JanNoWriMo 2013

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, it took a couple of hours, but I basically rewrote that chapter. It's more or less fixed now, and I'm keeping my notes in case I forget a change that will effect later chapters.

Also lost 750 words from the chapter. Whoops.

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
I have school tomorrow. :D I'm excited, but I don't know where my classrooms are! And I have 10 minutes to get from one side of campus to the other, and I don't have a clue where the room is in the building... Good thing I have a nice 3-4 hours before classes so I can look for things. :tongue I got so lost last term, it was terrible...

A bit over halfway done with the first unit of my linguistics class. :) (again, classes don't start until TOMORROW, and the first unit isn't even due to be done until the 26th :tongue Good thing I'm enjoying it. :D)

~Amber~

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I've hatched a plan. Because I was falling so far behind schedule for the 2 WIPs, I decided to work on both at the same time.

So aside from editing that awful chapter in WIP#2, I also did an edit on chapter 1 for WIP#1. That's the one I did a complete edit on last month. But it needed another round of edits, so I figured why not?

Thankfully, editing that chapter took a lot less time than a similar length chapter on the major edit last month, or the major edit on WIP#2 presently. (I did redo where the chapters end on WIP#1, so it was more or less half the length of what chapter 1 was last month.)

So yeah, I've been pretty productive today. :) (I figured I would be, now that mum's gone back to work.)

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
Got some editing done this weekend, yay! I also spent some time making a submission tracker spreadsheet, and having too much fun with Excel formula. I'm still working on getting the logic resolved on an overview sheet, but I'm still hoping I can sort it out and get it to do what I want.

I just finished with the first editing pass on my Nano novel! :partyguy: :snoopy: :yessmiley

Congratulations! :)

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so this morning I went to go find the room in the building across campus. I entered the building, circled it a few times, and gave up and asked the lady at the desk where the room was.

When she told me, I felt like an idiot because:

1.) There were TWO doors to the same room.
2.) I passed by both doors TWICE while I was circling.
3.) I stopped and read the room number labels by both doors while I was circling.
4.) And to top it all off, I've been in that room before.

So, yeah. Oops. :Headbang:

~Amber~

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
LOL, that's funny Vamp. I have no compunctions about asking for directions. Hell, I'll even ask people who obviously look lost themselves where I need to be. :D

Last semester, I was in a corridor of a building. I'd scoured out around the courtyard, and now inside the building, and couldn't find what I was looking for. So I asked someone. She didn't know exactly where the room was, but helpfully noted, "There's a 0 in front of the room number, so it'll be downstairs."

I hadn't even realised there *was* a downstairs!

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
It was funny, after I got over the headbanging. :D Right before class, there were some people taking it who were in my class with the same professor last term who couldn't find the classroom, and I got to pretend I was all smart and knew exactly where it was the whole time when they asked for help. :tongue

~Amber~

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
LOL, I did a similar thing. While waiting for class to start outside of that downstairs room, someone came up to me asking if I knew where X room was.

"It has a 1 in front of it, so it must be upstairs." :D

In other news, I just edited another chapter on WIP#2. Thankfully it was a shorter one. I still added 300 words to it, along with rewriting sections. But it took about 1.5 hours total, including read-throughs, which is an improvement.

Taking a break now, then going to edit a chapter on WIP#1.

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
I just found this thread! Looks like most people are using Jan as the siting month, but I missed NaNo, so I'm trying for 50k-60k this month on my YA contemp/romance. I'm up to 7k and trying hard to not think about how bad it sucks.

Hope you all are doing well with your edits!

CQuinlan

Registered
Reaction score
Editing may just kill me.

How's everyone else getting on?

Sunwords

Registered
Reaction score
Two new scenes needed for my neary finished WIP - but still will take a lot more editing, adding and rewriting. Fitting things in after nearly finishing is no fun for me.

Sonneillon

Autophobic Misanthrope
Registered
Reaction score
UGH. First sex scene in the novel and I'm thinking about scrapping it altogether. I'm fuzzy about the placement and even though both characters want it and I've been building up to it for approx. 160 pages, I just can't seem to get it to come out. I don't know if it's the context of the scene or problems with characterization or what. Maybe I just can't write anything that looks genuine and affectionate instead of... overwrought and Harlequin Standard.

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
Last night got hijacked by another issue. Hopefully one I resolved *crosses fingers*

I'll be getting home late tonight, but I should be able to get some editing in. I've still made no progress on getting up early :tongue

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
I got up early and got to campus six hours before any of my classes (which I'm going to be doing three times a week anyway, but this was the first time this term, so... :tongue) I bought a doughnut because there are Voodoo Doughnuts on campus on Tuesdays and they are delicious, and I sat in the break room with two of my friends for a while (which I'm still doing). One of them has a billiards class right now though, so he left us and went ALL THE WAY ACROSS THE ROOM for class. My other friend and I saw a billboard that says "Put your best pool art here!" and we had nothing to do, so he drew a couple of dinosaurs playing pool and we put it up there. :D And to think I could be doing something productive right now... :tongue

~Amber~

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
I'll get him to email me a copy and I'll show it here. :tongue We also set it as our billiards friend's background on his laptop, so he'll be in for a surprise when he opens it. :D

~Amber~

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
It's "PE" credit. :tongue They don't exercise much and the teacher is hilarious (from my observations from when Dino Guy was trying to observe his subject in its "natural habitat." :roll:), but it's fun. :)

~Amber~

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Made a token effort to do some research for the NF book I want to write at some point. So far I've found 1 website that looks promising... The article was about 9 pages, and I didn't feel like reading it all straight away, so I've bookmarked it.

Going to do some more soon. :)

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I now have 5 bookmarks for research reading. They're all quite long... It'll be a solid day's reading to get through all of them, maybe.

3 of them are on The Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy website, which is a fabulous resource. I found out about it last year in a philosophy class, and not only is it generally up-to-date and presents the accepted arguments and some alternatives, but it's acceptable to use as a reference in an academic article.

The pages are LONG, but it should give me a good starting point. (If you have an interest in philosophy, that's the place I'd recommend spending some time on. It's free and quite useful, and generally explains any terms that aren't in common usage.)

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
I got the dinosaurs! :D
P010813_11142_zps316b6689.jpg

© 2013 by my friend Ed. :D

~Amber~

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Nice. :D

I just edited a file on my laptop that I had forgotten about till recently: My life plan.

It ranges in number of years from 1, 3, 5, 10, 25, 50. I made it last year, and achieved... None of those things in "1". :tongue I think I was being a bit ambitious.

So I changed it around a bit, and deleted a bunch of things, and it's looking more manageable. My life doesn't look quite so complicated as it had done. :tongue

Seriously, in 1 year (I think "10") I had 3 full-time occupations - teaching at Uni, running my own book store, and writing. Ugh, no. Does not compute.

I don't know how realistic the current list is, but it's more realistic than it had been. (And yes, I know I'm obsessed about the future. I made that list a year ago when I wasn't sure what I wanted to do in 2012, and it just sort of expanded.)

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
I got some editing done last night, yay! Unfortunately, it was while I was babysitting something running on my computer; I got distracted and might have to re-do it tonight :p

I moved last weekend so I haven't gotten any writing done!

Ack. Moving is stresseful. Hope it went well!

I got the dinosaurs! :D

Nice! Thank you for posting it :)