Gun Control Compromise

Status
Not open for further replies.

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
So-called "assault rifles" are little more than hunting rifles with cool black outer clothing. In fact, .30-06 and larger deer and elk rifles are much more lethal to humans than .223 "assault rifles."

Unless by "assault rifle" you mean "fully automatic." Those already require serious background checks and licensing, and have only been used once (that I know of) in recent memory for the commission of a crime (few criminals will pay 30K for a gun to rob a bank). Further, if I recall correctly, the one time they were used (the North Hollywood bank robbery) the weapons were illegally converted to full auto.

I understand and appreciate that there are pretty stringent requirements for owning something like an AK-47, I'm just mystified as to why anyone would think they'd need one.

William K Elliott

The voices tell me what to write.
Registered
Reaction score
How about "Police, help, my neighbor's being attacked. Please hurry." followed by name and address to speed response.

And when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Why would you wish to completely abdicate your own ability to defend yourself? Why wait and hope you might live long enough for the police to arrive when you could instead put up deadly resistance?

America is a huge place. It's neigh on impossible for most cops to be less than 5 minutes away from most of the population. Why be at the mercy of that delay?

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
Martin Luther King showed how to successfully battle a democratic government. It's not with guns.

William K Elliott

Registered
Reaction score
I understand and appreciate that there are pretty stringent requirements for owning something like an AK-47, I'm just mystified as to why anyone would think they'd need one.

Why does anyone think they need a 600hp Mercedes, a 7000 square foot house, or more than one computer? Hell, I don't know...

William K Elliott

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah but, I'll bet the 45 has thought about it.

Probably not. I took it apart last night to clean it and install new grips. I didn't see a brain anywhere. A barrel, a trigger, a grip, and a few other parts, but no brain.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score

Why would you wish to completely abdicate your own ability to defend yourself? Why wait and hope you might live long enough for the police to arrive when you could instead put up deadly resistance?

America is a huge place. It's neigh on impossible for most cops to be less than 5 minutes away from most of the population. Why be at the mercy of that delay?

I live in Canada. It's a much bigger country with the police further away than you. Most here don't keep guns for protection unless they are out hiking or hunting animals. I don't keep a gun. My dad gave up his guns once he no longer had coyotes to chase away (he lived on a farm.)

goldmund

---
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blazedzikowski.wordpress.com

The situation you describe actually works against your argument.

If I know it's highly unlikely the man has a gun? I jump at him and try to defend that woman.

If I know he might have a gun... that's where I start having second thoughts.

firedrake

Registered
Reaction score
Why does anyone think they need a 600hp Mercedes, a 7000 square foot house, or more than one computer? Hell, I don't know...

Fashion statement?
My gun is bigger than your gun?

I'm just mystified as to why they should be available to civilians at all, regardless of ticking all the Federal boxes.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
As someone who is a democrat, who has owned a gun, who grew up with guns. I'm 100% on board with limiting certain types of guns. I'm going to borrow this from a user named "Gabrielle Cynique" on Gawker:

I am all for the private ownership of weapons. I fully endorse your right to own a firearm to use for hunting or to protect your home.

But you don't need a semi-automatic to do any of this. You can use a hunting rifle or shotgun.

The magazine on a standard Glock holds 15 plus one in the chamber. And there are much, much bigger magazines available.

When the founders wrote the 2nd Amendment, a musket held precisely ONE ball. And it took 15 seconds to reload a musket with powder, wadding, and ball.

You can empty that 16 round Glock in something less than 2 seconds.

Assume 4 seconds to eject, replace magazine, and rechamber (and I'm being overly cautious).

In 10 minutes, a minuteman could fire 40 shots, working at full speed with great effort, and with a low, low degree of accuracy or stopping power.

In 10 minutes, a gun-wielding lunatic with a Glock can fire 960 rounds.

I see something like this and I get it. I get that we can limit some of this. I also get that people are going to use the "well criminals will still get these guns and use them" argument and raise you a, "some might, but many will not."

