Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The 'Marge Simpson noise'" and other forms of non-verbal communication

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Cool The 'Marge Simpson noise'" and other forms of non-verbal communication

[Apologies if this is in the wrong forum. Still relatively new! And I wasn't sure if I should use this one, grammar/syntax, or brainstorming]

So I'm in the middle of editing a fantasy story, and instead of writing a verb to describe a character's disapproval, I wrote [MARGE SIMPSON NOISE] as a placeholder. You know which one I'm talking about - that "mmmm" sound. I've yet to find a word that adequately describes it. Grunt? Grumble? All I've got right now is "sound of disapproval", and that doesn't quite do it for me. Suggestions?

While I'm on the topic of "Sounds of The Simpsons", whoever can describe the Sideshow-Bob-steps-on-dozens-of-rakes noise will have my undying gratitude.

I'm just spitballing here:

Growled in disapproval.

Grunted his displeasure.

Scoffed.

The first time you could go into more detail. Something like, "Her disapproval rumbled out from the back of her throat like an unhappy tiger."

"Like an unhappy tiger" sucks massive amounts of butt, but I can't think of anything better. My point is that you can start off with a some wordy descriptions to get your point across at first.

Oh, "like an angry purr."

Anyway, once you get your point across you can be more brief.
    Tech journalist & aspiring fiction author...GeekTells.

practical experience, FTW Atlantis's Avatar
    Made a sound of disapproval at the back of her throat.

Grunted

Groaned

Whacked

Smacked

Cracked

Whip-crack

Quote Originally Posted by AriAmaru View Post
    [Apologies if this is in the wrong forum. Still relatively new! And I wasn't sure if I should use this one, grammar/syntax, or brainstorming]

So I'm in the middle of editing a fantasy story, and instead of writing a verb to describe a character's disapproval, I wrote [MARGE SIMPSON NOISE] as a placeholder. You know which one I'm talking about - that "mmmm" sound. I've yet to find a word that adequately describes it. Grunt? Grumble? All I've got right now is "sound of disapproval", and that doesn't quite do it for me. Suggestions?

While I'm on the topic of "Sounds of The Simpsons", whoever can describe the Sideshow-Bob-steps-on-dozens-of-rakes noise will have my undying gratitude.
    I always thought the Marge Simpson noise sounded like a small growl. It's very similar to the noise some pets make, in fact, though a bit scratchier. Can't help you with the rake noise, though
    Please excuse me, I was raised by wolves.

My twitter - My FB - My blog

Nice question. I've always thought of it as a rumbling mmmm...lol not helpful.

"Bear trumps Elephants!" colealpaugh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AriAmaru View Post
    ... the Sideshow-Bob-steps-on-dozens-of-rakes noise ...
    No help, but there's an incredible life altering message after the ninth minute, although it doesn't work if you skip ahead.
    Facebook

Website

The Spy's Little Zonbi
    Coffeetown Press/2013

The Turtle-Girl from East Pukapuka
    Coffeetown Press/2012

The Bear in a Muddy Tutu
    Camel Press/2011

Disapproving hum?

Girl Detective AW Moderator Stacia Kane's Avatar
    I think the closest I can get to Sideshow Bob's noise is "uuu-uuuugh."
    http://www.staciakane.com

FIVE DOWN, a Downside anthology, available now!
    Four previously published short stories and one brand new novella, together in one volume.

Click here for more details.

WRONG WAYS DOWN available now!

I think this is something where I'd just use "Hmph" and an action/facial expression to show the emotion behind it. Not every noise made by humans or animals can be 'reproduced' by the written word - and many that are, shouldn't be.
    Je suis Charlie

"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

Passion is easy; commitment is hard.

The grad students did it NeuroFizz's Avatar
    Can you have the character do some kind of disapproving action? It would probably be way more intersting to the reader than trying to duplicate some non-word noise, and it could certainly help develop the three-dimensionality of that character better than a sound.
    Phoenix (Historical - 2006)First Place, 2007 Arizona Authors Assoc. Book Awards Whiskey Creek Press
    Something Bad (Horror - 2007) Medallion Press. Silver Medal, 2008 IPPY awards, Horror category
    Rollicking Anthropomorphisms (Poetry Collection - 2008) 2009 EPPIE Award Finalist Whiskey Creek Press
    Agnes Hahn (Psychological Suspense 2008) Medallion Press Silver Medal, 2009 IPPY awards, Horror category
    Imola (Sequel to Agnes Hahn 2009) - Medallion Press
    3.99 (Psychological Suspense/Mystery 2012) - Musa 2014 EPIC e-book awards Finalist, Paranormal category

I'm still trying to find a succinct way to describe that thing you do as a teenager where you stick your lower lip out and sigh loudly so that the resulting puff of air Across your face blows your bangs back. (Works best with Eighties hair.) Seems like there should be a word for it...

