When at what point does a screenplay morph into a novel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's a very, very, vague and brief synopsis.

What 'incredible feats' is he performing? What is prompting him to carry these out, and how do they gell with a 'lashing out'?

If he is invulnerable and can soar across solar systems in seconds, of what significance is earth, and why?

Who was Richard Bertram (apart from the ones you can google) before he 'woke up' and from what did he awake? Superman? I did think he may be JC but old flame, Beth threw me out of that one.

You are withholding basic information upon which the entire tale rests.

This thread is maybe starting to look as though it is morhping into one that belongs in another Forum and might require 50 posts.

Last edited:

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Just sayin', if you're looking for feedback and ideas to improve your story, Brainstorming Sandbox forum is this way, password = vista

If not, ignore me. :)

-Derek

max929

Fear is a only a barrier
Registered
Reaction score
That's a very, very, vague and brief synopsis.

What 'incredible feats' is he performing? What is prompting him to carry these out, and how do they gell with a 'lashing out'?

If he is invulnerable and can soar across solar systems in seconds, of what significance is earth, and why?

Who was Richard Bertram (apart from the ones you can google) before he 'woke up' and from what did he awake? Superman? I did think he may be JC but old flame, Beth threw me out of that one.

You are withholding basic information upon which the entire tale rests.

This thread is maybe starting to look as though it is morhping into one that belongs in another Forum and might require 50 posts.

That was done intentionally, being that it isn't written there is no way to protect my work/idea. This thread was intended to gauge whether I should attempt to convert my concept into a novel. after a lot of feedback from this thread, I have a much better idea of how I want to proceed and the contrast between script v. novel writing.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
max929 - the first thing you need to do is let go of the idea of "protecting" your idea, or indeed the idea that anyone will try to steal it. Your ideas are not what will get this novel or screenplay sold. It's your execution of those.

max929

Fear is a only a barrier
Registered
Reaction score
max929 - the first thing you need to do is let go of the idea of "protecting" your idea, or indeed the idea that anyone will try to steal it. Your ideas are not what will get this novel or screenplay sold. It's your execution of those.

I didn't intend to upset anyone w/that indication, I grew up in a place where nothing was scared and I am aware that it is a tell of a new writer when they think people are out to steal their ideas...it just comes second nature, so I apologize to anyone I may have offended.

It is the execution that concerns me, I am new to this game and I really believe I can succeed but I need to get the techniques right. I am self taught via reading pre-production screenplays as well those listed on IMDB. I truly believe that this could be the next epic, I just need to nail the script and/or novel

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I didn't intend to upset anyone w/that indication, I grew up in a place where nothing was scared and I am aware that it is a tell of a new writer when they think people are out to steal their ideas...it just comes second nature, so I apologize to anyone I may have offended.

No offence taken - but we'll be able to help much better if you're open and honest with us. :)

I'd second dpaterso's suggestion to head over to the Brainstorming Sandbox - it sounds like you could do with some sounding boards to bounce ideas off.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am not at all sure that barnstorming this idea is going to be of any help at all.

You abandoned the idea of writing a screenplay very quickly and if it's screenplay writing technique you seek, tossing epic fantasy story ideas around doesn't help technique either in screenplay or novel writing.

Have you browsed the main Script, Stage, and Screen Forum, or the Screenwriting sub-Forum in the Share-Your-Work Forum?

There are some excellent general threads and specific critiques of folks' work-in-progress submissions in these areas. There's also similar threads on Fantasy relative to writing novels.

This is a huge site. Good luck. :Hug2:

Last edited:

max929

Fear is a only a barrier
Registered
Reaction score
I am not at all sure that barnstorming this idea is going to be of any help at all.

You abandoned the idea of writing a screenplay very quickly and if it's screenplay writing technique you seek, tossing epic fantasy story ideas around doesn't help technique either in screenplay or novel writing.

Have you browsed the main Script, Stage, and Screen Forum, or the Screenwriting sub-Forum in the Share-Your-Work Forum?

There are some excellent general threads and specific critiques of folks' work-in-progress submissions in these areas. There's also similar threads on Fantasy relative to writing novels.

This is a huge site. Good luck. :Hug2:

As soon as I get up to 50 posts I may share what I have so far. I primary issue with writing this story is my experience in writing a fantasy-based screen play..I don't have any. I have been told that I have a good eye for writing dialogue, but this isn't a witty back and forth I'm embarking on. I think this could be an epic story but even a writer as talented as George Lucas can foul-up an epic (what was he thinking writing in Jar Jar Binks??)

Status
Not open for further replies.