I'd be curious to know if any of these shooters were military/ex-military or are/were a part of law enforcement. If not, then there's one place to begin. Perhaps the above mentioned should be the only ones allowed the super big guns. I don't know. I'm just throwing ideas out there.

I also agree with Wendig in that people should be educated when it comes to guns. That said, will education instill respect? I don't know, but it's worth looking into.

I'm down with metal detectors in schools. Unfortunately, we all know how bad funding for education is already. I can't imagine how much this would cost, but again, I don't know.

I have to ask the question of whether or not the "founders" were thinking of the type of weaponry we have today when they wrote their words. Could they have possibly foreseen this? When do we let go of the antiquated and take accountability for modern technology? Where is that line?

Anyway, I appreciate this thread, and I appreciate everyone who is trying (some desperately) to find common ground. My ideas might be shit, but dammit, I'm trying. I hope others continue to do the same.

William K Elliott

Registered
Reaction score
You are a nasty little troll. Thanks for showing your true colors.

I think my snarky comment perfectly fit with the snarky comment I responded to.

By the way, what sort of nasty name should I call you? Or would that mean I was suddenly in the wrong again? :D

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
Nazi Germany had no resemblance to a democracy by the time the Holocaust happened.

goldmund

---
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blazedzikowski.wordpress.com
Fashion statement?

I'm just mystified as to why they should be available to civilians at all, regardless of ticking all the Federal boxes.

I'm mystified as to why someone would brag about his .45 one day after the terrible tragedy. It literally makes me sick to the stomach. Maybe you'll continue and tell us about the hard-on you had while assembling your toy.

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
I think my snarky comment perfectly fit with the snarky comment I responded to.

By the way, what sort of nasty name should I call you? Or would that mean I was suddenly in the wrong again? :D

Fortunately, I won't have to hear what you have to say ever again. Welcome to my ignore list.

firedrake

Registered
Reaction score
I'm mystified as to why someone would brag about his .45 one day after the terrible tragedy. It literally makes me sick to the stomach. Maybe you'll continue and tell us about the hard-on you had while assembling your toy.

Yep, that too.
I guess some people get off on the whole penis/gun thing.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Nazi Germany had no resemblance to a democracy by the time the Holocaust happened.

Also, the Jewish reaction within those who chose to remain in the areas affected were to push guns away from ubiquity.

William K Elliott

Registered
Reaction score
I live in Canada. It's a much bigger country with the police further away than you. Most here don't keep guns for protection unless they are out hiking or hunting animals. I don't keep a gun. My dad gave up his guns once he no longer had coyotes to chase away (he lived on a farm.)

You also don't have the crime problem we do.

Fashion statement?

There are quite a number that are completely off limits. Nothing bigger than .50 caliber (save shotguns), that sort of thing.

But since these aren't used in crime, what's the problem with them?

Then keep the language specific.

Doesn't work. Prosecutes naturally push the envelope on certain high profile cases.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
It is never justified.

Are you saying that if German civilians had weapons they would have stopped NSDAP? Please, go on... it's getting really interesting and revelatory.
They gave it a hell of a try, even though they were poorly armed and supplied. Some even managed to make crude zip guns which they used to kill guards, allowing them to steal the guards' arms for themselves.

Warsaw Ghetto Uprising

It's not much of a stretch to believe that a few thousand FP-45 Liberators dropped into the ghetto could have made a tremendous difference. Unfortunately the OSS preferred to maintain centralized control over the resistance, so the help they sorely needed never arrived.
The pistol had its origins in the US Army Joint Psychological Committee and was designed for the United States Army in 1942... A crude and clumsy weapon, the Liberator was never intended for front line service. It was originally intended as an insurgency weapon to be mass dropped behind enemy lines to resistance fighters in occupied territory. A resistance fighter was to recover the weapon, sneak up on an Axis occupier, kill or incapacitate him, and retrieve his weapons.

Not all history is included in the history books they use in government school.

William K Elliott

Registered
Reaction score

And I'm the troll...

I wasn't bragging. Of course, you probably have difficulty understanding something like that. Most who lack social skills can understand any perspective save their own.

Cops have guns too... should we ban them?

Status
Not open for further replies.