red poppies in a field

Remember

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Page Publishing

Frankensteinian patchwork Jrubas's Avatar
    Just had a Facebook friend announce on her page that her book is coming out through Page. Thanks to your wonderful research, I was able to message her and warn her away. I don't know if she plans on taking my advice, but I hope to hell she does. If you're reading this, girl, remember what I said: NO legitimate publisher charges authors for their services. Even most illegitimate publishers don't charge their authors.

Frankensteinian patchwork Jrubas's Avatar
    She says she's passing. Thank God. Those lunatics were going to charge her three hundred dollars a month for ten months.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    I wish to thank all of you for saving me from Page. I have spoke with an "agent" there, (probably a salesman) for over a year and a half. I have asked pertinent questions...Do you and--How much do you charge? Are you a vanity press? And never gotten a straight answer. AW has made this all quite clear.

Resident Curmudgeon Requiescat In Pace ResearchGuy's Avatar
    Ick. Their video is enough to tell anyone who has any understanding of publishing and of vanity publishing to run screaming the other direction. Too many people just have no idea, unfortunately, and do not understand that appeals to authors = WARNING FLAG.

--Ken
    [URL="http://www.umbachconsulting.com/KenCV.htm"][FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][COLOR=royalblue]ResearchGuy[/COLOR][/FONT][/URL]
    [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][/FONT]
    [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][I][URL="http://www.umbachconsulting.com/pursuit.pdf"]The Pursuit of Publishing: An Unvarnished Guide for the Perplexed[/URL][/I]

[/FONT][URL="http://www.amazon.com/Theres-Street-Colorful-Origins-Sparks/dp/1937123073/"][FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][I]There's No Lake on Lake Street![/I] by James D. Umbach[/FONT][/URL]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

*lurk*
    They're apparently making enough money to show their commercial at 10PM instead of the wee hours of the morning. Watched it, thought "boy, that sounds like vanity", came here, and lo and behold
    Twitter: @tiakall

practical experience, FTW VEHust's Avatar
    Just saw this in TV for the first time. It's unconscionable that these people offer their services as an actual publisher instead of a vanity. It feels like they're trying to prey on the elderly.

KaCHING. Yes, elderly writers are some of the easiest remaining targets for vanity publishing, whether outright or stealth.

M/M/M contemporary erotic romance novella out now from NineStar Press!

Blog: Blue Night(blog back up, mwhahaha!)
    My art and jewelry online at SaatchiArt.
    My collected Filigree's Rule posts for would-be writers (learn from my mistakes!)

And on their TV commercials they STRESS Christian publisher, Christian writers... what's new The commercials are run during the day on the reality channels, like TLC and A&E more recently.
    The elderly are always prime targets for stuff like this but so too are the poor and disabled, on a pension or welfare. They have visions of making a fortune as a writer and will forfeit their rent and food money for a chance at it. It's despicable.
    The ad also stresses how impossible it is to get published, same old crap!

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Mel101's Avatar
    Just a heads up: an acquaintance of mine was approached by this company and was told PP was a "hybrid" publisher. The new friend isn't interested in doing all the leg work required for self-pubbing, so sees this as an alternative. I don't know them well enough to know if they'd react poorly to the news that it's a scam. They did ask for a looksie around the internet before they signed the contract. For whatever reason, from what they researched, they truly believe PP is a "hybrid". It's nothing but a scam, though.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234