JanNoWriMo 2013

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
Hope you all are doing well. Or at least better than I am. My draft is not being drafted as I'd hoped. NaNo style isn't working for it, or perhaps I'm allowing myself to stray from my goal by retooling already written bits to better suit the changes in plot that are happening in my brain since I started it. I'm making myself happy by saying that perhaps retooling now means fewer revisions later. It feels odd, since my norm is to binge-write the first draft.

Go, Cliff Face, go! That wall of the "Argh" moment sucks.

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
Cliff, it's an office assistant position with the university's Community Service Center. So, office work. :tongue

~Amber~

WendyN

8-armed cyborg tree
Registered
Reaction score
More edits last night... I started re-reading stuff I had already edited this time around, so only got through one additional chapter. It's slow, but I feel like I'm making progress, at least.

I am becoming more concerned that I'm not EVER going to get to a place where I feel it's revised enough. I can spend hours on a chapter, feel like it's great, then look at it the next day and see more things to fix... and the same thing happens all over again the next day. The prologue and chapter one have each been revised about a dozen times, whereas I've barely re-read any of the chapters in part three. Oy.

Aj Johnson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
aj-johnson216.blogspot.com
Now that Jan. is almost over I hope everyone did well with their goals. For me Jan. has been a recovery month...the end of 2012 was a very stressful for me, with moving out on my own with my fiancee, and the holidays. So I'm trying not to be so hard on myself because I truly think 2013 has a lot instore for me. So Jan. Recovery for me. Next month is where I'm hoping to shift gears and get this year rolling. :)

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, working on campus? Awesome. :)

I think working at a higher education place, doing whatever, would still be better than most jobs in the real world. :tongue

I don't have much for transportation options, so something I can walk to from class is good. :tongue

And I get to fill up several of those hours in the morning where I sit in the billiards room and surf the internet for, oh, I don't know, about five hours or so... ;) Now I can do something productive!

~Amber~

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Edited chapter 13, adding about 400 words. That's the most words I've added to a single chapter in this pass, and last pass I kept deleting words. I guess I was "feelin' it" today?

13 down, 14 to go. It would be nearly halfway, but according to my page count, I'm just *over* halfway through. I've had some longer chapters recently, and must have shorter chapters later.

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
I don't even know how to play. :D I just sit in there because... Reasons...

I have two tests tomorrow... ._. Study time... Goodbye, internet, I will see you tomorrow, hopefully AFTER my tests, and then you can distract me all you wish...

~Amber~

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Cliff. :)

I was SUPPOSED to learn the names and dates of the nine most recent Japanese historical periods, and the day of the test I still don't know them...... I spent the last hour writing them out fifteen times each and then chronologically over and over and over and over and over... And I memorized them all. In an hour. As someone who isn't particularly good with historical dates, I'm kind of wondering what the fuck just happened...

But if any questions come up about the dates of the periods, I can get them right now. :D

~Amber~

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
Got a bit of work in last night, though not as much as I pulled off last week :( I've got a bit of a busy weekend ahead of me, so that'll probably be the case until next week.

Oh well. At least a little progress is still moving forward :tongue

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
Pretty sure memorizing the dates boosted me half a letter grade. :tongue I feel good about that test. One down, one to go.

~Amber~

WendyN

8-armed cyborg tree
Registered
Reaction score
~Amber~ - I always HATED memorizing dates for history classes. I'd only ever retain the information until I took the test, and then it was lost forever. Historical dates I actually remember... um...
1492 - Columbus
1912 - Titanic

... and that's pretty much it. I'm pretty sure I have mild form of dyscalculia so trying to memorize dates was always torture for me.
------

Worked my way through Part II Ch 4 (roughly 15k done, 48k to go on this pass-through). Powering through; I'll be glad to get done with this draft... the goal is to have at least Part II done by the end of the month.

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
I normally hate it too. :tongue But I think I've gotten the hang of these. :D

History was my favorite class in high school. It was also my worst. Luckily, with my history teacher handing me so many books to read I realized that the best way for me to learn about history is through literature, and I'm enjoying it now. :)

~Amber~

Last edited:

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I could never remember dates either. Or names of historical persons. Or locations of battles.

Yeah, I sucked at history. :tongue

I still have a hard time remembering facts... Theories I don't seem to have much problem with, but nitty-gritty facts? Forget about it!

Just another indication that my mind is purely theoretical, and as such can't be counted on for much of anything. ;)

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
:tongue We all have a weakness somewhere...

Aced the second test too. :D I'm on a roll today. I almost wish I had another one so I could ace it too (but that involves work, and I'm lazy ;))

~Amber~

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Hooray for writing and acing tests!

I spent 11 hours with family, and did no editing today. Hopefully we don't do anything tomorrow (Sunday). I'm way zonked. I need to go to bed, but I had to come on AW for a while to wipe my head of "Family Cliff" and start being "Creative Cliff" again, or else I'll have trouble sleeping.

That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

ShadowFox

Registered
Reaction score
The snows melting! Yay!

I formatted and submitted two new stories this week for write 1 sub 1, wrote a couple of erotica stories too, did not work on novel.

Am up to 34 short stories in the mail.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Managed to bump my editing total from 86 pages to 112. Progress, finally! I just hope I can keep this up.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Finished reading Good Omens yesterday, and have read 2 chapters of a new book this morning. (By an AWer, actually.) Waiting to go do grocery shopping, but then after that, I need to do some editing. Assuming we don't go back to the grandparents' place today...

I'm not reading as fast as I was in December, though. I read 7 books in December, and have read 1.5 in January so far. Ack! That half a book took 3 weeks, though, which was the main problem.