Emanuel Church has a donate button on their website, if you'd like to help.

See also the Mother Emanuel Hope Fund

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: NRA Response To Newtown School Shooting

NRA Response To Newtown School Shooting

Wayne LaPierre gave the NRA's official response to the Newtown shooting this morning.

He blamed the media and video games and doubled down on the importance that we all have guns.

Also proposed as a solution to gun violence that we set up a national program that would provide for armed guards for every school in the nation.

Full text here.

This is a sick, sick, man.
    Last edited by rugcat; 12-21-2012 at 10:05 PM.
    Urban Fantasy rules:Play Dead My Website

Hey, if you got to sell guns, you got to sell guns.

practical experience, FTW firedrake's Avatar
    You forgot the real corker.

A National Register of mentally ill people.

That 'press conference' had me frothing at the mouth. Completely out of touch with reality and yet another reason why I hate the NRA.

LAPIERRE: The truth is, that our society is populated by an unknown number of genuine monsters. People that are so deranged, so evil, so possessed by voices and driven by demons, that no sane person can every possibly comprehend them. They walk among us every single day, and does anybody really believe that the next Adam Lanza isnít planning his attack on a school, heís already identified at this very moment?
    My jaw dropped.

I was so hoping that the NRA would...I don't know...be reasonable? Stupid of me.

entrancing songstress lilyWhite's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne LaPierre
    There exists in this country a callous, corrupt and corrupting shadow industry that sells, and sows, violence against its own people.

Through vicious, violent video games with names like Bulletstorm, Grand Theft Auto, Mortal Kombat and Splatterhouse.
    It's always amusing how some people whose beliefs are completely disconnected from reality say that other people are unable to disconnect video games from reality.

And obviously armed guards will prevent school shootings. Like Columbine High School.

Banned
    Outrageous.

And to pay for the armed guards, how about a tax on gun and ammunition sales. Do you think he'd agree to that?

Didn't think so.

"Assume Good Intentions" SuperModerator Williebee's Avatar
    He'd like people to admit the "possibility" that lives could have been saved if there had been armed people in Newtown school.

You betcha. It is absolutely a possibility.

The knee jerk response to that? Wonder how many would have been saved if there had been NO guns in the Newtown school?

The more reasoned question? Would he admit, given the number of accidental gun related injuries each year (see Monkey's recent thread) that there is a greater possibility of more gun related injuries and fatalities in schools across the country if there were more guns in schools? (That's some pretty basic math.)
    Hey, if you got to sell guns, you got to sell guns.
    Yeah, it sounded more, to me, like Mr. LaPierre is using this tragedy to kick off a membership drive.

"There's a Voodoo Game on in the Crescent City. Pray for the Pawns."

"Murder at the Beach" -- Anthony Award Nominated Anthology!

Available now where all kinds of cool books are sold.
    Kobo Kindle Nook iBook
    More stories by Eldon Hughes -- "I Found A Knife"

Read the Newbie Guide.

"We are writers; we own our words. Please choose yours to add light and not just heat."

Represent.
    So much for contributing to a solution.
    NaNoWriMo:
    The Forest of Oblivion 51,077/50,000
    Finished!

A woman said to write like a man. Plot Device's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by firedrake View Post

That 'press conference' had me frothing at the mouth. Completely out of touch with reality and yet another reason why I hate the NRA.

Did LaPierre advicate such a registry?????
    It's NOT the end of steam, it's the end of CHEAP steam.
    http://absolutewrite.com/forums/show...&postcount=757

Be prepared. (Sandy said so.)

I should be writing. Alpha Echo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Plot Device View Post
    I didn't see that. Did I miss it?
    "All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible"
    T.H Lawrence

Pretty much.
    A dozen more killers? A hundred? More? How can we possibly even guess how many, given our nation's refusal to create an active national database of the mentally ill?
    Urban Fantasy rules:Play Dead My Website

My bad. Mea culpa
    This is actually what he said.

"A dozen more killers? A hundred? More? How can we possibly even guess how many, given our nation's refusal to create an active national database of the mentally ill?"

Kinda got the impression that he thinks refusing to create a database is a bad thing.

Represent.
    And then what, after this impossible-to-create and mostly pointless registry created? Because, after all, most mentally ill people aren't actually dangerous to others. And many are not diagnosed, so they wouldn't end up on it anyway.
    NaNoWriMo:
    The Forest of Oblivion 51,077/50,000
    Finished!

You can't sit with us! missesdash's Avatar
    And why even qualifies as "mentally ill"? I don't remember the last time I met a person who didn't claim to have some metal illness/developmental disorder/neurological quirk.

Ridiculous! How can an armed security guard defend a school? You'd need at least three or four on rolling patrols, but even then a determined attack would find a way through. No. The only solution is for the govt. to arm all school children.

(Who was it who had a contract with the US military to trial designs in the children's toy market?)
    Last edited by Foley; 12-22-2012 at 12:14 AM. Reason: ahem!

And having an armed guard at Columbine didn't stop the killers

Quote Originally Posted by missesdash View Post
    And why even qualifies as "mentally ill"? I don't remember the last time I met a person who didn't claim to have some metal illness/developmental disorder/neurological quirk.
    So, so true. Everyone I know has some sort of issue. I have several myself!
    "All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible"
    T.H Lawrence

practical experience, FTW
    Quote Originally Posted by Foley View Post
    Ridiculous! How can an armed security guard defend a school? You'd need at least three or four on rolling patrols, but even then a determined attack would find a way through. No. The only solution is for the govt. to arm all school children.

(Wasn't it the Hasbro toy co. who had a contract with the US military to trial designs in the children's toy market?)
    It's funny he says this because you know the minute they implement such a thing in schools by employing security guards for every school, it'll come down to that the current leaders are 'wasting my taxes' or something. You can never make these kind of people happy.

A woman said to write like a man. Plot Device's Avatar
    firedrake posted this:

And so I asked him:

And then both rugcat and firedrake replied one after the other:

Quote Originally Posted by rugcat View Post
    Pretty much.
    A dozen more killers? A hundred? More? How can we possibly even guess how many, given our nation's refusal to create an active national database of the mentally ill?
    My bad. Mea culpa
    This is actually what he said.

"A dozen more killers? A hundred? More? How can we possibly even guess how many, given our nation's refusal to create an active national database of the mentally ill?"

Kinda got the impression that he thinks refusing to create a database is a bad thing.

So my response is .... Okay then. Sounds to me like LaPierre wants such a database. (Stupid of an idea as it is. He's pitting the Right to Bear Arms against the Right to Privacy. What a way to tear apart the Constitution -- by pitting on Right against another Right and letting both Rights engage in a duel to the death!)

And then I found this online petition that is underway right now.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/975/0...rshipexposure/

Create a national registry of mentally ill people to prevent gun ownership/exposure

Target: Federal Government
    Sponsored by: Matt Quaid

I'm neither a gun opponent, nor advocate, and I do support stricter gun laws on semi-auto weapons. However, it's become clear that mental illness is primarily behind the recent rash of mass-shootings.

My solution is to create a national registry/database designated to mentally ill citizens for the purpose of preventing them gun ownership and exposure....
    And now all I can say is ....

(Sigh.)

There will be nothing left of the US Constitution at this rate.
    Last edited by Plot Device; 12-21-2012 at 10:41 PM.
    It's NOT the end of steam, it's the end of CHEAP steam.
    http://absolutewrite.com/forums/show...&postcount=757

Be prepared. (Sandy said so.)

I'm discussing this with a co-worker now. He thinks it's a good idea. Good for the economy. No downside.

I'm shocked.
    T.H Lawrence

LaPierre didn't even get the number of children killed correct. Sad.

Also sad: sales of semi-automatic weapons have increased since Newtown.

Bronies, Bronies Everywhere acockey's Avatar
    @Alpha Echo How can you even defend that kind of logic... Perhaps a Swat Team at every school? Teachers with guns?

Current WIP: V 33000/50,0000 (Alive Again Yay!!!)

New WIP: Phase-Washed Jeans: 5,000/ 80,000 (Once more into the breach of fantasy)

Check me out over at EliteCosplay.com... handle HandyAnimeAndy

I make a motion we start a national database of toolbags and put this genius (LaPierre, not Firedrake) right at the top.
    Grill me a cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by quickWit View Post
    I make a motion we start a national database of toolbags and put this genius right at the top.
    seconded.

practical experience, FTW
    Originally Posted by Wayne LaPierre
    There exists in this country a callous, corrupt and corrupting shadow industry that sells, and sows, violence against its own people.

Through vicious, violent video games with names like Bulletstorm, Grand Theft Auto, Mortal Kombat and Splatterhouse.
    When I read the first sentence, I thought, dang, he's CONFESSING!
    `````````````````````````````````````````
    A blog, a blog! http://joyceharmon.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast