression that he thinks refusing to create a database is a bad thing.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
And then what, after this impossible-to-create and mostly pointless registry created? Because, after all, most mentally ill people aren't actually dangerous to others. And many are not diagnosed, so they wouldn't end up on it anyway.

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
And why even qualifies as "mentally ill"? I don't remember the last time I met a person who didn't claim to have some metal illness/developmental disorder/neurological quirk.

Foley

ever decreasing circles
Registered
Reaction score
Ridiculous! How can an armed security guard defend a school? You'd need at least three or four on rolling patrols, but even then a determined attack would find a way through. No. The only solution is for the govt. to arm all school children.

(Who was it who had a contract with the US military to trial designs in the children's toy market?)

Last edited:

firedrake

Registered
Reaction score
And having an armed guard at Columbine didn't stop the killers

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
And why even qualifies as "mentally ill"? I don't remember the last time I met a person who didn't claim to have some metal illness/developmental disorder/neurological quirk.

So, so true. Everyone I know has some sort of issue. I have several myself!

fireluxlou

Registered
Reaction score
Ridiculous! How can an armed security guard defend a school? You'd need at least three or four on rolling patrols, but even then a determined attack would find a way through. No. The only solution is for the govt. to arm all school children.

(Wasn't it the Hasbro toy co. who had a contract with the US military to trial designs in the children's toy market?)

It's funny he says this because you know the minute they implement such a thing in schools by employing security guards for every school, it'll come down to that the current leaders are 'wasting my taxes' or something. You can never make these kind of people happy.

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
firedrake posted this:

And so I asked him:

And then both rugcat and firedrake replied one after the other:

Pretty much.
A dozen more killers? A hundred? More? How can we possibly even guess how many, given our nation's refusal to create an active national database of the mentally ill?

My bad. Mea culpa
This is actually what he said.

"A dozen more killers? A hundred? More? How can we possibly even guess how many, given our nation's refusal to create an active national database of the mentally ill?"

Kinda got the impression that he thinks refusing to create a database is a bad thing.

So my response is .... Okay then. Sounds to me like LaPierre wants such a database. (Stupid of an idea as it is. He's pitting the Right to Bear Arms against the Right to Privacy. What a way to tear apart the Constitution -- by pitting on Right against another Right and letting both Rights engage in a duel to the death!)

And then I found this online petition that is underway right now.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/975/...-ill-people-to-prevent-gun-ownershipexposure/

Create a national registry of mentally ill people to prevent gun ownership/exposure

Target: Federal Government
Sponsored by: Matt Quaid

I'm neither a gun opponent, nor advocate, and I do support stricter gun laws on semi-auto weapons. However, it's become clear that mental illness is primarily behind the recent rash of mass-shootings.

My solution is to create a national registry/database designated to mentally ill citizens for the purpose of preventing them gun ownership and exposure....

And now all I can say is ....

(Sigh.)

There will be nothing left of the US Constitution at this rate.

Last edited:

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm discussing this with a co-worker now. He thinks it's a good idea. Good for the economy. No downside.

I'm shocked.

Foley

ever decreasing circles
Registered
Reaction score
LaPierre didn't even get the number of children killed correct. Sad.

Also sad: sales of semi-automatic weapons have increased since Newtown.

acockey

Bronies, Bronies Everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
@Alpha Echo How can you even defend that kind of logic... Perhaps a Swat Team at every school? Teachers with guns?

quickWit

Totally Ninja!
Registered
Reaction score

I make a motion we start a national database of toolbags and put this genius (LaPierre, not Firedrake) right at the top.

JoyceH

Registered
Reaction score
Website
joyceharmon.wordpress.com
Originally Posted by Wayne LaPierre
There exists in this country a callous, corrupt and corrupting shadow industry that sells, and sows, violence against its own people.

Through vicious, violent video games with names like Bulletstorm, Grand Theft Auto, Mortal Kombat and Splatterhouse.

When I read the first sentence, I thought, dang, he's CONFESSING!