Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Care to explain?

practical experience, FTW kelliewallace's Avatar

Care to explain?

I recently finished my first urban fantasy novel and I was trying to reach 50,000 words to submit to a publisher I like.
    On Microsoft word it says my word count is 48,200 words, yet on Open office it's 50,200. How does that make sense? It's the same book, same everything. Where is 2000 words?

One is likely counting contractions as one word, while the other is counting them as two. Go with the count in Word, as it's the more standard measure.

practical experience, FTW SianaBlackwood's Avatar
    Depending on the version of OpenOffice, you may also have run into the infamous issue with the curly quotes/smart quotes counting as words. If you prefer writing in OpenOffice over Word, I'd advise upgrading to the current version of LibreOffice. Testing during last NaNoWriMo suggested that the bug had been squashed somewhere around LO 3.5 and I think it was squashed in Apache OpenOffice at about the same version number.
    SIGNATURE OF DEATH!!!

It's pretty good at killing any WIP I list here, but I'm working on trying to revive my blog.

Formerly Phantom of Krankor. AW Moderator Torgo's Avatar
    I think Word will also ignore text footnotes and endnotes (which might get you 2000 words if you are, say, Terry Pratchett or Jonathan Stroud) and headers and footers (which you probably do want to ignore.)