Hillary Clinton faints, gets concussion...

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
I respect your personal experience with melanoma, but I view it as a little bit scarier. I'm caregiver for my wife, paralyzed by melanoma 15 years ago and given two months to live. Hers was Stage IV, but Stage 2 can become Stage IV if left to its own devices. It is a vicious form of cancer, and at the time, I considered it the biggest drawback to electing McCain.

And I do think there comes a point when age is a consideration, although I didn't think McCain was at that point. After all, he's even younger than I am.
It's nothing to mess with, for sure, AE. I didn't mean to give the impression that Melanoma was a lightweight illness. Far from it. I spotted mine early which was lucky for me. Found early enough, it can be dealt with. It's not always a death sentence. That's what I was trying to get across.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
From what I understand, the docs say Hillary's condition should completely resolve within 6 months to the point that she's no more at risk for clots than anyone else. If that's the case it should be no issue at all should she decide to run.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I think a candidate's health should be a concern. But his (or her) age? How about their sex? or their race? It's just another kind of discrimination, Zoombie.

I think it's a little bit of a reach to compare being worried about age - which...unfortunately has a connection to...dying. I mean, once we've fixed the dying issue (And remember who you're talking too, I think that's a viable thing to have happen in the future) then age related discrimination should be done away with.

Till then...

It's not a HUGE thing, but it is "a thing."

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
From what I understand, the docs say Hillary's condition should completely resolve within 6 months to the point that she's no more at risk for clots than anyone else. If that's the case it should be no issue at all should she decide to run.

You're right. But it still would be.

Not for me. I want her to run. But...it would be a huge issue, I think.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's a little bit of a reach to compare being worried about age - which...unfortunately has a connection to...dying. I mean, once we've fixed the dying issue (And remember who you're talking too, I think that's a viable thing to have happen in the future) then age related discrimination should be done away with.

Till then...

It's not a HUGE thing, but it is "a thing."
Well then, I'm counting on you to find a way around that whole dying thing. And quickly. Some of us old farts don't have that much time left, you know. ;)

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Human lifespan is longer than ever, and extending at the record rate of about a month per year. Furthermore, that rate of extension is increasing. If you can hold on a few decades, human lifespan will be increasing at the rate of one year every year.

Eat your Wheaties.*

* This is not to be construed as literal literal dietary advice, not that I have anything against Wheaties[sup]TM[/sup]. It's just an observation from someone who came to a realization four years ago that he's older than the President (if McCain or Hillary had won I wouldn't have made this observation). Also, drive safely and fasten your seat belt.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
After thinking about some entertaining vices Sec. Clinton could take up, I finally figured out you meant "Vice Presidential candidate", i.e., running mate.

Oh yeah, that too.

Well then, I'm counting on you to find a way around that whole dying thing. And quickly. Some of us old farts don't have that much time left, you know. ;)

Me too!

zerosystem

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I hope Hilary makes a full recovery and would like to see her run in 2016 (hopefully against Condi Rice). However, I remember back in 08, there were Democrats who criticised Mccain's age, so I wonder what those people, like Matt Damon who predicted Mccain might die in office, would say with Hilary running in 2016.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
I hope Hilary makes a full recovery and would like to see her run in 2016 (hopefully against Condi Rice). However, I remember back in 08, there were Democrats who criticised Mccain's age, so I wonder what those people, like Matt Damon who predicted Mccain might die in office, would say with Hilary running in 2016.

IMO, that depends on her VP pick.

It's true that a president could die in office due to age or illness. They could also be assassinated - something I felt was a realistic concern when Obama was running for his first term. Some say that VP picks don't matter... but as a voter, they matter to me, especially when there is more-than-usual risk of a candidate dying in office.

Honestly, in the McCain/Obama lineup, I felt Obama was more likely to die in office... but the Palin pick scared the bejebus out of me anyway. Just the "what if" scenarios, you know what I mean?

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Honestly, in the McCain/Obama lineup, I felt Obama was more likely to die in office... but the Palin pick scared the bejebus out of me anyway. Just the "what if" scenarios, you know what I mean?

Interesting, my husband thought so too. In fact, he still thinks it would be more surprising if, at the very least an attempt at Obama's life, is taken before he leaves office.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
There have been attempts.

But right around the time he was elected the first time, membership to hate groups soared, as did talk about "second amendment remedies." He still made public appearances, and handled the situation with a bravery that, IMO, bordered on recklessness.

Some of that has simmered down, now, but there's still plenty of fuel for nutjobs.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
For instance:

"His favorite place turns out to be the Truman Balcony. And we go out on the Truman Balcony. He explains to me how he will just come out here at night and sit, and he likes it so much because it's the only place he gets where he feels outside the bubble. And this was one of the spine-tingling moments I had with him. Because while we're talking about how this is the normal place, how he and Michelle can come out and have a drink on the patio at midnight, and no one knows they're there kind of thing, he turns around and he points to the spot — it's right behind his head — where the bullet from the high-powered rifle hit a year ago. ...

"[A gunman] shot down from across the South Lawn, and the bullet hit the window right where Obama sits when he's having his moment of privacy and peace. And I thought, there's the presidency for you. You know, here is the place where you regard as the safe place, the place you can come and be comfortable and be normal, and people are still shooting at you."

http://m.npr.org/story/160898373