Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
This is filk (folk song or pop music melodies with sf&f parody lyrics).

It's full of affectionate mockery that will really only make sense if someone has read a lot of space opera. It is a sad commentary on my reading life that I get most of the jokes.

As a template, it is probably more on the side of dead wrong than useful, unless you earnestly try not to make the mistakes cited within the song.

Think of this gem as to space opera what Tough Guide to Fantasyland was to fantasy, and you're ready to go.

Billycourty

Registered
Reaction score
I read and love space opera and I don't agree. This seems to have been written by someone with a very tired, one dimenional view of SO. Anne Maccffrey (my favorite space operiste) certainly doesn't result to old si/fi tropes like that.

simonalexander2005

Reflectric
Registered
Reaction score
I read and love space opera and I don't agree. This seems to have been written by someone with a very tired, one dimenional view of SO. Anne Maccffrey (my favorite space operiste) certainly doesn't result to old si/fi tropes like that.

No, I agree it's very much a generalisation of Space Opera - and SO's probably developed a lot since 1998 anyway - but I think it's still funny, and maybe even useful in giving a new writer an outline of characters (that need much development on what's provided) when writing a story for the first time? Or certainly as Filigree says - as a warning if nothing else

Status
Not open for further replies.