Afghanistan Explosion - 10 Children Dead

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
This is going to go down as one of the most horrible months for news, and once more it is innocent children who are affected by the actions of adults. Ten girls, this time.

I keep hoping that there's going to be something which is a little less depressing reported, but this is not the time to turn to news channels.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Land mines are nasty, nasty business. Too easily laid down, and too easily forgotten until things hit the point they can no longer be ignored.

And on top of the tragedy in the article, they mention that 700,000 have been cleared already. 700,000 and there was still at least one more hiding underground.

Hopefully the two little girls who survived will recover from their injuries quickly.

ladyleeona

fluently sarcastic grandma offender
Registered
Reaction score
It's horrifying to think that many mines have been removed and this atrocity still happened. And will probably continue to happen. :(

Makes my heart really, really heavy.

muravyets

Old revolutionary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Ditto, Zoombie. They seem so small by comparison to, say, nukes or chemical weapons, but they do far, far more damage and create far, far more suffering just by their sheer numbers lurking underfoot. Evil-minded weapon.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
I keep saying I'm going to stop posting in P&CE until a time when I can type without feeling as if my chest is going to implode, but here I go again...

Evil-minded weapon.

No. They aren't minded at all. They are one of the stupidest weapons imaginable, and when they aren't killing, they are inflicting terrible injuries. They don't care who gets caught in the blast, and their presence in the world makes it a much darker place.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Land mines are fucking evil little bastards.
What Zoombie said. With an added proviso. So are the people who plant them and don't dispose of them or leave maps. They almost always seem to kill kids.

muravyets

Old revolutionary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I keep saying I'm going to stop posting in P&CE until a time when I can type without feeling as if my chest is going to implode, but here I go again...

No. They aren't minded at all. They are one of the stupidest weapons imaginable, and when they aren't killing, they are inflicting terrible injuries. They don't care who gets caught in the blast, and their presence in the world makes it a much darker place.
Well, yeah, the weapons are stupid, but it was evil-mindedness that created them. That's what I meant. It takes a particular kind of maliciousness to decide something that random and passively dangerous is the way to go. I mean, how can such a thing be motivated by anything but blind hatred, except maybe absolute lack of ability to care. Either way, I say pure malice is at the root of the whole idea of land mines.

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
Even leaving maps doesn't help - mines can dislodge in seasonal flooding and float hundreds of yards (or more) away from where they were planted. Armies know where they are. Civilians don't. IMO, anyone who goes merrily strewing them across the countryside is committing an atrocity.

May those poor girls rest in peace. :(