JanNoWriMo 2013

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
Updating this section of the book is going slower than the first part. I know it's because I'm doing content changes that aren't on the paper mark-up (because I didn't think of them until I was done this section of the cut-through), but I'm still finding it annoying.

Oh well, slow progress is still progress.

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
Week started to look overwhelming. :(

Then my only class on Friday got cancelled (sleep!) and one of my essays was postponed until next Monday.

I feel better now. :)

~Amber~

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I actually had a dream (nightmare?) last night about homework. Eek!

In the dream, I was trying to go to my classes, but I could only get the books for 1 of them. Never mind that there were 2 very thick textbooks for it... Ugh. Then there was blind panic about getting the rest of the books, more classes, and then thinking it was odd that all my days started way early, when I knew that at least one day started late.

It should be pointed out that I'm not even at Uni yet. We're still on our break!

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so I edited chapter 14 of TEC. 14 down, 13 to go! So I'm over halfway with the chapters!

But I also noted that I'm at the bottom of page 51, and there are only 90 pages. So I'm well over halfway done when you look at it that way. :)

Added about 150 words... Wasn't sure I'd add anything to this chapter. It's pretty tight. Hooray! It's one of the chapters I pretty much rewrote completely in December. There are very few original lines that survived in this one. So it's good that I still liked it, now that it's all new and stuff. :)

ETA: Those 90 pages are single-spaced though, so it's still about 59k total words. (And rising.) It had been 96 pages in draft one...

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I tend to frequently dream about things that make me mildly nervous... Like, if I dream about being in Italy, I'll soon get bogged down with thoughts about how I'm supposed to get home. "I don't have the money for the airfare! I don't have a passport! Where am I?"

Not exactly nightmares, but just mildly annoying thoughts interrupting what could be good dreams.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
If someone ever makes a pill that lets you control your dreams, they'll be overnight millionaires!

Hmm. I should get on that! Just need a couple of degrees in medicine and technology! Easy peasy! :tongue

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
In other words, you just need more school? :tongue Yep, piece of cake. :D

First day of my new job! We'll see how it goes...

~Amber~

WendyN

8-armed cyborg tree
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck!! Have fun!!

As for me, I'll just be sitting here for the next few hours, deep in edit-land.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to have to try to get some editing done in the next few hours... I have enough cigarettes for the next couple of hours, and then I'm going to try to quit (again). Previous quit attempts have led to being in a foul mood, but I currently have 10 days without any family interaction, so if I get pissy today and tomorrow, there's noone here to have to apologise to later. :tongue

ETA: I find I can't do ANYTHING when I'm craving cigarettes, aside from watch a DVD or read. So yeah... edit early, be a mad-craving-slackarse-bitch later.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Edited chapter 15 of 27, adding 100 words, bringing me to page 55 of 90.

I wound up changing Dr. to Doctor more than I changed actual sentences... The first draft was all over the place... Dr. Doctor, doctor, doc, Doc... And even in December's edits, it was still all over the place, because I wasn't sure how I wanted it to look. I wound up using Dr., which of course I've been changing in this edit.

Need to stop second-guessing myself, but at least now it's all uniformly "Doctor" when mentioned with his name, and "doctor" when talking about him without mentioning the name. Phew! He's only in 2 scenes in the entire novel, but damn, it was annoying.

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. :) First day went really well. Very happy with my job (a VERY good thing!).

My asshole of a friend told me he'd give me a ride to school on Thursday if I gave him some gas money and bought him one of the doughnuts I usually get on Tuesdays (they're only on campus once a week, and they're $1.50 each, but they're SO worth it). So, I bought a doughnut for myself and a doughnut for him. But apparently I bought his for nothing because he never came to get it. So, I'm going to eat it. And I'm not buying him another one. He missed his chance. :tongue

SM, I know how you feel about the school work. I've been nearly drowning in mine all week. :gaah Nearly everyone in my house has been sick, so I've been drinking a lot of tea and trying to stay as far away from them as possible (the latter of which also benefits my school work ;))

Have a presentation to give tomorrow, essay due on Thursday, readings for both days... And very little time to do any of it... Bleh. (It was my fault, though... I didn't check my calendar before signing up for my presentation date like I should have.)

~Amber~

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
SM, I know how you feel about the school work. I've been nearly drowning in mine all week. :gaah Nearly everyone in my house has been sick, so I've been drinking a lot of tea and trying to stay as far away from them as possible (the latter of which also benefits my school work ;))

Glad work went well, and I hope your presentation goes well too.

And thanks. Hopefully, I'll start feeling better soon. Ugh.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Edited chapter 16 of 27. Added 100 words or so. I'm really quite happy with the edits I did in December - the last few chapters, I haven't had to change much of anything. So either I improved it as much as I thought I did, or I'm too close to see how to improve it further.

Up to page 59 of 90. 2/3 through!

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Edited chapter 17/27, adding 100 words, coming to page 62/91. (Yes, I've managed to add half a page without realising it... MS Word for some reason no longer tells me how many pages there are in the bottom-left corner, which might be because of Windows 8, so yeah, I've been up to page 91 for probably a few days.)

It was only a short chapter, and there was something I needed to change, which had so far survived since the first draft. Namely, a minor plot hole...

My characters had scried out for locations of magic in the city, and then visited all the towers to mark out what was where. That bit was all fine, except that I realised that when they marked down which towers had the magic stuff happening, the tower they eventually wind up at didn't have magic happening in it yet... Whoops. And it's established in chapter 1 that this tower was unaffected to begin with.

So yeah, I had to fix that a bit... Wasn't too difficult, really.

As far as I know, though, that's the last of the plot issues with the book. Hooray!

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Edited chapter 18/27 of TEC, which turned out be quite a short chapter. Added about 70 words, and I'm now on page 64 of 91.

And as it's the 31st here, I thought I'd recap what I've done this month. :)

Edited about 20 pages of DOW, then stalled. Plotted a little for 2 other books. Wrote a 3k short story and have edited it 4 times already. And edited 64 pages on TEC. Read 1.5 books, and am partway into another.

So yeah, not too bad. Not as productive as December by any means, but it's still good.

9 chapters left to edit on TEC in February, then I can send it out and edit something else. Going to see about writing some fresh words on something soon, too.

ShadowFox

Registered
Reaction score
50,600 words finished this month. Hope to write about the same next month.

WendyN

8-armed cyborg tree
Registered
Reaction score
The big edit of Part II is done, which accomplishes my January goal. For February, I want to work through Part III -- my largest chunk, that's over half my novel. And then... I guess we'll see where to go from there.

When I have a few minutes to spare, I've been working on a couple version of my query -- ugggggggh. I'm having a bit of hard time getting the necessary information in without making it seem like a giant infodump. Plus, there's the fact that I have two pretty major "reveals" at the halfway and 3/4-way points, and I'm still having trouble deciding how much of those to reveal at this stage.

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
We had a weather shift here last night (welcome, because it was really freaking cold and is now getting warmer), so my head tried to kill me. I wound up going to bed early, which worked out well as I had to wake up early, but I got nothing done.

Bah!