Hillary Clinton faints, gets concussion...

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
I believe Clinton will take a year off. Maybe two, but by the latter part of 2014, don't be surprised if those whispers of another run by the Secretary of State/former U.S. Senator/former First Lady become louder and louder...
That sounds plausible. I expect to see the Republican smear machine crank up to full speed on her. (They'll probably recycle all that Commie lesbian murderess bullshit they were spreading in the '90s.)

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
People with actual health issues have been nominated, in the recent past. This weirdness isn't really a health issue, imo. It could've happened to anyone, at any age.

Plus, didn't one of our most beloved Presidents - Don nonwithstanding - have polio?

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
Plus, didn't one of our most beloved Presidents - Don nonwithstanding - have polio?

yes, but it was carefully kept from public view, so it is difficult to speculate as to whether it would have been a significant consideration in the minds of the voting populace had the government and media discussed it openly.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Republicans would be hypocritical as hell if they thought this was a big health problem after running McCain, particularly with his choice of VP!

absitinvidia

A bit of a wallflower
Registered
Reaction score
Republicans would be hypocritical as hell if they thought this was a big health problem after running McCain, particularly with his choice of VP!

Two words: Dick Cheney.

The GOP has no business saying anything about candidates with serious health issues.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
What was McCain's health problem?

Palin.

THANK YOU, I'M HERE ALL WEEK!

But, no, it was really the combination of his age and having a vice like Palin. If he had had a more...less crazy vice president, then McCain would have been a lot more attractive to me.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
clinton in 2016 will be all of 3 years younger than mccain was in his 2008 run.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Seriously? Age is a health problem?

Not that I didn't appreciate the Palin joke.

*waits patiently for attendant to wheel him back to the Old Fart's Thread*

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Seriously? Age is a health problem?

I think it is a somewhat reasonable concern to take when voting a president in. I mean, people live a long time these days but...being the President is a pretty awful job. Just looking at the before/after pictures of Presidents is scary...

But, as I said, it's an easily mitigated concern if you have a good line of succession.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
It was mostly Palin, absolutely.

But he did have stage 2A melanoma, and there is still a gender difference (on average, obviously). That's currently 5 years in the US.

I don't know how people decide 'how healthy' someone is, and it can get into weird territory to discuss. But those were the things that came to mind for me, vaguely. Mostly Palin, though! What a terrible choice for VP.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yes, but it was carefully kept from public view, so it is difficult to speculate as to whether it would have been a significant consideration in the minds of the voting populace had the government and media discussed it openly.

Hillary's health would be an entirely legitimate area of concern and inquiry for the 2016 campaign if she decides to run for the presidency.

Joking about her coming down with "Benghazi flu" are not as legitimate.

My apologies for providing the wrong link (that Jessica Fletcher. What a babe. I must have been thinking about hooking our own Haggis up with her....okay, actually I screwed up)

Here's the correct link:
http://www.addictinginfo.org/2013/0...the-health-problems-of-hillary-clinton-video/

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Hillary's health would be an entirely legitimate area of concern and inquiry for the 2016 campaign if she decides to run for the presidency.

Joking about her coming down with "Benghazi flu" are not as legitimate.

My apologies for providing the wrong link (that Jessica Fletcher. What a babe. I must have been thinking about hooking our own Haggis up with her....okay, actually I screwed up)

Here's the correct link:
http://www.addictinginfo.org/2013/0...the-health-problems-of-hillary-clinton-video/
You promise me Jessica then you pull her back? Life is no longer worth living. :(

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
I think it is a somewhat reasonable concern to take when voting a president in. I mean, people live a long time these days but...being the President is a pretty awful job. Just looking at the before/after pictures of Presidents is scary...

But, as I said, it's an easily mitigated concern if you have a good line of succession.

I think a candidate's health should be a concern. But his (or her) age? How about their sex? or their race? It's just another kind of discrimination, Zoombie.

It was mostly Palin, absolutely.

But he did have stage 2A melanoma, and there is still a gender difference (on average, obviously). That's currently 5 years in the US.

I don't know how people decide 'how healthy' someone is, and it can get into weird territory to discuss. But those were the things that came to mind for me, vaguely. Mostly Palin, though! What a terrible choice for VP.
Stage 2 Melanoma isn't quite as scary as it sounds, and I speak from personal experience. Besides, isn't (wasn't) Obama a smoker? isn't that supposed to kill you too?

Meh. Flat out, a bunch of people didn't want to vote for McCain because they saw him as being old. It had nothing to do with his health. It had everything to do with ageism. I'm not suggesting anybody in this forum falls into this category. I am suggesting quite a few other people do.

And as Haskins pointed out, Hillary will be well into her sixties should she decide to run next time. I hope those who would oppose her then would do so for her politics, not her age.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I believe McCain had cancer more than once and other precancerous lesions or such in various places - he was the nominee I was referring to. I can't even with the dark lord of the mechanical ticker.

