The line between pushy and reasonable

Meems

Registered
Reaction score
For those with agents, what do you think is a reasonable amount of time to wait before sending a polite and professional e-mail to your agent to check on what's happening with a manuscript revision?

Last edited:

Corinne Duyvis

My New Cat Is Too Big for Shoulders
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.corinneduyvis.com
I think it'd depend on the situation. Did your agent give any indication of how long it'd take them? How long has it taken them in the past? Is an editor waiting for the manuscript? All of that would influence the time considered 'reasonable'.

Also, from the sounds of it I'm sure your polite nudge would genuinely be polite, but just in case it's helpful, I tend to frame these nudges as, "Do you have an idea of your time frame for reading? That way I know what to expect and can adapt my schedule accordingly." Like, if I know my agent plans to finish it in two days--time for a TV binge! If it's a week or two, well, I can embark on beta reading and making notes on future ideas. One or two months? Time to write a new draft, or edit an older one.

Meems

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Corinne. That's just the thing. It's a new agent so I have no previous experience to go on. And I don't want to seem high maintenance or needy.

Meems

Registered
Reaction score
I'm comfortable touching base with my agent about every 30 days, as far as learning about any rejections or pertinent comments about the book. Depends a great deal about how communicative your agent is, and what their contact comfort zone is like.

tri

Thanks for the input Tri. I feel like a month is a good time frame too. But as for the comfort zone thing, I'm still feeling it out. He's been fantastic about getting back to me previously though, and within the day, but that was before I was on submission.

Now I'm really second guessing the e-mail. You want so much to be professional but sometimes the agony of not knowing what the heck is happening colors your thought process.