Intrafamily adoption UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rachel Udin

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.racheludin.com
What are the actual legal procedures for adoption in the UK? I need reliable sources and links (preferably from a government organization or a .org)

I'm trying to see how likely Harry Potter's adoption to the Dursleys is.

I need stuff such as, if there is home study, if they go over family history, if a will is needed, etc.

Can someone really leave a relative on a doorstep without a will to prove it and legal procedures?

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure there would have to be a home study under most circumstances.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
Private adoption is illegal in the UK. All actions that are taken will be in the best interest of the child. So no, a family that wants the child to live under the stairs is unlikely to be able to adopt.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
But if the child's birth wasn't registered, it could happen. But it would be totally illegal.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
As mentioned, private adoption is illegal in the UK. However, placing the child with familiy is usually considered to be the most desirable option - many children are raised by their grandparents, uncles and aunts or older siblings as a result. In these instances social services will allocate a social worker to meet with the family etc, and usually a home study will be completed and the needs of the child assessed - in some cases staying within the family is not going to be in the child's best interests.

In a case where a child is close to a grandparent or other close relative, or has an older sibling - over 18 - who is able and willing to provide for them and can offer the care they need, then that's preferable to care.

However, in the case of a relative the child doesn't really know, or someone who is unwilling or unable to provide the care needed, the child is not going to be placed with them and instead will go into foster care and, possibly, eventually be adopted.

That said, the rate of adoption in the UK is pitiful when compared to the number of children in care, and the older a child is, the more likely it is to remain in care until adulthood.

Status
Not open for further replies.