Shooting at Connecticut school

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm waiting for the press conference they're supposed to be broadcasting here soon on CNN. I hope, Jean Marie, that it isn't really that many children. :Hug2:Though one is too many. And the adults shouldn't have died, either.

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score
Wait, CBS is reporting 27 people dead including 14 children? Someone please tell me that's a mistake.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Missesdash, I'm hearing the same thing now. Ohmygod. I may have to turn this off. I want to run to my kids' school right now and grab them up, even though we're nowhere near there.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
CBS News is reporting that 27 people are dead, including 14 students, after a shooting at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown. The gunman is among the dead.

CBS News’ John Miller reports there is preliminary information that the gunman was the father of one of the students. Miller also says that at least a couple dozen people were shot.

The shooter was killed and apparently had two guns, a person with knowledge of the shooting said. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the investigation was still under way. It is not known whether the shooter took his own life or was killed.

http://connecticut.cbslocal.com/2012/12/14/school-shooting-leaves-multiple-injured/

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
I'm waiting for the press conference they're supposed to be broadcasting here soon on CNN. I hope, Jean Marie, that it isn't really that many children. :Hug2:Though one is too many. And the adults shouldn't have died, either.
I can't stop crying and feel like throwing up at the same time. I know some of the volunteers in that town. I just can't imagine what they're going through, and the parents! This is so damned surreal...it's so close to home. It just shouldn't happen, anywhere. Just shouldn't...

Wait, CBS is reporting 27 people dead including 14 children? Someone please tell me that's a mistake.
Local News 12 is reporting it, too. I was talking to a friend of mine. This is unbelievable. I cannot wrap my mind around this at all. I don't want to.

They're saying now, that there are 2 gunmen? I think it's going to take a while to sort it out. One is from New Jersey. They're on their way to his home, now.

18 babies gone. 9 adults.

ScotsGirl

Love Forever
Registered
Reaction score
I just read 18 children dead... I am sick. I know it's crazy b/c I live 3 states away, but I'm going to pick up my 1st grader from school right now. I can't stand the pictures of the kids being led out of school crying, let alone the kids still inside...

I'm going to get my baby, hug him tight, and bake cookies all weekend. Deadlines be damned!

Update: the shooter was 20 years old??? OMG... Wasn't the Oregon mall shooter 22? What is going on?!?!

Last edited:

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
CNN is quoting a parent who was in a meeting at the school and said the seven people in the room heard pops in the hall. Three went out into the hall (the principal, vice principal and school psychologist). The principal and school psychologist didn't come back (as has been discussed, they were killed) and the vice-principal came back in, wounded.

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sick and devastated by this whole thing. I want to run to my kids' school and pick them up! I remember when 9/11 happened (I was a Kindergarten teacher) and the parents were running to the school and taking their children out. It was terribly frightening.

My husband recently wrote his thesis on how vulnerable our schools are to terrorist acts. Especially after this incident: http://rt.com/news/beslan-tragedy-russia-commemorate-195/ It should have been a bigger eye opener here in this country and now this shit. I'm heart-broken. Completely and utterly heart-broken. It was a K-4 school. My kids are in a K-4 school. How? Who? Why? Why? Why? How? Why?

That's it. I'm going to pick them up. I want them in my arms now.

KimJo

Outside the box, with the werewolves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
karennacolcroft.com
The CBS Connecticut link William posted says the shooter was a father of one of the students *and* was 20 years old and from New Jersey. Sounds like one shooter.

But that kind of boggles the mind... a 20-year-old father of an elementary-school student? Certainly possible, but kind of disturbing. At the least, he was 15 when his child was born, if this information is accurate, given that students at the school ranged from about 5-10 years old.

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
This is all just so horrible. :cry: :cry: :cry:

All those babies, and so close to Christmas... I can't even begin to imagine the heartache for those families, and the trauma for the surviving kids.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The CBS Connecticut link William posted says the shooter was a father of one of the students *and* was 20 years old and from New Jersey. Sounds like one shooter.

But that kind of boggles the mind... a 20-year-old father of an elementary-school student? Certainly possible, but kind of disturbing. At the least, he was 15 when his child was born, if this information is accurate, given that students at the school ranged from about 5-10 years old.

Well, from my experience, a lot of elementary schools also run preschools as well. I know the three different schools my kids have (and do) attend have them. So it is possible that their child was younger than 5 and attending a preschool on the premises. But of course, we have no way of knowing that, yet.

ETA: CBS is supposedly reporting there is a suspect in custody. Separate from the one found dead on the scene, I gather.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score

CNN just reported (unconfirmed) that he was 24. And wearing a bulletproof vest and carrying four weapons.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I can't believe this. My heart is broken for these families. WTF? I wish the gunman weren't dead. So we could all get a chance at him.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
You always think your kids are safe at school. They should be, damnit.

cameomac

Geek girl since 1977
Registered
Reaction score
Hearing this makes me wish the world really would end on the 21st.

There are too many evil people in this world

AbielleRose

Crazy Cat Lady
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
stainedglassinthenight.wordpress.com
This news is beyond words. I really hope no one in our AW family was affected. My heart goes out to those families, both who lost loved ones and who didn't but will have to watch their little kids grow up having gone through such a horrific ordeal.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm crying just imagining the pain of these families. And every child who had to witness this. And all those kids who may never feel safe again, because even if you're just sitting at your desk, focused on your work, some lunatic with a gun could run in and start murdering people.

I want to hug my little ones.

I have felt, at times, that security at my children's school is a little overdone. Today, I'm glad for it, even though I know that if someone was determined enough, they could still force their way in with a gun.