"American Guns" canceled

ladyleeona

fluently sarcastic grandma offender
Registered
Reaction score
Ah yes. Let's cancel the show with 'guns' in the title, but continue airing the one called Amish Mafia.

And if by 'public opinion' you mean '...hundreds of Facebook users', then yeah. It can. It's ridiculous, but it happens. Let's censor everything--quick!

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Ah yes. Let's cancel the show with 'guns' in the title, but continue airing the one called Amish Mafia.

And if by 'public opinion' you mean '...hundreds of Facebook users', then yeah. It can. It's ridiculous, but it happens. Let's censor everything--quick!

Meh, it's people openly questioning the romance of the gun. Cervantes lives again.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
Hadn't heard of the show myself, but... another knee-jerk reaction. Watch for more of that.

ladyleeona

Registered
Reaction score
Meh, it's people openly questioning the romance of the gun. Cervantes lives again.

And yet Discovery's cover photo on their Facebook page shows a 'mafia' guy holding some sort of sawed-off looking thing with a pistol grip.

Fail.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I'd prefer they canceled Bamazon and Save the Rainforest.

American Guns was boring anyway.

What was it about? I'd never heard of it.

That show about the pawn shop in Las Vegas bugs me when they go shoot the old, strange weapons they get (out in the desert). I know you have to have special licenses and permits, but it still bugs me. They need to show that part, at very least.

I wish they wouldn't show it at all.

-- A Dublin cabbie once told me his favorite show was our reality show about crab fishermen :D I hadn't known they got that one there :) I heard it was good -- no slam on the guy.

ladyleeona

Registered
Reaction score
If you have objections to Amish Mafia, raise it up.

I have. Any show that depicts shooting out someone's windshield as a means of conflict resolution (under the guise of reality) is questionable. That happened on AM when someone didn't pay up on their debt in a timely fashion. Where's the outrage and news coverage there?

I didn't find American Guns to be particularly compelling, but it did stress safety and responsibility. Which is to be expected, IMO, given the company is owned and run by a guy who spent 20+ years in law enforcement.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
What was it about? I'd never heard of it.

I've seen a few bits of it. It's a gunsmith who repairs and builds various kinds of weapons including maybe-military-grade weapons. Like taking an assault rifle (like an M4) and fitting it with a shotgun attachment at the bottom. I think I may have seen them discharge a cannon or two.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
I have. Any show that depicts shooting out someone's windshield as a means of conflict resolution (under the guise of reality) is questionable. That happened on AM when someone didn't pay up on their debt in a timely fashion. Where's the outrage and news coverage there?

It doesn't get broadcasted here so I don't know what the show is. It would seem there are several shows that need to fit itself on the chopping block.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
That show about the pawn shop in Las Vegas bugs me when they go shoot the old, strange weapons they get (out in the desert). I know you have to have special licenses and permits, but it still bugs me. They need to show that part, at very least.

Actually, they don't. They've made this point numerous times on the show: Federal law makes any gun manufactured prior to 1898 an "antique firearm", for which you don't need any special license. They won't accept any weapon of more recent vintage, because they are not gun dealers, and have no licenses for that.

The weapons they do purchase are generally very expensive collector pieces. No one is likely to use one of these for any form of criminal violence or even personal protection, both because of their value and because of their long-obsolete technology. You can go out and buy a Glock 9mm pistol or an AR-15 for much less money than the value of most of these collector guns, and it will be a hell of a lot more effective.

caw

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, they don't. They've made this point numerous times on the show: Federal law makes any gun manufactured prior to 1898 an "antique firearm", for which you don't need any special license. They won't accept any weapon of more recent vintage, because they are not gun dealers, and have no licenses for that.

The weapons they do purchase are generally very expensive collector pieces. No one is likely to use one of these for any form of criminal violence or even personal protection, both because of their value and because of their long-obsolete technology. You can go out and buy a Glock 9mm pistol or an AR-15 for much less money than the value of most of these collector guns, and it will be a hell of a lot more effective.

caw

Good to know, definitely. I assumed it must have been a permit thing.

Next you'll tell me out far enough out in the desert, there's not even need for a permit to fire them. I'll be shocked and outraged! (I've never, ever even been to the desert ;) ).

It still bugs me that they like showing so many things go boom.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
Next you'll tell me out far enough out in the desert, there's not even need for a permit to fire them. I'll be shocked and outraged! (I've never, ever even been to the desert ;) ).
In Vegas, "taking a ride to the desert" is usually code for "take me to where the hookers are."

Unless you owe someone money, then it's a one way trip...

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I just heard an NPR All Things Considered story telling about many TV show and episode cancellations related to the shooting. The one I recall was a Christmas special in which a reindeer was killed.

Atlantis

Registered
Reaction score
Censoring anything to do with guns/death/killing over this thing is so stupid and wrong. It's really dancing around the real issue of gun control. It's so dumb to blame this on anything other then the truth: the man had access to too many guns. Nah, let's blame it on video games, Kesha, Family Guy, American Dad, reality tv, swearing, Honey Boo Boo, the list goes on.