Thank Goodness for the Tech Forum here...DVD burner problem... (solved)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChristinaLayton

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Hello.

I am Chris and I just joined the community. After visiting the new members' forum I noticed there was a Tech Forum on here. I wanna thank you for that, for being so thoughtful with your members to have a tech forum open for their needs.

I have a DVD burner problem. This is weird because it can use the DVD burner program to burn my home movies into DVD just fine, but it can't copy files to DVD. When I open the drive on my computer, it detects it as a CD Drive, and that might be the problem. I've had this DVD burner since July of this year and I'd never attempted to copy files to DVD, I've only used it to burn DVD's to be able to watch 'em on my DVD player.

The DVD player is Lite-On Brand. I am gonna post a picture on here of it later on. My OS is Windows XP home edition and this computer is three years old. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
C. Layton.

Last edited:

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, just grab a model number or name in case it's a very specific problem. How is the DVD connected? Inside a tower or via USB for a laptop or tower, etc?

Charles Farley

Bango Skank
Registered
Reaction score
What program are you using to burn DVDs?

I ask because if the program is specific to what files it will burn it might only burn video files.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Have you tried just copying the files to the DVD using Windows Explorer rather than a DVD burner program? (As Charles Farley said, the burner program may be specialized for video files.)

For basic file storage & transport, & even for certain TV-friendly purposes, you may be better off using a USB flash drive rather than a DVD -- for one thing, flash drive capacity tends to be substantially greater than a DVD.

ChristinaLayton

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
What program are you using to burn DVDs?

I ask because if the program is specific to what files it will burn it might only burn video files.

No, I am using Windows Explorer to try to copy the folders to DVD.

Yeah, just grab a model number or name in case it's a very specific problem. How is the DVD connected? Inside a tower or via USB for a laptop or tower, etc?

I just made a Photobucket account to upload my pictures on to there and then upload them here. It's three things: what my computer detects my dvd burner as, what happens when i try to copy a file or folder to dvd from Windows Explorer, and what the dvd burner appears as (what kind of hardware) in my computer, as in My Computer. :)

Have you tried just copying the files to the DVD using Windows Explorer rather than a DVD burner program? (As Charles Farley said, the burner program may be specialized for video files.)

I use Freemake Video Converter to burn my home movies on to DVD so we can view them on our DVD player.

For basic file storage & transport, & even for certain TV-friendly purposes, you may be better off using a USB flash drive rather than a DVD -- for one thing, flash drive capacity tends to be substantially greater than a DVD.

I just ordered a 2-GB flash drive in walmart (online) and I only plan to use that for my word-processing files, my novels. My DVD's are 4.7 GB in capacity and the folders I'm trying to transfer are all smaller than that, combined, so I think it might be a drive-compatibility problem. In that case I'm gonna have to invest on a laptop, for its integrated DVD burner, so that I don't have this problem, and give this DVD burner drive back to my aunt, which was the one that bought it for me. If this doesn't work out I'ma try to invest in a laptop by next month because if something happens to this computer, I'll lose all those files that are important to me.

ChristinaLayton

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
OK, here's picture 1. I'm not sure what it's showing because the thumbnails for the photos are not showing for some reason. '

wheniputtheblankdvdin-forabsolutewriteforum_zpsa7d3cf8e.png

whatmycomputerdetectsmydvdburnerdriveras_zps7f20019f.png

whathappenswhenitrytocopysomethingtodvd_zps4fb38e7a.png

Next picture in next post will be a little blurry because it was taken with my netbook's webcam. I hope you guys will be able to see the serial number and model number of the drive. :)

Thanks for your help!
Chris.

Last edited:

ChristinaLayton

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
OK, this is weird, for some reason images #2 and #3 are not appearing right there in the post. I hope you guys don't mind having to click on the links. I still don't quite understand coding and all that. I don't know how i got the first image right and the others wrong.

Edited to add: I finally got it right. Turns out I copied and pasted the URL and when I put the image tags I forgot to delete the codes from the images, and now I know it's the [img] tag along with the link. :) Thanks C.

Charles Farley

Bango Skank
Registered
Reaction score
ok . . . first . . try only copying the contents of the folder not the whole folder itself . . . downloads is a system folder and windows might think you are trying to copy it onto another operating system . . .its protected and cant be copied . .

second . . . when using explorer to "copy" files to a cd/dvd it will store the copies in a temp folder and you still have to use another program to burn the images to the disk . . . the default is windows media player . . .

I cant remember exactly right now but I think if you click on the cd icon it will show you have files that are ready to burn and it will ask what you want to do with them . . .

Edit: . . . I just looked at your first image again . . . you dont have a program enabled to burn files to a blank cd . . .

ChristinaLayton

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Edit: . . . I just looked at your first image again . . . you don't have a program enabled to burn files to a blank cd . . .

Can I download one from the internet? I'd never encountered this situation before. Usually, I'd burn files and whole folders to blank CD's and DVD's all the time, but it's been in laptops or desktops that already had a DVD burner integrated.

Thanks for your help, Mr. Farley!

Christina.

Charles Farley

Bango Skank
Registered
Reaction score
There are a few I could recommend but I'm worried about that picture you posted . . . windows should automatically use media player to burn files . . .it looks like there is some sort of corruption going on . . .

which program do you use for DVDs?

ChristinaLayton

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
There are a few I could recommend but I'm worried about that picture you posted . . . windows should automatically use media player to burn files . . .it looks like there is some sort of corruption going on . . .

which program do you use for DVDs?

Freemake Video Converter. You're right, I'd never had a problem like this with any computer. I've had 3 different computers in my life time, borrowed several, and I'd always been able to copy files to CD and DVD with no problem at all.

Thank you so much. I'll look into that one.

ChristinaLayton

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Good news! I am using the Infra Recorder program that cbenoi1 recommended and it's wonderful!! Right now it's burning my very first data DVD, and it has the capability to burn audio CD's and create video DVD's too, for the home movies I make all the time! All I needed in one little 4 MB program!! Thank you guys so much!!

Sincerely,
Chris.

Status
Not open for further replies.