She looked at him with disapproval and a muffled hum in her throat.

I agree with Roxxsmom.
    She made a sound from deep in her throat, Mmmmm, a purr of disapproval.

That Sideshow Bob sound is always accompanied with a shiver.

Bronies, Bronies Everywhere acockey's Avatar
    phlemy throat clear or phlemy growl

Current WIP: V 33000/50,0000 (Alive Again Yay!!!)

New WIP: Phase-Washed Jeans: 5,000/ 80,000 (Once more into the breach of fantasy)

Check me out over at EliteCosplay.com... handle HandyAnimeAndy

These are all great suggestions! I particularly like "phlegmy" and "muffled hum".

Quote Originally Posted by NeuroFizz View Post
    Can you have the character do some kind of disapproving action? It would probably be way more intersting to the reader than trying to duplicate some non-word noise, and it could certainly help develop the three-dimensionality of that character better than a sound.
    I'll keep this in mind. I enjoy searching for the "perfect word" often, particularly strong active verbs, which is why I asked the question. But I agree, a good description of a disapproving action can be far more interesting!

practical experience, FTW Seraph's Avatar
    I like "hummed with disapproval" or "hummed his/her disapproval," maybe accompanied by a negative gesture or action like Neuro said, like a frown or head shake or snort. You could try on some onomatopoeia, "Mmmmmmh," he disagreed, for example, see if it reads well.
    Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

If you set the context, a simple "hmm" could work.

"Do it. Do it now! I know you want to."
    "Hmm," she wasn't quite so sure. The toothbrush had been in the toilet bowl after all, even if he had disinfected it.

Quote Originally Posted by ave View Post
    If you set the context, a simple "hmm" could work.

"Do it. Do it now! I know you want to."
    "Hmm," she wasn't quite so sure. The toothbrush had been in the toilet bowl after all, even if he had disinfected it.
    I think this illustrates exactly why you're better off just going with 'disapproving hum' or something of that ilk. If I didn't know you were after the 'Marge Simpson noise' here, I'd take the 'Hmm' in this example as a noise of consideration, like a, 'should I, or shouldn't I?"
    Blogging at The Doubting Writer

"An Unexpected Reunion" in Winter's Regret, from Elephant's Bookshelf Press.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffo20 View Post
    I think this illustrates exactly why you're better off just going with 'disapproving hum' or something of that ilk. If I didn't know you were after the 'Marge Simpson noise' here, I'd take the 'Hmm' in this example as a noise of consideration, like a, 'should I, or shouldn't I?"
    yeah- That's what I was going for- I submit, I haven't watched the simpsons for about ten years so I am more than likely misunderstanding the OP.

That said, lets not get too stuck on the example. I guess the point I'm making is that you don't always have to use verbs. There are some things that are too clunky to describe accurately and succinctly. This is when thought and dialogue can add an entirely new set of brushes to a writers toolbox.

Stay in and write. Erin Latimer's Avatar
    I would go with,

She gave a disapproving growl.
    I make weird videos about writing:

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheELatimer

I Blog:
    http://elatimer.com/

I haz the Twitters: http://twitter.com/ELatimerWrites

Reflectric
    It depends a bit on your writing style, I think. If you're writing in a Douglas Adams/Terry Pratchett style, you could probably get away with describing it in a jokey style - something like "she made a disapproving noise, you know, like the one made by aquarium owners when you walk in with a fishing rod" (only funny). Otherwise yeah, "disapproving groan/growl/grunt/murmur".

Banned
    She pursed her lips into a tight disapproving line, "hmmm."

Super Procrastinator Kallithrix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacia Kane View Post
    I think the closest I can get to Sideshow Bob's noise is "uuu-uuuugh."
    *smack*

uRUUURuRuRUururuURuurURuURuRUR
    courtesy of lunchbox0590
    "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

The King Who Bore the Sword J.W. Alden's Avatar
    I have little to no input for this thread, but I just wanted to let everyone know that it was virtually impossible for me to make it to the bottom without making the noises referred to in this thread out loud. And I think that has improved the quality of my weekend.
    Blog | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads

Read me:

"Möbius" in Nature
    "The Unworthy" in Fantasy Scroll Magazine
    "Child Soldier" in Daily Science Fiction
    "Item Not As Described" in Unidentified Funny Objects 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast