Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: When writing your log line,

When writing your log line,

Would it be considered misleading if your log line, whether its eight words or sixteen words, makes the agent laugh if it's not intended as a comedy?

Girl Detective AW Moderator Stacia Kane's Avatar
    In cahoots with the other boo-birds
    I don't know about misleading, but I'd consider it a failure if agents were laughing at my query when I didn't specifically intend them to, and would immediately write a different query.

FIVE DOWN, a Downside anthology, available now!
    Four previously published short stories and one brand new novella, together in one volume.

Click here for more details.

WRONG WAYS DOWN available now!

Travel biologist, piss-poor fluffer quicklime's Avatar
    log line???
    Three words that convey the meaning of six will always look better than twelve...

Help a (Koch) brother out: Scotty for President!

a' traveling:
    --August, anytime: probably Houston

Hopeful romantic/hopeless pedant ARoyce's Avatar
    Quicklime--a log line is another name for the one-two sentence pitch that's frequently used at the beginning of a query: http://www.absolutewrite.com/screenw...y_quandary.htm

JustSarah--like Stacia, I'd be wary of using a pitch/log line that's very different in tone from the actual story. If there's some humor in the story, then a funny pitch may be fine...but if it's a serious or even tragic story, humor may work against you. For instance, you might catch the agent's eye, but then if s/he requests more material, the sharp difference between the query's tone and the actual manuscript may be jarring or seen as inappropriate.

There's no hard-and-fast rule on this...but it's probably worth posting your query in Query Letter Hell (in AW's Share Your Work thread...after you've reached 50 posts) to see how people perceive it.
    Living my Happily Ever After and writing imaginary ones

Web site ~ Twitter ~ Facebook

Temporarily Sabrina AW Moderator Sage's Avatar
    Excellent question
    Sometimes I'll have funny lines in my query to match the voice of the novel, even if the story itself is dark or serious. But that's novel--and writer--specific, and an agent would know to expect a similar voice in the novel.

I think, though, it would be hard to accurately portray an unfunny novel in a funny one-line pitch.
    Buffyish serial: NaNoWriMo (but abandoned for aPB)
    Select episodes on Wattpad

Hero/Villain: Querying
    Super/Human: In Book 2 Limbo
    Master/Puppet: With betas

A Paranormal Bromance: Revising now!

This week, I'm in: Washington!!!!