I think he was also on some daily med like a blood pressure or cholesterol thing.

If they dare to bring up that a woman spent four years running around the world at an insane pace got a wicked flu, got dehydrated, fainted, hit her head when she did and developed a small blood clot where she banged her head, when they ran a 70-something-year-old MAN with multiple (if I'm not wrong) cancer bouts and some medication related to reducing the likelihood of a cardiac event (hence the man)? Just no.

What happened to her had nothing to do with anything but that she works so much she couldn't be all 'I have the flu, I'll be in bed for a few days.'

AncientEagle

Old kid, no need to be gentle.
Registered
Reaction score
I think a candidate's health should be a concern. But his (or her) age? How about their sex? or their race? It's just another kind of discrimination, Zoombie.

Stage 2 Melanoma isn't quite as scary as it sounds, and I speak from personal experience. Besides, isn't (wasn't) Obama a smoker? isn't that supposed to kill you too?

Meh. Flat out, a bunch of people didn't want to vote for McCain because they saw him as being old. It had nothing to do with his health. It had everything to do with ageism. I'm not suggesting anybody in this forum falls into this category. I am suggesting quite a few other people do.

And as Haskins pointed out, Hillary will be well into her sixties should she decide to run next time. I hope those who would oppose her then would do so for her politics, not her age.
I respect your personal experience with melanoma, but I view it as a little bit scarier. I'm caregiver for my wife, paralyzed by melanoma 15 years ago and given two months to live. Hers was Stage IV, but Stage 2 can become Stage IV if left to its own devices. It is a vicious form of cancer, and at the time, I considered it the biggest drawback to electing McCain.

And I do think there comes a point when age is a consideration, although I didn't think McCain was at that point. After all, he's even younger than I am.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
I believe McCain had cancer more than once and other precancerous lesions or such in various places - he was the nominee I was referring to. I can't even with the dark lord of the mechanical ticker.

I think he was also on some daily med like a blood pressure or cholesterol thing.

If they dare to bring up that a woman spent four years running around the world at an insane pace got a wicked flu, got dehydrated, fainted, hit her head when she did and developed a small blood clot where she banged her head, when they ran a 70-something-year-old MAN with multiple (if I'm not wrong) cancer bouts and some medication related to reducing the likelihood of a cardiac event (hence the man)? Just no.

What happened to her had nothing to do with anything but that she works so much she couldn't be all 'I have the flu, I'll be in bed for a few days.'
Easy, cornflake. We're all friends here.

Well, some of us, anyhow. :D

But for the record, precancerous lesions are just that. PREcancerous. I had one frozen off my forehead a couple months ago. I won't tell you about the ones that used to live in my colon because I don't want to gross you out. And if you think that folks who have to take blood pressure pills or cholesterol pills are disqualified to be President, well, you're gonna have a real problem finding qualified candidates. Lots of folks have to take that kind of medication as they age into their forties and fifties. It doesn't mean you get to call the undertaker just yet.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
She will be 8 1/2 months younger than Reagan was.

But older than William Henry Harrison, so she probably shouldn't give a really long inauguration speech if it's really cold that day.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Easy, cornflake. We're all friends here.

Well, some of us, anyhow. :D

But for the record, precancerous lesions are just that. PREcancerous. I had one frozen off my forehead a couple months ago. I won't tell you about the ones that used to live in my colon because I don't want to gross you out. And if you think that folks who have to take blood pressure pills or cholesterol pills are disqualified to be President, well, you're gonna have a real problem finding qualified candidates. Lots of folks have to take that kind of medication as they age into their forties and fifties. It doesn't mean you get to call the undertaker just yet.

Heh, sorry, wasn't 'just no'ing' anyone here or anything, only a theoretical future GOP who'd try to make this random incident some kind of indictment of her health.

I wouldn't consider blood pressure or cholesterol meds disqualifying by themselves, no. I do think someone's need to take them is a legitimate area of consideration, discussion, whatever, when we're talking about the presidency. I mean yeah, anything can happen. Someone can get shot, get a killer infectious disease, choke on a pretzel, whatever.

However, known chronic or potentially recurring, potentially life-threatening conditions I think are all on the table for anyone seeking that office. A white male around the age he was at the time is statistically decently at risk of a cardiac event. If he's got a known condition that'd up the risk - :Shrug: - I think it's legitimate to ponder.

Same, basically, wrt the lesions. If that'd been all he'd had, that'd be one thing. He had actual cancer at least once though, so the presence of the lesions seems to indicate that there might be a higher predisposition or whatever to developing it again or it recurring or what have you. I don't know, statistically.

My point was that I think these are genuine health issues the public would logically question a candidate about or have concerns over if electing the person. Hence, if the GOP tried to make an issue out of what appears to have been a flukey, one-time thing, it'd be beyond ridiculous imo. :)