• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

The 'Marge Simpson noise'" and other forms of non-verbal communication

Status
Not open for further replies.

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
I recently read a kid's book that featured a lot of noises a bulldog can make. http://compare.ebay.com/like/330651769484?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

The author did a very good job reproducing the bulldog noises. Take a look and see if that help. One I use (it wasn't in the book) is plllllltt. That's a sort of short Bronx cheer, done by a bulldog.

Ya see, this is why onomatopoeia has to be used sparingly, because that random assembly of letters means absolutely nothing to me.

Basically, if the onomatopoeic word isn't something in such common useage it's almost become a stock sound effect, like crackle or hiss, you might as well just say 'made a growling noise' because you'll never get the reader to hear the sound exactly as you do. And does it even matter whether they do or not? The answer is usually no.

JayneFowler

Registered
Reaction score
I have little to no input for this thread, but I just wanted to let everyone know that it was virtually impossible for me to make it to the bottom without making the noises referred to in this thread out loud. And I think that has improved the quality of my weekend.

I was really relieved that I wasn't alone in this, until I realized that I wasn't alone in my living room.

Status
Not open for further replies.