Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Chrome and HTML

Chrome and HTML

Is there a way on Chrome to get it to not show HTML code, for example, when you go to post a link on a forum and you attach a link to a message and the HTML code is shown wrapped around the link in the message box while typing the message. Or is this just the way it is on Chrome? It's kind of annoying.

Cast Your Eyes On The Ocean,
    Cast Your Soul To The Sea.
    When The Dark Night Seems Endless,
    Please Remember Me.

My Blog. You know you want to.
    My deviantART page. I draw and photograph, too.

The Crazy Man in the Sun. Feel me. WillSauger's Avatar
    I'm curious about this too.

My desktop shows the code, and my laptop doesn't. Always found it odd.
    Scratch that. Checked it right now and its still showing code. Isn't there some type of add-on for this?
    Last edited by WillSauger; 12-20-2012 at 07:12 AM.
    Don't Fear Failure.

"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn" -- Alvin Toffler.

"The heights of great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they while their companions slept, were toiling upward in the night" -- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.

Sockpuppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Tepelus View Post
    Is there a way on Chrome to get it to not show HTML code, for example, when you go to post a link on a forum and you attach a link to a message and the HTML code is shown wrapped around the link in the message box while typing the message. Or is this just the way it is on Chrome? It's kind of annoying.
    I'm not sure I understand the question.

When I type the link to Mac's main site below:

http://www.absolutewrite.com

I don't see any HTML code. I don't see the code when I read the post later, either.

But it *has* to convert to HTML at some point in order to become a valid hyperlink for a browser to follow.

But, again, I don't think I understand the question.

Cultus Gopherus MacAllister SuperModerator Medievalist's Avatar
    I think there are a couple of things going on here.

1. Do you see this on AW forums?

AW uses BB Code. It is not html, though it is a kind of mark up, that is, tags are used to identify text strings in terms of what kind of data they describe; vBulletin interprets this code, and then sends a translation of it to the user/member/reader/s browser.

2. If by "code" you mean something that looks like this for a link:

[URL="http://www.absolutewrite.com"]Absolute Write's Top Page[/URL]

Which once you post looks like this:

Absolute Write's Top Page

That's a feature, not a bug, and the software for the forum (this one or another) is designed to show the tags deliberately.

AW Admin
    About.Me
    AWers On Twitter
    Lisa L. Spangenberg
    My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?

crazy mean SuperModerator Old Hack's Avatar
    When I use Chrome I see the tags, just as Lisa has described.

When I use Firefox, I only see the {quote} and {/quote} tags, which is generally helpful. But if I add a link to a post, then I don't see the tags in the dialogue box: it looks just as it would once the post is made.

I prefer using Firefox when I'm on AW for this reason alone: seeing all the tags is intrusive and distracting, and makes reviewing my comments here much more difficult for me.

Medievalist, what I'm talking about is number two.

And what I see is how Old Hack describes. So I guess it must be a Chrome thing and there's nothing to change it. I guess every browser has its pluses and minuses. I like Chrome because it's faster than Mozilla and I can get onto websites that Mozilla doesn't like, but there are kinks that I dislike, like the showing of tags in a message box when you create a link. Thanks for taking the time in your responses. At least I'm not the only one it happens to.

Please Remember Me.

Tepelus and Old Hack are you both on Windows?

I don't see the behavior Old Hack describes in any browser on Mac OS X (Safari, Firefox, Chrome, or Opera).

I generally use Chrome.

AW Admin
    About.Me
    AWers On Twitter
    Lisa L. Spangenberg

I'm on Windows 8 and Windows 7, and that's how it works for me on both.

Something I do like about Chrome is how it adds a little pullable corner to the dialogue boxes here, so I can resize them easily. That option isn't there with Firefox or IE.

Tepelus and Old Hack, which vBulletin edit option are you using?

1. Go to your User CP
    2. Click Edit Options on the left
    3. Scroll down to the bottom where it says Miscellaneous Options
    4. Under Message Editor Options, which setting are you using?

AW Admin
    About.Me
    AWers On Twitter
    Lisa L. Spangenberg

Medievalist, what I'm talking about is number two.

And what I see is how Old Hack describes. So I guess it must be a Chrome thing and there's nothing to change it. I guess every browser has its pluses and minuses. I like Chrome because it's faster than Mozilla and I can get onto websites that Mozilla doesn't like, but there are kinks that I dislike, like the showing of tags in a message box when you create a link. Thanks for taking the time in your responses. At least I'm not the only one it happens to.

I use Chrome on Windows. I do not see the BBcode unless quoted on purpose or broken.
    Tirjasdyn
    http://michellejnorton.com
    http://denverfictionwriters.com
    Web Designer, Writer

I used to be amused by Utopians. With life experience, I have grown to fear them. The great failing of Utopians is that they can never accept that someone else might not want to
    be a part of their utopian vision. Like ill-mannered tourists, they assume that if you don't agree with them, it must be because they're not explaining it simply enough, or often enough, or loudly enough, or ultimately, because you're stupid. Utopians always think achieving Utopia is simply a matter of education—and then re-education—and then coercion, legislation, litigation medication conditioning threats book-burnings eugenics surgical modifications hunting down the counter-revolutionaries killing the reactionaries genetic engineering—and ultimately all Utopians, no matter how nobly they begin, always end up at the same conclusion: that the only thing that keeps Man from building a secular heaven here on Earth is the nature of Man, therefore we must build a New and Better Man.

--The Ranting Room

Insurance is a bet that only the insurance company can win.

Medi, when I go to where you asked, under the Message Editor Interface options I'm using "Enhanced Interface - Full WYSIWYG Editing". Is that what you needed to know?

That's the setting I have too, and I'm on Windows 7.

Please Remember Me.

Is this a chrome problem?