Another Boys and YA Thread

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
It is a trend to make books look like paranormal set in the present day, even when they're not. Books either get the modern girl close-up or the symbol-on-black treatment, regardless of actual content and setting.

I get the marketing angle, in that paranormal is big, so they're hoping to draw in those readers. But in doing so, they do make it less likely that someone who already likes the other genre will pick it up. This isn't likely to be an issue for Anne McCaffrey, as a science fiction reader will know her name, but it'd be disastrous for a new author.

The_Ink_Goddess

we're gonna make it out of the fire
Registered
Reaction score
also LIAR by Justine Larbalestier: the ARC apparently had a white girl on the cover. A lot is made of the MC being biracial. The ARC readers were so pissed that it was changed to reflect her skin as brown.

Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
I'm perfectly happy to have the discussion widen to include other issues of covers, genre, and marketing.

But I would rather this didn't turn into another thread on white-washing. The LIAR thing happened quite a while ago, and has been discussed to death here.

Polenth, that is the kind of thing I was wondering about. Whether or not it's Anne McCaffrey, I'd still be concerned about turning off readers.

ThatKnight64

D.R. Grant
Registered
Reaction score
To be honest I love the Tower & The Hive books, one of my favorite series but I've always though the covers were bleh. The old ones and the new ones. The stars in the new ones are more 'sparkly' than space like and even the old ones didn't really cover the scifi elements of the story.

The Talent series (Prequel Series) had much cooler covers that were more identifiable as scifi.

A good cover can often be the divide between someone picking up a book or putting it back down so it feels kind of haphazard that the cover 'remakes' were just sparkly close ups of the original character covers.
:Shrug: That's just my opinion though.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
To be honest I love the Tower & The Hive books, one of my favorite series but I've always though the covers were bleh. The old ones and the new ones. The stars in the new ones are more 'sparkly' than space like and even the old ones didn't really cover the scifi elements of the story.

The Talent series (Prequel Series) had much cooler covers that were more identifiable as scifi.

A good cover can often be the divide between someone picking up a book or putting it back down so it feels kind of haphazard that the cover 'remakes' were just sparkly close ups of the original character covers.
:Shrug: That's just my opinion though.

I side with the old covers just for the lack of sparkly-ness, really.

KSavoie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
undergradtoauthor.blogspot.com
After spending some time at my local B&N, I have noticed a majority of YA readers are girls, along with my best friend who is an avid YA reader. I have talked to my best friend and she has told me that because she read one book with a cover similar to those depicted in the OP's post, and she enjoyed those books, she tended to gravitate towards books with similar covers in hopes that they would also be good. I guess maybe that's just a my best friend thing, but who knows!

Reaction score
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
After spending some time at my local B&N, I have noticed a majority of YA readers are girls, along with my best friend who is an avid YA reader. I have talked to my best friend and she has told me that because she read one book with a cover similar to those depicted in the OP's post, and she enjoyed those books, she tended to gravitate towards books with similar covers in hopes that they would also be good. I guess maybe that's just a my best friend thing, but who knows!

No, it's an interesting observation. That is technically how marketing works.

ThatKnight64

D.R. Grant
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, the majority of YA readers are girls so I guess it's reasonable that they aim for a female audience.